Prius owners don't like VW TDI commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
keggo said:
Apparently you do! I vote VelociT for next leader of the anarchy movement. Screw regulations, back to the stone ages for all!
Because I'm anti-Obama I'm anti-America?

You guys are faaaaaar gone.

loaba

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Jetta Sportwagen
boutmuet said:
Well it boils down to what you prefer in a car.
Very true. I do mainly city driving, so a Prius would offer better in-town MPG than my Jetta. That being said, having spent some time behind the wheel of a friend's Prius, I just plain prefer the TDI. My car is fun to drive and still gets decent mileage. If I slowed it down a bit, it would be even better. But I don't want to! :D

Last edited:

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
loaba said:
Very true. I do mainly city driving, so a Prius would offer better in-town MPG than my Jetta.
I think the Prius is best described as a great rural car... city-wise and the diesel VDubs are more an all around option but certainly not up to the silent operation the Prius has inner city bumper-to-bumper.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
TDiVeeDub said:
Getting back to the original discussion, Japanese car owners are just pissed that if it wasn't for the German's they would not a have a car to copy...
Many VW fans were upset when VW copied japanese styling for the new jetta.

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
velociT said:
Because I'm anti-Obama I'm anti-America?

You guys are faaaaaar gone.
I could careless if you like Obama or not, but I ask why did you even bring him up in the first place? I also never said you were anti-America, just insinuated you were anti-civilized society. :D

Can we end this and just agree to disagree? I don't want to clutter the thread up anymore.

After all, what would the world be like if everyone thought the same...

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
n1das said:
....at no time was Toyota or Prius ever mentioned anywhere in the ad. The guzzoling-electric hype-brid was only seen from a side angle. The car could have been a new Honda Insight for all it really matters in the ad. Did anybody happen to spot "Toyota" or "Prius" anywhere in the ad?
Am I the only one in this thread who noticed that at no time was Toyota or Prius ever mentioned anywhere in the ad? :confused:

The hybrid car seen in the ad looked an awful lot like a brand new Honda Insight I saw on the highway earlier today. LOL, Prius owners are whining about the commercial yet the gasser-electric hybrid shown in the commercial might not have been a Prius at all. It could have been a Honda Insight instead.

loaba

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Jetta Sportwagen
Uh, about the Prius in the VW ad thing... When you see a guy in brown, delivering a package, you might think of UPS. You wouldn't be alone; alot of people associate brown-clad package dudes/dudettes as being UPS drivers. Same thing here. That ad was targeted at the hybrid audience, the bulk of which are Prius owners.

And it was funny. :)

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
n1das said:
Am I the only one in this thread who noticed that at no time was Toyota or Prius ever mentioned anywhere in the ad? :confused:

The hybrid car seen in the ad looked an awful lot like a brand new Honda Insight I saw on the highway earlier today. LOL, Prius owners are whining about the commercial yet the gasser-electric hybrid shown in the commercial might not have been a Prius at all. It could have been a Honda Insight instead.
It is unmistakingly a Prius. Look at front lights, rear lights, front fender badge and the wheels. It is definatly a Prius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXK63kvUi6U

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2009_toyota_prius.jpg

http://automobiles.honda.com/2010-insight/?ef_id=1097:1:c8b87e88e88e350e26b3398a9677e50b:KfRjjEo-JyoAACdddCwAAAAK:20090612005525#//

The shape is similar but easily differentiated

Last edited:

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
105Uphill said:
You asked and here is the answer.
http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/editorial/editorial_item.asp?NewsID=188
If I remember correctly this was not well received by the "Greens".
That is a ridiculous old myth, do you honestly believe that your car doesn't contain Ni from the same place? I cant believe a respected school would publish this drivel.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/article/1010861_prius-versus-hummer-exploding-the-myth

• The report amortizes the upfront costs of R&D in the Prius’ development across the relatively small fleet of existing Prius’. This method doesn’t make sense since every new technology has a big upfront cost that needs to be amortized across the life of the technology, not just the first product.
  • The report claims that a Prius will last only 109,000 miles versus 379,000 for the Hummer. Anyone who has owned a GM car in the last decade can attest to the ridiculousness of the latter assumption.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
BadMonKey said:
That is a ridiculous old myth, ..
So it's a lie? After reading Prius out does Hummer in Environmental Damage...

Shame on them.

And I trusted the internet too.:D

MythBuster said:
Toyota says that nickel has been mined from in Sudbury since the 1800s, and that “the large majority of the environmental damage from nickel mining in and around Sudbury was caused by mining practices that were abandoned decades ago.” Out of the Inco mine’s 174,800-ton output in 2004, Toyota purchased 1000 tons, just over a half-percent of its output. The plant’s emissions of sulfur dioxide are down 90 percent from 1970 levels, and it’s targeting a 97-percent reduction in those emissions by 2015, according to Toyota.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
BrianCT said:
So it's a lie? After reading Prius out does Hummer in Environmental Damage...

Shame on them.

And I trusted the internet too.:D
That's true about the Sudbury plant. It pollutes far less today than it did decades ago when it absolutely destroyed the countryside around the plant. However, the fact remains that there are factors that are not usually calculated when talking about the Prii's overall carbon footprint, including labor and fuel usage to mine, refine, and ship battery components to and from Japan.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
VeeDubTDI said:
calculated when talking about the Prii's overall carbon footprint, including labor and fuel usage to mine, refine, and ship battery components to and from Japan.
If you owned a 2x4 Ford 150 pick-up and it achieved 14 mpg average, but was paid off and in good working order while being used 8,000 -9,000 miles a year. What would be the more responsible thing to do? Go out and finance a $30,000 Prius getting 50 mpg? How about keeping the pick-up and thinking about car pooling or using the bus for work commutes? It takes energy to make a Prius and energy to make energy to keep it going.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.