So I'm buying a 2005 Jetta TDI. I took two photos and two videos to detail things I found wrong with the vehicle. The photos and videos are in the link above, on my personal webspace.
Mostly, I'm posting this for the convenience of need4speed, but if anyone else can tell me what else I should focus on, I would be grateful to you as well.
One photo of rear bumper molding seam not lined up properly, one photo of protective strip over wheel well coming loose.
One video of dent and paint scratches on driver door, as well as the "sticky" latch (very tough to open sometimes, not-so-tough others). One video of the engine compartment, detailing missing/cracked things and the vibration of the engine (it shakes from front to back a bit, perhaps neds new securing bolts or something?). I've never seen or heard under the hood of a healthy TDI, so I'm not sure. I'm fine with having to put a couple hundred or so into the engine for basic tuneup work, if that's necessary...mostly, I just want a good TDI...but there aren't many newer than 2002 (terms of my loan from my bank) in this area that have features I want or are affordable or are in easily-noticeable good shape based on internet photos/information from the sellers.
I'm also taking this car to an area TDI mechanic (at DuPage Auto Works, West Chicago, Illinois) soon this coming week (Tuesday or Wednesday) to have it looked at by somebody who might know what they are doing.
This TDI is just the first I'm looking at, because it's right down the street from my house. Most of the others I've seen are farther away (30 plus minutes), and some far enogh to require a day trip just to look at...and the only mechanic in the area is 30 minutes from my home as it is...in the wrong direction to look at most of them without much hassle (only open from 8 to 5 weekdays, which is when I'm at work an hour and a half away from them).
If anyone wants/needs more photos, information, etc. I will be able to provide. It's a five minute drive to the dealer that's selling it.
Information from dealer site:
2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI Sedan 4D
Vehicle Qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
No Total Loss Reported to CARFAX
No Structural/Frame Damage Reported to CARFAX
No Airbag Deployment Reported to CARFAX
No Indication of an Odometer Rollback
No Accidents / Damage Reported to CARFAX
No Manufacturer Recalls Reported to CARFAX
2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI Sedan 4DStock Number: V8863A
Bodystyle: GLS TDI Sedan 4D
Engine: 4-Cyl. Turbo Diesel
Transmission: Tiptronic Auto Trans
Ext. Color: Beige
Int. Color: Beige
Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail: $14,300.00
Web Price: $9,495.00 First Name Last Name
Value Added Options
• Air Conditioning
• Power Steering
• Power Windows
• Power Door Locks
• Tilt Wheel
• Cruise Control
• Am/Fm Stereo
• Single Compact Disc
• Dual Front Air Bags
• Front Side Air Bags
• Abs (4-Wheel)
• Moon Roof
• Alloy Wheels
• Pwr Tilt/Slide Glass Sunroof W/Sunshade, Tinted Glass, Pinch Protection
• Chrome Applications For Front/Rear Bumpers
• Aluminum Body-Side Moldings
• Fully Reclining Front Bucket Seats W/Adjustable Lockable Headrests
• Front Seat Height Adjustment
• 60/40 Split Folding Rear Seat W/Height-Adjustable Headrests
• Front/Rear Side Curtain Protection
• 3-Point Seat Belts For All Seating Positions W/Emergency Locking Retractors
• Front Safety Belt Height Adjusters, Pretensioners, Load Limiters
• Daytime Running Lights
• Child Safety Rear Door Locks
• 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System (abs)
• Anti-Intrusion Side-Impact Door Beams
• Driver/Front Passenger Airbag Supplemental Restraint System
• Driver/Front Passenger Side-Impact Airbags
• 80 Amp/Hr Battery W/Battery Box
• 70-Amp Alternator
• Independent Macpherson Strut Front Suspension
• Independent Torsion Beam Axle Rear Suspension
Pugi of Chicagoland
Phone: (630) 964 - 9500
Fax: (630) 964 - 5775
2020 West Ogden Avenue
Downers Grove, IL USA
Thanks for looking!