www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Closed Thread

Old August 26th, 2009, 20:21   #31
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 120 MPGe

Here you go.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252214
Old September 1st, 2009, 14:02   #32
mctkmt

TDI(s): Jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: 37-45 mpg
Talking

Thank you very much, I searched for this and never found a thing.
Old January 15th, 2010, 23:03   #33
TDIzumSpass
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctkmt
OK, can anyone confirm this? I was told today by my TDI mechanic in Indiana that within the last month V W has recalled the glow plugs for all TDI's. Apparantly they have redesigned the new plugs and even if you have ordered new ones from anywhere else, including TDIPARTS.COM as long as you have the reciept. Can anyone confirm this, I have checked the search option and could not find anything. PLease advise.
I just did a Google search, and all I could come up with was a recall for PD (Pumpe Duese) ceramic glow plugs, replaced with metal ones. See the following link: http://dieselinside.com/?p=151

I agree with you that something is also wrong with the 2009-2010 glow plugs. I got the "Engine Fault Workshop" followed by the flashing glow plug light today. Let's hope that VW will do diligence by re-engineering all of the faults in the new CR diesels, issue recalls so that we don't have to pay for their engineering F***-ups.

As an engineer myself, I don't give excuses to others for not doing the right thing for the customer. Of course, the bean counters decide. But if they don't get this model ironed out, their U.S. diesel market will be history. There aren't enough die-hard techies out there to finance a line of cars that is full of bugs.
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:22   #34
coolbreeze
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 31/38/51

TDIzumSpass, should read this thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269501 . Very strong statement on how well VW has done with the 09/10 cars. Many threads also on how well the diesel model has done in the JSW model. I believe it sells over 70% of their JSW models in diesel, AND 30% in there sedans and growing. It seems to me the only thing that will keep diesel from growing here in the US is not VW'S product, but our government and CARB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIzumSpass
I just did a Google search, and all I could come up with was a recall for PD (Pumpe Duese) ceramic glow plugs, replaced with metal ones. See the following link: http://dieselinside.com/?p=151

I agree with you that something is also wrong with the 2009-2010 glow plugs. I got the "Engine Fault Workshop" followed by the flashing glow plug light today. Let's hope that VW will do diligence by re-engineering all of the faults in the new CR diesels, issue recalls so that we don't have to pay for their engineering F***-ups.

As an engineer myself, I don't give excuses to others for not doing the right thing for the customer. Of course, the bean counters decide. But if they don't get this model ironed out, their U.S. diesel market will be history. There aren't enough die-hard techies out there to finance a line of cars that is full of bugs.
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:52   #35
TDIzumSpass
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze
TDIzumSpass, should read this thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269501 . Very strong statement on how well VW has done with the 09/10 cars. Many threads also on how well the diesel model has done in the JSW model. I believe it sells over 70% of their JSW models in diesel, AND 30% in there sedans and growing. It seems to me the only thing that will keep diesel from growing here in the US is not VW'S product, but our government and CARB.
If you limit the issues to "mechanical problems" you are excluding some of the most expensives problems. Sensors, ECM's, etc. can be quite expensive. So can hours of troubleshooting (once the warranty expires) and software updates (they will not be free, either). As for U.S. sales of diesels, that could change pretty quickly if word gets out that these cars have poor reliability. I am shocked at the cost of some of the components that owners have reported. Don't get me wrong; I am a HUGE diesel fan, but there is no excuse for owners to have so many problems with NEW cars. I have also noticed they have made several changes to the 2010 models. IMHO, they should have focused on fixing all of the problems in the 2009 models.
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:06   #36
TDIzumSpass
Veteran Member

Incidentally, I know 3 friends of our family that used to own a VW Diesel, but got rid of them because they were so problematic. They were spending a lot of money on their cars, and despite liking the car, were at their wits' end and sold them. Apparently, VW diesels are not for the faint of heart (or light of wallet). If each of these 3 people tell 100 others about their headache, you can almost guarantee they won't buy a VW diesel.

I am a bit disappointed myself. I have a 1997 Jetta (gasser) with 230K, that runs more reliably than my 09 JSW with 11k. I did not shell out 25k to bring the damn car into the dealership every other month or to be laying under the car every week (after warranty) like I've done with my other cars.
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:47   #37
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

The CR-TDI has a different problem. It is extra sensitive to exhaust leaks. The recall covering glow plugs is for Mk4/B5.5/V10 TDIs. Mk5 TDIs are not affected by the recall.

And to make it more confusing there are two recalls for basically the same issue of glow plug durability. One is for NGK plugs and the other is for Bosch. One recall checks which glow plugs are installed then replaces one brand and reflashes the ecm if the glow plugs are replaced. The other reflashes the ecm if the other glow plug brand is installed.

Jason
Old January 16th, 2010, 19:16   #38
GTIDan
Veteran Member

[quote=TDIzumSpass]I just did a Google search, and all I could come up with was a recall for PD (Pumpe Duese) ceramic glow plugs, replaced with metal ones. See the following link: http://dieselinside.com/?p=151

As an engineer myself, I don't give excuses to others for not doing the right thing for the customer. Of course, the bean counters decide. But if they don't get this model ironed out, their U.S. diesel market will be history. There aren't enough die-hard techies out there to finance a line of cars that is full of bugs.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but the 2009 Jetta TDI sold all 30K+ TDIs sent to the US by early August. VW plans call for more than 50K+ Jetta TDIs for 2010 and by the way the dealers out here in California can hardly get you one I'd say their on their way.

As for glowplug problems..........even here on this forum it's almost a non item?????

The 2009/10 is not full of bugs by any means.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269501
Have you checked out this site on the forum:
Old January 16th, 2010, 23:02   #39
firecrow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIDan
As for glowplug problems..........even here on this forum it's almost a non item?????
Well, in comparision to us poor bastards who've had balance shaft de-chaining? Yeah, the GP recall is pretty tame. I still have the ceramics and until they sort their **** out, those are staying in. I need my car to start at 3am for a fire call.
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:57   #40
coolbreeze
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 31/38/51

What word getting out? If you go by this forum the word is first year reliability is good. It sounds like you have had some issue's and that is unfortunate, but there will always be a percentage of new car owners that have issues. I am not saying that VW diesels have not been problematic, what I am saying is these 09/10 owners have been extremely happy with their cars and report few issues. The real gauge is if we polled all 09/10 owners and asked them if they had to do all over again would they buy their car again would they or if VW offered to take it back but they could not get another vw would they do it. My guess is over 80% would not give up their car. If we poled current 09/10 owners if they share positive or negative feedback about their cars with friends I believe the norm will be positive. So I think if any word is out it is what a great car we have and the media seems to love it also. VW must bring up long term reliability to match company's like Ford,Honda, and Toyota if they plan to double sales here in the US in the near future, but so far so good in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIzumSpass
If you limit the issues to "mechanical problems" you are excluding some of the most expensives problems. Sensors, ECM's, etc. can be quite expensive. So can hours of troubleshooting (once the warranty expires) and software updates (they will not be free, either). As for U.S. sales of diesels, that could change pretty quickly if word gets out that these cars have poor reliability. I am shocked at the cost of some of the components that owners have reported. Don't get me wrong; I am a HUGE diesel fan, but there is no excuse for owners to have so many problems with NEW cars. I have also noticed they have made several changes to the 2010 models. IMHO, they should have focused on fixing all of the problems in the 2009 models.
Old August 14th, 2010, 11:21   #41
milo607

Why ohh why is there no TDI Tiguan??? Does anybody make a small AWD vehicle in a diesel????
Old August 15th, 2010, 06:19   #42
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo607 View Post
Why ohh why is there no TDI Tiguan??? Does anybody make a small AWD vehicle in a diesel????
We just live in the wrong country.....
Old October 25th, 2010, 21:27   #43
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Good news: VW has updated its website.
Bad news: Its not properly functional.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:00   #44
pjdvd

TDI(s): 2004 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTDI View Post
We just live in the wrong country.....
Isn't the A3 available with the Quattro?
Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:22   #45
mrspindlelegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdvd View Post
Isn't the A3 available with the Quattro?
Only with the gasoline engine, not with the TDI.
Best: 54.24 MPG on 6-24-08. 872.8 MPT on 5-17-08.
Worst: 43.57 MPG due to faulty Coolant Temp Sensor.
Closed Thread