Climatronic Compatibility

Remotec

TDI
GT-TDI 2001 Silver
Hi,

I have to swap out the climatronic unit on my Passat. There are loads available on Ebay but I am wondering if all of the part numbers are compatible with each other.

The part number from mine is:

3B2 907 044 J

I can easily get units:
- with the suffix A
- with the prefix 3B1

... but not one with the exact part number.

Will the other units be compatible?

Thanks.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Your part number has been dropped. It is replaced by 3B1 907 044 J.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
3B1------A got replaced by B that got replaced by C.

The difference between a 3B2 and a 3B1 is that the '2' designates the part for right hand drive, and '1' is left hand drive.

3B2 --- --- C is listed as current part for the RHD B5 model. I don't know if it is compatible with your car.

The only current listing for your B5.5 is 3B1 907 044 J.

Remotec

TDI
GT-TDI 2001 Silver
Thanks again for the information.

I managed to source a 3B2 907 044 J and fitted it.

However, this unit is also completely dead leading me to think there is an electrical problem. Maybe this would explain the radio interference and also the back light flickering on the previous version.

The person who is helping me needs the wiring diagrams for the unit so he can test if its getting power.

Is this something you could help me with? Or point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Disconnect the unit from the wiring harness.
With an ohm meter check that pins 9 and 12 of the 12 pin black connector have continuity to ground.
With the ignition on, does pin 8 of the 16 pin brown connector measure 5 volts?
Do fuses 5 and 15 have battery voltage with ignition on?

Remotec

TDI
GT-TDI 2001 Silver
Hi, thanks for your advice and I checked the above today:

Pins 9 and 12 of black contector have no continuity to ground.
Pin 8 of hte 16 pin brown connector measures 12 volts (if Ive recalled this correctly).
Fuse 5 had blown and has been replaced.

Situation now:
Panel is back on and running however there is no a/c. The switch for Auto displaces "Auto" on the panel however there is no cold air (even on LO setting) and there is no relay click sound from under the dash.
Possibly contected to the continuity problem?
I also have a "bad earth" sound when listening to my mp3 which connects through the CD changer of the radio unit. The radio is unaffected however.
Fuse 15 has battery voltage even with ignition off.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Verify that 9 and 12 are solid brown or brown/white colour wires. Solid brown is always earth. If you don't get contintuity to earth, you've got a problem else where on that wire.

Also check pin 15 of the 16 pin black connector (should be solid brown). It should be an earth wire. It goes to ground next to the relay panel.

Radio earth is below the center console.

Have you tried disconnecting the mp3 to see if it is causing the issue?

Remotec

TDI
GT-TDI 2001 Silver
Will look at the MP3 and the above.

Was driving the other day and hit the defrost for the front window (which redirects air and turns up fans) and Fuse 5 blew again!

Any thoughts on what could cause that. It was raining at the time.

Remotec

TDI
GT-TDI 2001 Silver
Update on this problem...

1a. Pressure switch changed as relay 267 needs this to operate and it was showing as a fault.

1b. Gas topped up to the correct 600gram level.

Now it seems to get stranger...

2. Relay 267 does not appear to "click" in/out when ECON/AUTO is selected. However my guy has checked that there is power going to it. Additionally he has taken out the relay and bridged it so that power goes to the compressor. However the compressor does not come to life.

3. We have taken a feed from the battery to the compressor and then the compressor runs.

So....

The only things that are needed to actuate relay 267 are Fuse 5 and I think pin 6 of the climatronic unit. Fuse 5 is fine and a new climatronic unit has been fitted.

Im thinking now there is a break somewhere between 267 and the compressor. Or that 267 is faulty. I think it should still click even if what it is feeding has a break in the connection?

Any ideas?

Cheers.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Take out the relay. Apply 12V to pin 85, and earth pin 86 briefly. The relay should click. If you also apply 12V to pin 30, and a voltmeter between pin 87 and earth, the voltmeter should react when you do the test.

The relay is bad if either test fails (click or voltmeter reaction).

While you have the relay out, with the ignition on you should get battery voltage at the corresponding socket position for pin 85 and 30.

Remotec

TDI
GT-TDI 2001 Silver
Hi all,
Sorry for not replying for some months on this. I would appreciate any help however as the problem is still on going.

The situation now is that pressing AUTO on the climatronic panel does not engage the compressor.

The following has been done:

- Changed climatronic control unit.
- Changed relay 267.
- Checked compressor directly from battery - it works.
- Wiring has been checked from relevant pins at relay 267 to compressor and there is continuity.
- No faults on the system according to the computer

The only problem now remaining in the system is here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223698

This relates to the "flap" that moves position to allow air to be recirculated or from outside. For some reason, when the vehicle is moving at below 20mph this flap seems to open and close - you can hear this inside the cabin as a continual clicking noise - but only at less than 20mph!

Should I get this changed to?

The car is up to 230,000 miles now so some problems are expected - wonder if its easier and cheaper to get a new car!

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
If you are still having problems, I believe you may find that the "J" unit you have put in is for a later Passat that uses canbus for a lot of the connections, so it is wired differently into the car.

See here:
http://www.passatplus.de/umbauten/climatronic/3BG_in_3B/index.htm

for a comparison list of connections at the unit

Also the bottom of this page has a list of all the Climatronic modules:

http://www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/relais/index.htm

You will see the "J" version is only for 3BG Passats with CANBUS