www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old July 10th, 2009, 20:11   #1
JetBlu

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 46 mpg
Default Tacho 2.5 reading PIN and programming key

I used the Vag Tacho 2.5 program to program a new key for my 2002 Jetta. I am writing this in hopes that it will help others to get keys programmed without going to the stealership.

I am going to go over what I did to program my new key, If you follow these instructions, it is at your own discretion and I am in no way responsible for any negative consequences.

1. I ordered a spare key blank some time ago and it had been sitting in a drawer for a while. This is a key with an immobilizer chip, but no FOB.

2. I also bought a vag-tacho cable that came with the vagtacho program, it also had been sitting for several months.

3. I first needed to get the key cut. I tried 3 different VW dealers and ones key-cutter had been broke a while and the other 2 did not have a key cutter. They only ordered keys using the VIN that came precut. Inquiring I got info that a Valet key would be around $65 and a flip-key with new FOB would be around $165 plus programming ($ didn't ask).
To get the key cut I had to go to the AUDI dealership where I was there for a total of 15 minutes. The trace cut the blank from my only key for a total w/tax of $8.74.

4. After installing the program on my laptop, I plugged it the tacho cable and went to the car, Plug in the OBD-II plus into the connector, the green light on the cable will be lit. Start the Vag-Tacho program, after it is up an running, using your old key turn the ignition to on, but do not start the car.

5. On the program go to top, click on select ECU and put the check mark next to 'VDO New'
Now select the button labelled 'Connect Selected ECU'. I first got a message telling me 'Selected ECU Not Found! Try again or Select other ECU!' Going with the first option I tried again by clicking on 'Connect Selected ECU'. I had to do this 3 times before it finally connected and gave me an OK message.

6. After Connecting 'OK', There are more options that become available on the bottom buttons. I first selected 'Read PIN'. replied okay reading, my four digit PIN was revealed and I commited it to memory.

7. I then was ready to proceed with the programming of the NEW Freshly cut key. To begin make sure that the ignition is on with the OLD ALREADY WORKING KEY. Click on 'Program New Key'. A box will pop up with '0000' displayed where your four digit PIN gotten from step 6. I entered the PIN and did not change any other options. Erase all keys WAS NOT selected. The Channel defaulted to 21 so I did not change it.

8. Click on program new key, the program does its magic, my immobilizer idiot light was now flashing. The program then tells you to turn off the ignition, insert the NEW TO BE PROGRAMMED KEY, turn the key back to on, but do not attempt to start the car, Wait 5 Seconds. After 5 Seconds, my immobilizer light was off and I now have 2 keys that will start my car.

*****I originally started with the NEW KEY in the Ignition, I turned the key off and back on to program it. This ends up disabling the original key. I now had to used the NEW KEY and follow the correct directions to reprogram my old key, It worked flawlessly, without a hitch first time. **************

Hopefully this will help someone who like me was searching for this info and you will not have to do as I did and put pieces and parts from different locations.

Good Luck!!
2002 Blue Jetta- Ventectomy, 5-speed manual swap, Black Leather swap, VagTacho key programming. Hybrid Oilpan, PP520's, HammerMod IQ=6, DG ShortShifter, Zerostart, ONCCV, Neuspeed LS w/TC sports. Coming Soon- DG Panzer

1984 MB 300sd (diesel)
1970 Olds 442- 6 mpg(not diesel )
2005 Acura TL

-T-

Last edited by JetBlu; July 10th, 2009 at 20:47.
JetBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 23:23   #2
blizzard60
Veteran Member

Nice write-up! Thanks!
blizzard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:12   #3
wfg97079
Veteran Member

Default more than one key?

I currently have 2 keys that work with my car and I have one cut key that does not. Would the procedure be any different with two working keys and one new key?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlu
I used the Vag Tacho 2.5 program to program a new key for my 2002 Jetta. I am writing this in hopes that it will help others to get keys programmed without going to the stealership.

I am going to go over what I did to program my new key, If you follow these instructions, it is at your own discretion and I am in no way responsible for any negative consequences.

1. I ordered a spare key blank some time ago and it had been sitting in a drawer for a while. This is a key with an immobilizer chip, but no FOB.

2. I also bought a vag-tacho cable that came with the vagtacho program, it also had been sitting for several months.

3. I first needed to get the key cut. I tried 3 different VW dealers and ones key-cutter had been broke a while and the other 2 did not have a key cutter. They only ordered keys using the VIN that came precut. Inquiring I got info that a Valet key would be around $65 and a flip-key with new FOB would be around $165 plus programming ($ didn't ask).
To get the key cut I had to go to the AUDI dealership where I was there for a total of 15 minutes. The trace cut the blank from my only key for a total w/tax of $8.74.

4. After installing the program on my laptop, I plugged it the tacho cable and went to the car, Plug in the OBD-II plus into the connector, the green light on the cable will be lit. Start the Vag-Tacho program, after it is up an running, using your old key turn the ignition to on, but do not start the car.

5. On the program go to top, click on select ECU and put the check mark next to 'VDO New'
Now select the button labelled 'Connect Selected ECU'. I first got a message telling me 'Selected ECU Not Found! Try again or Select other ECU!' Going with the first option I tried again by clicking on 'Connect Selected ECU'. I had to do this 3 times before it finally connected and gave me an OK message.

6. After Connecting 'OK', There are more options that become available on the bottom buttons. I first selected 'Read PIN'. replied okay reading, my four digit PIN was revealed and I commited it to memory.

7. I then was ready to proceed with the programming of the NEW Freshly cut key. To begin make sure that the ignition is on with the OLD ALREADY WORKING KEY. Click on 'Program New Key'. A box will pop up with '0000' displayed where your four digit PIN gotten from step 6. I entered the PIN and did not change any other options. Erase all keys WAS NOT selected. The Channel defaulted to 21 so I did not change it.

8. Click on program new key, the program does its magic, my immobilizer idiot light was now flashing. The program then tells you to turn off the ignition, insert the NEW TO BE PROGRAMMED KEY, turn the key back to on, but do not attempt to start the car, Wait 5 Seconds. After 5 Seconds, my immobilizer light was off and I now have 2 keys that will start my car.

*****I originally started with the NEW KEY in the Ignition, I turned the key off and back on to program it. This ends up disabling the original key. I now had to used the NEW KEY and follow the correct directions to reprogram my old key, It worked flawlessly, without a hitch first time. **************

Hopefully this will help someone who like me was searching for this info and you will not have to do as I did and put pieces and parts from different locations.

Good Luck!!
wfg97079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:52   #4
JetBlu

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 46 mpg

Yes the procedure would be the same, If you happen to start with the wrong key, then you would have to recode all three. But, still using the same process.
2002 Blue Jetta- Ventectomy, 5-speed manual swap, Black Leather swap, VagTacho key programming. Hybrid Oilpan, PP520's, HammerMod IQ=6, DG ShortShifter, Zerostart, ONCCV, Neuspeed LS w/TC sports. Coming Soon- DG Panzer

1984 MB 300sd (diesel)
1970 Olds 442- 6 mpg(not diesel )
2005 Acura TL

-T-
JetBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:47   #5
pbraunton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: yes i am anal with this, ...it is all in the book, in the car, .......

Can i ask where you purchased VAG Tacho?, .......

you can pm me if you would like?

thanks
www.regroovenate.com
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 19:37   #6
BENDERS
Veteran Member

I would also like to purchase vag tacho. Where is the best place to buy one?
2000 Jetta GLS TDi : Diesel geek egr delete, Frost heater, Bilstien tc suspension, Old navy ccv, R32 Pedals, Audi TT short shifter, Sprint 520 nozzles, Stage 3 Malone Tune with Dynamic Idle, New south performance boost guage/apillar pod, "OMI", SBC stage 1 clutch kit with G60 flywheel, 17" long beach rims, Mufflerectomy.
Wife's Car 2006 Jetta TDi DSG, Stage 1.5 Malone tune/Dynamic Idle, Dynamic EGR
BENDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:54   #7
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG 20%hwy,80% citi;48 MPG hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDERS
I would also like to purchase vag tacho. Where is the best place to buy one?
http://opelinfo.com/
Or you can get one pirate from ebay and pray to be good one and work. And you can use only 2.5 version .If you use newer version it will destroy it.
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
MK6 Needle Sweep,MK5 Needle Illumination
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 18:42   #8
jayb79
Veteran Member

Great write up
ttt so I can find it in week or 2.
Old September 16th, 2010, 17:03   #9
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

I had to reload all the software on my computer and can not find my copy of the older software. Every place I look says not to use the later 3.0 and up software so where can I find an older copy? Thanks I got it.
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.

Last edited by Birdman; September 16th, 2010 at 19:28.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 18:06   #10
Steve99
Veteran Member

google is your friend.
Old September 16th, 2010, 19:23   #11
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve99 View Post
google is your friend.
Thanks Beavis, wonder who will bother to help you when you need it.
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 21:11   #12
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

I've got a big question for this. I've got an chipped ECU that the guy selling it can't find his SKC. He's parting out the car and can't find the key. We're giving it a shot to see if I can program it for another Passat.

Problem is that I have the info from the original ECU and cluster (using Tacho) and programmed the new keys that were purchased for the car already. VTacho works and the SKC for the original is correct.

If you read the used ECU while plugged into the vehicle it's being transplanted into, you'll get the SKC for the cluster which is on the vehicle, you can't read the used ECU this way.

I need the SKC for the used ECU being transplanted into this vehicle. Any ideas on how to do this - getting the SKC for his vehicle with out the ECU installed in his vehicle, which is in CA?

I've pretty much tried all I can.
Thanks for any help guys!
jcaimhigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:07   #13
jetta ,97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaimhigher View Post

Problem is that I have the info from the original ECU and cluster (using Tacho) and programmed the new keys that were purchased for the car already. VTacho works and the SKC for the original is correct.

If you read the used ECU while plugged into the vehicle it's being transplanted into, you'll get the SKC for the cluster which is on the vehicle, you can't read the used ECU this way.
This is happening because you need to read SKC form ECU not from cluster. You can plug new ECU but if you not reading ECU you will not gret SKC for it.
If you have latest version of VAG-TACHO there is option for it .
It will say Engine ECU 7.xx or EDC15.
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:28   #14
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check today. I think I have 2.2 version.

I don't remember if there was an option to read it that way. I know there is on Commander.
jcaimhigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 17:00   #15
jetta ,97

You have to have last version of VAG-TACHO to be able to do this.Or any tool that can read ECU SKC.Like VAGCommander,VAG-LOGIN