www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 14th, 2009, 11:36   #1
CSM Jetta
Veteran Member

Default New way to change transmission fluid?

Well I'm going to get my transmission fluid changed today (maybe) but when I called the shop they said that they don't take the bellypan off and change the filter, gaskets etc. but rather they just flush the entire transmission. I thought the filter and gaskets was supposed to be changed but has anyone else heard of it being done this way?
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:58   #2
rackaracka
Veteran Member

I'd be very concerned with getting a transmission flush on your 01M transmission from some shop. I am assuming you're going to some transmission shop and not a VW guru. Who knows what type of fluid they'll be putting in. The trans is described as a "Sealed System" and does not have a dipstick for checking fluid level. The fluid is a special mineral oil based product and is not compatible with other ATFs. You need the VagCom to properly monitor interal transmission temperature in order to proprely fill the transmission, and you definately want to change the filter. Do yourself a big favor and find a guru to properly service your transmission if you want it to last.
rackaracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:20   #3
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

^^ what he said.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:28   #4
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

ditto
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:44   #5
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

Valvoline Dexron/Mecron fluid says on the bottle it works in VWs prior to 2006

-Jason
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 13:27   #6
spleecho
I don't kill trees Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: Lowest 36.1, Highest 53.7, AVG 44.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85
Valvoline Dexron/Mecron fluid says on the bottle it works in VWs prior to 2006

-Jason
Yea it does but it voids third party extended warranties
spleecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 13:30   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

I flush them all the time, but use the correct VW ATF, Pentosin branded. We have adapters for the banjo bolts on the cooler.

However, with the 01M it is always best (IMHO) to drop the pan and see if any large chunks are looming.
Old July 14th, 2009, 14:58   #8
CSM Jetta
Veteran Member

well after having the shop look at the transmission they are going to hook it up to the vagcom tomorrow and check for codes.

No fluid was changed today as they thought they could fix the problem without doing so and the fluid looked good according to them.

I'm going to take the car in tomorrow and see what they find out then post here

thanks for the info and advice!

Rackaracka- I was looking for a guru in my area but the place i checked in raleigh wanted $300+ to do a fluid swap. Which to me seemed really high but I didnt get any feedback here when I asked what a transmission fluid change normally costs so i have nothing to compare it to.

Last edited by CSM Jetta; July 14th, 2009 at 15:10.
CSM Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 20:46   #9
CSM Jetta
Veteran Member

Okay so after asking what it would costctlchook up the vagcom I decided to find someone in th area who has one that I can hook upto for a few minutes to see If any codes are showing. Anyone know or a vagcom in th triangle that I could go visit?
Old July 14th, 2009, 20:47   #10
rackaracka
Veteran Member

CSM - Sorry you don't live in NJ or I'd tell you to head over to my place. This job is not that difficult, but it is a bit time consuming (probably 2 hours) which might be why that shop is charging so much. Besides cleaning everything well and re-assembling, it is time consuming to pump fluid into the trans, run the vehicle and cycle thru the gears, and then wait for the transmission temperature (on vagcom) to get to specific range... Then, you put a plug in to stop the overflow pipe from draining.

Here is an awesome post from Drivbiwire that details this whole process so that you can get a better education and at least know what you're potentially hiring someone to do.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/driv...0Procedure.pdf
rackaracka is offline   Reply With Quote