www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Closed Thread

Old June 4th, 2009, 22:56   #16
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Yes, it is still down. Was using that dieseltracker too.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:58   #17
Geoduck
Veteran Member

I posted my mileage on their Tank Wars but I agree with most of the comments on there....the top guy just coasted down a mountain! Duh! That would be cool if they made the contest rule that it had to be an actual tank of diesel.

Old June 5th, 2009, 05:01   #18
Geoduck
Veteran Member

looks like the Diesel Tracker is back up.....that is cool and Accurate from what I can tell

Old June 5th, 2009, 05:58   #19
rme
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogstomper
Site still fracking down, trying for 3 days now...
I think someone is pulling our chain bugstomper....It's 6/5/09 0800 EST and I can't reach it.....so Im betting someone is screwing with us.....LOL.
18" Michelins/RC1/Oettinger sport grill/American Racing Wheels/Weather TECH Mats and trunk mat/Cat Filter/Garmin GPS/XM Radio/Sharan Ant/RED TDI Badge/Smoked Sidemarkers/Chrome trunk trim/LED lights and I'm an automatic.....
Old June 5th, 2009, 06:22   #20
Rodya

Default VW Endorsing Fuel Additives???

Found this on the tdi.vw.com website...
"Q: Do clean diesel engines start when its cold outside?
A: Absolutely. Diesel fuel has additives that help make sure your vehicle starts no matter how cold it is. Of course, if you live in Nome, Alaska you may need to use additional additives. But if you live in Nome you probably knew that already, right..."

So... VW's website touting the TDI states that it is okay to use diesel fuel additives in the 2009 in the winter... to prevent gelling... does this mean that it is okay to use them in warmer weather as well?
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:53   #21
DCELL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44mpg ave

They've been pushing the "clean diesel" on extended commercials during Mythbusters on discovery. Tori Grant and Kari are doing a "diesel diaries" segment, usually late in the show with a spattering of other vw commercials. They mention it on that tdi website, but there isn't much other info. I want mythbusters test data!!
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:55   #22
KEHI

Default VW plant in Dresden

Check this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd5WGLWNllA
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:02   #23
DCELL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44mpg ave

that clip is a couple of years old, I think, but DAMN that's cool. Every time I see it, I wonder what our UAW would think if VW wanted to put a plant like that here....
Old June 5th, 2009, 16:14   #24
BossDiesel

Fuel Economy: 38 mpg, fast highway

I can't access the site. Hits from TDIClub members must have exceeded their bandwith! Ha!
1996 GMC Safari - ours
Old June 5th, 2009, 16:20   #25
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossDiesel
I can't access the site. Hits from TDIClub members must have exceeded their bandwith! Ha!
.....or hits from Prius owners..
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:24   #26
chemist93

Fuel Economy: 35

Just saw the video clip, wow. That makes most of the industrial plants I've been in look junky, except for A-B's brewery in Williamsburg.
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:11   #27
Jim1977

TDI(s): none

I saw that VW factory from on top of the cupola of the Frauenkirche in Dresden a couple of years ago. It does not look like a factory at all, but a modern office building. There are a number of other reasons to visit Dresden however; it is a beautiful city.
Old June 6th, 2009, 17:36   #28
Dooglas
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '06 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodya
So... VW's website touting the TDI states that it is okay to use diesel fuel additives in the 2009 in the winter... to prevent gelling... does this mean that it is okay to use them in warmer weather as well?
Like maybe 20% biodiesel for cleaner burning and better lubrication?
Old June 8th, 2009, 16:50   #29
FredIA
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck
looks like the Diesel Tracker is back up.....that is cool and Accurate from what I can tell
Boy I'll sound like an old lady again, but that Diesel Tracker tells me that the nearest Diesel is 22 miles south of where I work (in a fairly large town) when it's about 2.5 miles away... if I put in my work Zip... and almost 50 miles from where I live (where the nearest Diesel is actually now about 8 miles away, RIP closed BP station that had premier that was 2.5 miles away..)

I guess clean Diesel isn't for us flyover state people after all or at least that is what it will seem like to a "newbie" looking at that site...

I find it amusing that pre-2009 TDI's are not eligible for the mileage game.. I guess the fact 2003's (and probably my 2006 PD) will out MPG a 2009 is not good marketing either.

My last post complained about Diesel being more expensive than gas.. and my complaining fixed that.. I wonder what I'll fix this time...

I think the $43K Toureg 2 diesel is cool but where's the $28K diesel Routan that I need for my 6 person family? Might get me into another VW. I'm on the fence for another TDI Jetta/Golf in about five years when I'll need it... If I can find time or a good, close, independent mechanic I'd do it again... but the VW service at the dealers really kill the deal....

Fred
Old August 26th, 2009, 19:54   #30
mctkmt

TDI(s): Jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: 37-45 mpg

OK, can anyone confirm this? I was told today by my TDI mechanic in Indiana that within the last month V W has recalled the glow plugs for all TDI's. Apparantly they have redesigned the new plugs and even if you have ordered new ones from anywhere else, including TDIPARTS.COM as long as you have the reciept. Can anyone confirm this, I have checked the search option and could not find anything. PLease advise.
Closed Thread