Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
AF Gauge Installation

Parts Req'd:

1. AF Gauge by

ENGINEERED PRODUCTS CO.
www.filterminder.com

2. PVC Elbow. This is a temporary part used to complete project. This can be purchased from any automotive supply store i.e. Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts etc. This part will be replaced once similar OE/OEM part is available

L/O:

Place a strip of painters low tack tape on the back of the AFB. Then mark for the hole center location using a t-square as shown. The 4th rib from the left is a sink mark, and beside the scale is the 5th rib (or 2nd from the right). Hole center dims are as follows. Dim. from the left of sink mark to hole center is .531 in. Dim. between sink mark and 5th rib (or between sink marks) is approximately 1.125 in. Dim. from the bottom of AFB to hole center is 4.750 in. Hole size is 1.0 in. dia.

Apparatus:

Mount AFB squarely, center, level, and securely on a drill press as shown.
1.0 in. wood boring spade used for easy hole centering. Use wooden block for levelling and support as req'd.

AFB with hole provision for AFG

AFB Assy

Assemble AFG to PVC Elbow. Then assemble ASG Assy to AFB as shown

As Installed in Engine Compartment:

Note: AFG not reset

Very good visibility for easy observation.

Sufficient clearance between the inside edge of AFB top cover and edge of AFG

Sufficient clearance between the bottom inside of AFB top cover and AFG reset button. There is about .500-.625 in. from bottom inside of AFB top cover to bottom of AFG reset button.

Note: AFG shown in reset position. To reset AFG simply push yellow button.

Designed & Engineered by:

//SJAHSPEED DESIGN

Disclaimer: The author is not responsible for any injuries to anybody who is performing this modifications. The person who is performing this modifications is fully responsible for his or her own actions. If in doubt, ask questions or have a professional complete the modification.

Cheers,

Last edited:

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
nice job. the elbow is key.

i have on installed in my Golf and love it but i didn't see a space that would allow a B5.5 install. your elbow trick is the solution.

my guage redlines at 15" h2o and pulls to the 2nd lock point with a brand new filter installed. how about yours?

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
also FWIW i just used a common drill for mine and it worked perfectly.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SUNRG said:
nice job. the elbow is key.

i have on installed in my Golf and love it but i didn't see a space that would allow a B5.5 install. your elbow trick is the solution.

my guage redlines at 15" h2o and pulls to the 2nd lock point with a brand new filter installed. how about yours?
Thanks very much Sunrg.

This AFG was originally installed on my Passat VR6 5-spd. When I sold the car, I took the AFG out. So as you can see from the picture, the AFG wasn't reset it, since I took it out. The gauge currently doesn't show anything yet. I guess I need to do more driving. I will let you know when the AFG indicator starts showing.

(quote=SUNRG)also FWIW i just used a common drill for mine and it worked perfectly.[/quote]

That's great that you could use a normal drill bit. I don't have 1.0" size drill bit with either 3/8" or 1/2" shank. So the boring spade was my next option. I also find it's easier to center the hole center l/o with the spade.

Cheers,

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
aja8888 said:
Nice Idea! Where does one purchase one of these filter monitors? Only through Engineered Products?

Thanks,

Tony
Thanks Tony.

Unfortunately, if I'm not mistaken that's the only place to get them.
I got mine when I was working temp at a GM dealer. This one is from a GMC Envoy, and it's made by Engineered Products.

I know there's a K&N version of AFG, but I believe it's made by Engineered Products also. Now, SUNRG had installed this AFG on his Golf, possibly he can shed some light as to where he got his from.

I will let you know if I find an automotive supply store that sells AFG

Cheers,

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
T_D_I_POWER said:
Thanks Tony.

Unfortunately, if I'm not mistaken that's the only place to get them.
I got mine when I was working temp at a GM dealer. This one is from a GMC Envoy, and it's made by Engineered Products.

I know there's a K&N version of AFG, but I believe it's made by Engineered Products also. Now, SUNRG had installed this AFG on his Golf, possibly he can shed some light as to where he got his from.

I will let you know if I find an automotive supply store that sells AFG

Cheers,
Thanks!

Tony

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
aja8888 said:
K & N sells the monitor and it's about $35 retail. Can be bought at many parts houses (AutoZone, etc,etc).

Or at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E5XQDY

Thanks aja888

I was just going to send you the info from K&N, but you beat me to it.
K&N online store sells it for $31.99

http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=85-2445

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for someone to reply my e-mail request from
Engineered Products as to where I can buy this locally.

Cheers,

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
http://www.filterminder.com/

the 25" minder, in my experience, is too restrictive to function well with a TDI. i wanted mine to be sensitive enough to show restriction with a new filter installed. i did a writeup on it many moons ago and i tried a number of options before i settled on the 15" from filter minder.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for sharing that with me. I was just wondering why yours redlined @ 15" H2O with a new filter. I agree with you that the 25" is not sensitive enough. My AF has 10k miles on it, and the indicator hasn't moved at all, since I installed the AFG. I am just wondering if the PAF is doing all the work. I read on the filterminder website that Diesel engines opereate at max. 20-25" H2O. Another thing, my AFG has only two graduated lines. I translated this as an 8 " and 20" H2O when I compared it with the graduated AFG.

Cheers,

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
T_D_I_POWER said:
Thanks for sharing that with me. I was just wondering why yours redlined @ 15" H2O with a new filter. I agree with you that the 25" is not sensitive enough. My AF has 10k miles on it, and the indicator hasn't moved at all, since I installed the AFG. I am just wondering if the PAF is doing all the work. I read on the filterminder website that Diesel engines opereate at max. 20-25" H2O. Another thing, my AFG has only two graduated lines. I translated this as an 8 " and 20" H2O when I compared it with the graduated AFG.

Cheers,
my doesn't redline with a new filter, it pulls to the 2nd of 5 graduated lines with a brand new filter installed.

i wanted one that was sensitive enough so that it'd move with a brand new filter installed because i wanted to be able to see small changes in restriction. with a 25" monitor there's no way to tell if it's even working until restriction increases significantly - and that may not happen for more than 40k of use.

i've used air filters for full 40k and it pulled to the 2nd graduated mark the entire service interval - and this was in an A4 Golf PD100 with a significantly smaller air filter service area (compared to the BHW air filter).

this last service interval my filter minder pulled to the 3rd graduated mark after only 20k of use, so it must have seen some more contaminants than usual. i've never redlined my 15" air filter minder.

mine is similar, but not identical to this one:

You can order directly from Engineered Products Co.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I'm going to order and try the remote mount version:

EDIT: on 2nd thought, I'm just going to change the filter every 40k or so. i think the elbow trick or the remote mount are good options for those interested in this mod.

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SUNRG said:
my doesn't redline with a new filter, it pulls to the 2nd of 5 graduated lines with a brand new filter installed.

i wanted one that was sensitive enough so that it'd move with a brand new filter installed because i wanted to be able to see small changes in restriction. with a 25" monitor there's no way to tell if it's even working until restriction increases significantly - and that may not happen for more than 40k of use.

i've used air filters for full 40k and it pulled to the 2nd graduated mark the entire service interval - and this was in an A4 Golf PD100 with a significantly smaller air filter service area (compared to the BHW air filter).

this last service interval my filter minder pulled to the 3rd graduated mark after only 20k of use, so it must have seen some more contaminants than usual. i've never redlined my 15" air filter minder.

mine is similar, but not identical to this one:

You can order directly from Engineered Products Co.
Sorry, my mistake. Your gauge redlines at 15" H2O as oppose to 25" H2O. I'm going to see if removing the PAF or AFSS will make any difference, I think it should. Right now I'm just going to see how this one works. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SUNRG said:
I think I'm going to order and try the remote mount version:

EDIT: on 2nd thought, I'm just going to change the filter every 40k or so. i think the elbow trick or the remote mount are good options for those interested in this mod.
Whith this one you can just simply install a "T" connector to the vacuum port. And connect the a vacuum line from the AFG to the "T" port. There's no mods to the stock AFB at all. Very simple and staright forward. You can hang this AFG from the Al fuel lines via a pair of cushioned P-clamps. Either one should work

Cheers,

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited: