www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 22:41   #1
otm646
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/48.5/43
Default PD 150 intake manifold on stock A3/AHU

I recently acquired a PD 150 intake manifold and an ALH race pipe from Peter at TDI parts.

Note I sawed a stock manifold in two. I will post photos of the flow restriction shortly.

Installation: fitment is a stock drop in with the EGR Deleted. I did not attempt installation with EGR installed.

The ALH race pipe will work with no modification but is not optimal. The race pipe is to long which moves the upper charge air pipe about 3/8ths of an inch towards the drives fender. This prevents the installation of the screw, nearest the fire wall, which secures the charge air pipes together.

Note Inability to insert screw.

I will have the revised race pipe fabricated within the week so peter can make the manifold completely drop in.

Performance gains: On a stock tune I was not expecting much. I was significantly surprised. A stock tune falls on its face with a rapid drop in power at 4k rpm.

With the only modification being the addition of the manifold the car pulls to 4400-4500rpm.

Economy: previously the car averaged 48.6. I am interested to see if the average changes with the new manifold installed.

Specifications:
1998 Jetta AHU 210k
EGR delete
Original injectors
Stock downpipe, stock flow replacement CAT, 2.5 stainless straight pipe from the CAT back
05 WRX 5 speed wagon 220k + flow mods ~270 HP
81 Lancia Beta Zagato
otm646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 23:19   #2
Whitbread

TDI(s): Several

Hmmmm, that car looks familiar . Did you get the last hangar welded on?

Very nice to hear the gains! I'm sure they would be even more apparent with a tune.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 15:57   #3
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Hello,

Can the screw misalignment be minimized by shoving the hose further on to the racepipe or perhaps cutting the hose? I'm expecting to have one of these intakes soon. I suspect I will need to get it beadblasted before I install it (looks like it has a good coating of soot/oil/goop). Given the gains you report on a stock tune, it'll be interesting to see if I find an improvement at the top end with my mods. It would be REALLY cool if smoke is reduced even a little. I'm a freight train at WOT!

| .M y . S t a g e . 2 . G T I . |
| Facebook | YouTube | Fuelly |
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 16:39   #4
Rub87
Veteran Member

you don't need that bracket.. have cars running for years without, doens't hurt anything..

aside from that, I have the same manifold, also inlet to drivers side, and with mine the stud is at the top of the 90 bend, more like the oem location.. stange yours is different..
Old May 24th, 2009, 18:32   #5
otm646
Veteran Member

I'm looking to make the solution 100% drop in.

I'v measured the amount i need to turn off the race pipe to make it fit. No reason to go thru all the work to procure and install it to not finish the job and make it totally drop in.

I'v got a guy locally to weld that hanger.
81 Lancia Beta Zagato
Old May 25th, 2009, 18:07   #6
Jon Linn
Veteran Member

With the PD150 intake, did you completely gut out the EGR cooler and all its hardware? Also, I have thought about using 2" Stainless Steel for the double intercooler piping that runs from the intake to the intercooler? That would fix the problem as well, but be a little more $$$. Also, what made choose to use that intake rather than the AFN style that the euro A3's used?

thanks,
Jon Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:57   #7
validius
Lacking in ZDDP

TDI(s): 1997 GTI TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Linn
With the PD150 intake, did you completely gut out the EGR cooler and all its hardware? Also, I have thought about using 2" Stainless Steel for the double intercooler piping that runs from the intake to the intercooler? That would fix the problem as well, but be a little more $$$. Also, what made choose to use that intake rather than the AFN style that the euro A3's used?

thanks,
I'm working with Tom on this project so hopefully i can speak for him here.

the EGR cooler and all its hardware is gone, there is a blockoff place on tghe exhaust manifold.

Stainless would be nice for those pipes.

I got these manifolds because a rough visual inspection of pictures on the internet made them look better. Also, the PD150 manifolds support 150HP stock and the AFM manifold supports 110HP stock. It seemed like the logical thing to do...
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:34   #8
Jon Linn
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by validius
Also, the PD150 manifolds support 150HP stock and the AFM manifold supports 110HP stock. It seemed like the logical thing to do...
Support; as implying that just by switching out intakes to the PD150 a person could gain 50-60 hp? Could you explain a bit more, please? Aso, what is the cost comparison between the AFN and PD150 manifolds?
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:16   #9
otm646
Veteran Member

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=66969

I'm assuming this is an AFN manifold. If I'm mistaken let me know.

The AFN manifold looks to be similar in design to the AHU. The AHU/AFN manifold has almost no runners.

The AHU manifold has a large restriction where it makes the 90 degree bend down into the plenum. The PD 150 manifold has no such restriction.

With the PD 150 manifold the EGR is removable eliminating the intake restriction of the EGR assembly.

TDIparts is looking at making a custom race pipe for this application. durring fabrication, or even after, it is simple to make the length adjustment.

The cost is likley similar for either manifold if you could source them used.

validius said that the PD manifold flows enough air for a 150 HP stock vs 110 hp for the AFN manifold. This would infer that the PD 150 manifold is better flowing to to support the higher hp output. I agree.
81 Lancia Beta Zagato

Last edited by otm646; May 26th, 2009 at 08:23.
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:16   #10
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

More like support, as in implying that the factory motors that these intakes are installed on are rated to 150hp. vs 110hp for the AFM unit.

Not implying that by just changing the manifold you are gaining any huge amount of power. but you are gaining the ABILITY to support the airflow to make 150hp.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:41   #11
validius
Lacking in ZDDP

Quote:
Support; as implying that just by switching out intakes to the PD150 a person could gain 50-60 hp? Could you explain a bit more, please? Aso, what is the cost comparison between the AFN and PD150 manifolds?
Not sure about the cost. Every order of these i can get are going to cost a different amount of money as exchange rates change as well as the cost of the parts themselves.

Unless i can get one extremely cheap shipped with an order of other parts coming from .de i will not be getting an AFN manifold. I can tell just by looking at them they suffer much of the same restriction at the 90 degree bend that makes the stock AHU manifold so bad.

If anyone disagrees they are more then welcome to buy me some time with a flowbench and i'l find out for sure
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:52   #12
Jon Linn
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler
More like support, as in implying that the factory motors that these intakes are installed on are rated to 150hp. vs 110hp for the AFM unit.

Not implying that by just changing the manifold you are gaining any huge amount of power. but you are gaining the ABILITY to support the airflow to make 150hp.
Ok, I understand better now. Thanks. This only means as you said before, that the PD150 has better air flow than a normal 1z/AHU manifold. Got it.

Has anyone done a before and after dyno on a stock car or decently modified car with the PD150 vs the stock A3 intake?
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:06   #13
validius
Lacking in ZDDP

Quote:
Ok, I understand better now. Thanks. This only means as you said before, that the PD150 has better air flow than a normal 1z/AHU manifold. Got it.

Has anyone done a before and after dyno on a stock car or decently modified car with the PD150 vs the stock A3 intake?
Nope, other then the 5 that we (Otm646, Matt|98AHU and I) ordered i know of only one more of these in the USA and the owner did not do before and after runs.

I sent one to StealthTDI who had it on his doorstep this mornin. Hopefully he will post his experience.

I am working on getting more of these but right now i cannot put fourth any time line for when more will arrive. All 5 i have now are spoken for.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:07   #14
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Hello,

Yes, I received my PD150 manifold. It has some soot build-up from the EGR. I'm going to have it bead blasted before installing it. I may have it installed and running by the middle of next week. I'll be sure to report if I feel a difference.

On a side note, I'm looking to relocate my W/M nozzle to just above the intercooler (post IC). Then I may be able to see how the W/M affects IAT. I do not plan to tap into my race pipe.

Later,

Scott

| .M y . S t a g e . 2 . G T I . |
| Facebook | YouTube | Fuelly |
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:13   #15
DbLog
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 335d

Scott,
Where's the nozzle going? Before or after the MAF?

SOLD 11' Golf , OH DEER B5 S4
, SOLD O1' Golf--RC6 212k, SOLD 91' MKII Golf ALH Project---VR6, PSS9, Wilwood, SOLD 91' MKII Golf GTI--VR6
DbLog is offline   Reply With Quote