www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 14th, 2009, 01:37   #1
themfc

Default Peeling overcoat/clearcoat

Hello All,

The clear overcoat on the bonnet/hood of my car is starting to peel off. I am not sure if overcoat is the correct term. It is the clear coating over the paint. Several spots, of varying size, mainly along the front of the bonnet. These patches do not necessarily correspond with stone chips. Also, have one starting on the top side of the boot/trunk. I noticed a few other Passats of similar vintage and they seem to be in the same state.

Is there any way to halt this before it all peels away? Is there a way to "fill in" the patches that are already there? Could I do any of this myself or is a paint-shop required? Many thanks in advance.
themfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 09:30   #2
abctdi
Veteran Member

Not bad for an 11 year old that may have been painted with environmentally friendly coatings...
Here in the US, from 1996-99, many cars are peeling and fading for the same reason.
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra, premature cam wear? now driven only once or twice a week
2012 Kia Optima SX turbo, 274 hp, 269 ft-lb @ 1750-4500 rpm, corsa blue, new daily driver
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 09:43   #3
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

I am afraid the real solution is for a proper repaint. There is no cheap fix for proper job.
Old July 14th, 2009, 21:17   #4
DezlDan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800 km per tank (avg)

Just out of curiosity, do you know whether these panels may have already been repainted at time in the past; maybe by a previous owner as a result of some damage? Peeling as you describe is very atypical for VW's. Their body and paint standards are pretty high, and this is not common at all.

I agree with the others. A proper and full repaint and clear coat needs to be done. Anything short of that will result in the problem returning, as there appears to be an adhesion problem. This makes me think that the panels you describe may have been repainted at some point, and not properly prepped.

"In a world of shrinking sedans, it's more fun to take the wagon."
DezlDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 00:52   #5
themfc

Default Thank you

I have the car since 2000. I was informed of some work done on one of the front side panels by the previous owner. But not the bonnet/hood. It is possible that some work was done on it and I was not told. The only thing that throws me is seeing the same type of peeling on other cars of about the same age.

I had a look over at vortex and it seems to be a fairly common thing for these cars. Also the B5.5. I dont think it is worth a respray. May try something myself at some stage.

Thank you for the replies.
themfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:27   #6
SnowCub
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 CDI
Fuel Economy: 29 mpg

I have had good luck with paint scratch They sell colour matched paint, wet sanding paper and clear coat spray cans with instructions on how to blend the paint. I need to do my Mercedes at some point this Summer and got my supplies from them. The clear coat on my trunk came off last winter while chipping ice off the back window.

...former TDI A4, B4V owner...
SnowCub is offline   Reply With Quote