www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old May 20th, 2009, 15:41   #1
dgetta

TDI(s): 2005 getta
Default How many ways can you try to reset the computer in an 05 Jetta

I have tried disconnecting the battery and I've tried disconnecting both battery cables and connecting them together (a Chrysler mech said he does this to reset the modem) , so far nothing works. I've got the fault light on on the dash for the airbag and the ESP sensor. I have an Actron OBD II scanner but this doesn't even connect properly. Do I have to get to get a Vag-Com ?
dgetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 15:55   #2
2004STARWARSTDI
Veteran Member

Default CEl codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgetta
I have tried disconnecting the battery and I've tried disconnecting both battery cables and connecting them together (a Chrysler mech said he does this to reset the modem) , so far nothing works. I've got the fault light on on the dash for the airbag and the ESP sensor. I have an Actron OBD II scanner but this doesn't even connect properly. Do I have to get to get a Vag-Com ?
Yep, you sure do need VagCom/VCDS from Ross-tech. Don't even waste your money on Ebay!
Ross-Tech: Home
You could try the Vagtool locator in my signature to find someone near you.
If you don't fix the problem the CEL will come back on after you clear it!
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
Engine CEL Code Lookup. Turbo Hose To Egr Fix - TDIClub Forums

Last edited by 2004STARWARSTDI; May 20th, 2009 at 16:25.
2004STARWARSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 16:42   #3
dgetta

I know alot of people suggest the Ross scan tool but what about the ScanGauge II or is that one of the ones you warn against on Ebay. There is a person that has posted a positive comment about that . If not I guess I'll have to go with Ross.
Old May 20th, 2009, 16:55   #4
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

You could go to Autozone and have it scanned for free and then go to the Ross-Tech site WIKI and look up the code(s) you got.

STARWARSTDI has some good ideas, as well, especially about finding some one with VCDS (Vag-Com) in your area.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 19:13   #5
Tim Birney
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05.5 TDI

Quote:
AIRBAG Light (fault) = Dealership visit AUTOMATICALLY!
Old May 20th, 2009, 19:29   #6
dgetta

I'd rather not go to the dealer, I feel like I walk funny when I leave. Seriously though, I disconnected the passenger side without realizing and I can only hope that it's needs to be reset .
Old May 20th, 2009, 19:37   #7
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

You NEED a proper scan tool in order to clear the fault codes (and you need to fix the underlying problem first, otherwise it will come back).

Whoever told you that the codes could be reset by disconnecting the battery is out of touch. Every OBDII-compliant ECU is required to store trouble-code information in non-volatile memory, and that has been the law since 1996. Strictly speaking, it's only mandatory for the emissions-related stuff, but for practical reasons, it's done the same way for every important subsystem in the vehicle.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 20:30   #8
dgetta

I'm coming to the realization that I have to get a scan tool.I would like to make sure that I get the most for my money. Most everyone mentions Ross, I've heard the name ScanGauge II; I'd like to find out if it's possible to purchase one of these and then later apply it to other vehicles even if it means different software. Of course the main priority is to get the best tool for this job.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:49   #9
Windjammer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5

Quote:
I'm coming to the realization that I have to get a scan tool.
Really???
06 Jetta TDI Blue Graphite w/Gray Pack 2 DSG W/NAV & Ipod dock
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:51   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

VCDS will be able to tag all the modules in the car, will work an any PC even a slowish one, and is a bargain.
Old May 21st, 2009, 16:09   #11
Tim Birney
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05.5 TDI

Quote:
I'd rather not go to the dealer, I feel like I walk funny when I leave. Seriously though, I disconnected the passenger side without realizing and I can only hope that it's needs to be reset .
Please Note:

The VCDS (VAG-COM) cannot reset Air Bag faults.
Only the Dealership can reset those faults.
Old May 21st, 2009, 18:46   #12
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Birney
Please Note:

The VCDS (VAG-COM) cannot reset Air Bag faults.
Only the Dealership can reset those faults.
And how much money would you like to wager on that? Who told you that one???

You can read an SRS module, clear DTCs on them, even recode them when you replace them with VCDS. So I am not really sure what you are talking about. Only thing VCDS cannot do is reflash a module's memory, and it cannot extract SKCs.

Everything else, it does faster and easier than the factory level scan tools.

I just used mine this week to find a faulty seat harness connector in a 2006 Jetta's passenger seat harness.

Last edited by oilhammer; May 21st, 2009 at 18:49.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 20:38   #13
Lee_Taylor
Veteran Member

Quote:
In the interest of fairness you don't have to get a VCDS cable. You could get a cable off Ebay that you may be able to get to work. However it will only work with the older version of their software and in order to get it to work properly it will cost you $100 to register the software (which they will credit toward a purchase of the real McCoy) Buying the genuine article saves a lot of grief and most of us have gone this route, but you have the option to try the Ebay route. It is a case of caveat emptor though.
Lee_Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:17   #14
dgetta

Mr. Taylor I believe you had mentioned the USB before on a previous thread is this correct ? This is an 05 Jetta TDI and I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right wire. Thanks
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:29   #15
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Mr. Taylor I believe you had mentioned the USB before on a previous thread is this correct ? This is an 05 Jetta TDI and I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right wire. Thanks
A 2005.5+ Jetta requires a CAN type cable. Contact Ross-tech and get the real thing. The ebay cables are for the older cars IIRC.

Is your car the newer body style? (A4=old, A5=new style) Go to this site (call if necessary) to find out what you need.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/interfaces.html

I no longer leave town without my laptop w/VCDS.....

USB vs. SERIAL has no bearing on what car you have, only how your computer is configured.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote