www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 1st, 2009, 22:40   #1
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

Default Hate to ask this here

I am sorry for asking this gasser question here, but I do not know where to go. My dad bought my younger brother a 2002 Passat 1.8T just a couple of days ago. It has 104000 miles and I think the timing belt needs to be replaced as he does not know the history on it. I am going to talk to Aaron (BleachedBora) in the morning about the kit. I already emailed him and he said he has it, he just likes talking to a guy in person, I just think this is great. What I need to know is if anyone has seen a write up for the TB change like we have for our TDIs. That write up was a life saver when I changed my belt. I will make sure that he gets the Bentley for the car as well. (OK, I just found a write up on passatworld, but they still use white out to mark for the belt.) Do I need any special tools? I was doing some light reading on passatworld.com and it looks like the guys over there were recommending using the mark and pray technique. After doing my TB I would not think that would be a good way for doing any TB.

If anyone has any input or can point me in a good direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Michael

2003 Jetta 5 Speed 166K miles. Malone stage 1.5 clutch saver tune until I upgrade my clutch. Titan 502 big hole injectors. Ventectomy, EGR and cooler delete, Euro Switch, Home made custom HID.
79TA7.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 22:42   #2
Sip'n Diesel
Veteran Newbie

Fuel Economy: 900 miles on 16.9 gallons - Personal Endurance Record
Smile

http://www.vwvortex.com

(they may or may not have any input, though)
2003 Jetta GL - 5 Speed Manual - Alaska Green - Dieselgeek Panzer Plate & Full Metal Jacket - DGRP - ScanGaugeII - WeatherTech Deflectors - Vent Delete - DRL Delete - Muffler Delete - KONI STR.T - Redneck Armrest - 5 Brake Lights - Otherwise all stock, for now
Sip'n Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 22:43   #3
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

I assisted doing this on my dad's 1.8t passat. Get the bently, it will make everything easier. I got the full timing belt kit from ECS Tuning. Because I replaced the water pump I drained the coolant and disconnected the radiator, allowing me to swing the whole front of the car out of the way. It made chaning the belt very easy. After you tension the belt and pull the pin on the tensioner's damper don't expect it to move up much, it's just there to make up for belt stretch.

-Jason
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 22:45   #4
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

Sip'n,
I have been there looking around and all I really see is a lot of whining and bickering. I will be honest though, I have not looked to see if they do have good info of the TB change though. I was just hoping that some of these greatly nice people here might be able to help.

2003 Jetta 5 Speed 166K miles. Malone stage 1.5 clutch saver tune until I upgrade my clutch. Titan 502 big hole injectors. Ventectomy, EGR and cooler delete, Euro Switch, Home made custom HID.
Old June 1st, 2009, 22:49   #5
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

Jason,
Did this pin come with the kit? I am planning on replacing everything that touches the belt just as I did in my TDI, so the pump will get replaced too. I am really hoping that I can get the kit from Aaron as he helped me greatly with my last belt change. He has ben great to deal with. I will call him in the morning, noon his time, and see what his kit will consist of.

Old June 1st, 2009, 22:50   #6
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

A good place to check is www.passatworld.com They have a good deal of information. Just make sure you use the proper synthetic oil for this engine!
Old June 1st, 2009, 22:50   #7
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

The pin is installed on the new tensioner at the factory.

-J
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 22:54   #9
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

From my understanding, mark and pray is "okay" on a gasser since they don't have the lockdown tools that there are for a TDI. Also the belt tension/routing don't require sprockets to be free to rotate during tensioning of the belt.

Take this with a grain of salt though since I've never even looked at a 1.8T.

2000 NB 3 pedal mod RC3 PP520's Eurojet SMIC SBC 3 2.5" side exit straight pipe2" lift

TDICADDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 22:55   #10
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

Aaron,
I got to thinking, I will be in a meeting from 9-10 pacific time. Are you one or two hours ahead of me? Either way I will find the time to call you.

Leicaman,
I read about the sludge issue with this motor. I will most definatly let my dad know. His wife has a Mercedes so they probably know about the synthetic.

Old June 1st, 2009, 23:01   #11
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

Ok, I was looking at the ECSTuning site and there are a lot of different motor codes in these B5s. How I tell which one is in my brother's car? All I know about it at the moment is that it is a 2002 and it is an automatic. I think my dad said something about a dual overhead cam. Do they all have DOHC or did my dad look at something wrong?

Old June 1st, 2009, 23:05   #12
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

I believe those are DOHC engines. Engine code should be on the cylinder head.

Metalman has this kit:
http://www.metalmanparts.com/product...&productId=359

2000 NB 3 pedal mod RC3 PP520's Eurojet SMIC SBC 3 2.5" side exit straight pipe2" lift

TDICADDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 23:29   #13
Matthew_S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-46

The engine code should be AWM and all 1.8ts are DOHC. The 1.8t is one of the easiest engine to accidentally get the timing belt a tooth off. It will probably drive you crazy because the timing marks will usually never line up. After you have done a few you figure it out but the first one can be frustrating.
Matthew_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:03   #15
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Engine code is on the tab on the front of the cylinder head (you will need to remove the cover to see it, or at least pull it up). 2002 B5 will be the AWM though.

This engine has no pins or anything, so it can be tricky to get the belt lined up with the marks. It is easiest to put the lower pulley back on, so that you can use its mark and the reference mark on the t-belt cover.

The B5 1.8t is by far WAY easier than the A4, due to the fact that you can pull the whole front end loose and do not have to fuss with the mount bracket...which is a pain with the 1.8t's bolt-on tensioner assembly.

I would also pull the valve cover and check for sludging, and check the timing chain tensioner (cam phaser) for wear in the guide shoes. Because if that chain tensioner/chain needs to be replaced, now will be the time to do it, since the cams have to come out.