www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 4th, 2009, 13:59   #1
dmusic148

TDI(s): 03' Beetle
Fuel Economy: 48 hwy
Default ALH Glow plugs

Hi all. Have a CEL that Vag Com tells me is #2 glow plug. Tried reseating connector, no good. Bought a new plug, Autolite # 1116. Trouble is I can't get it to thread in-it's a 10mm x 1mm thread, which I think is correct, but no-go.
Now, the old one's threads are mashed over(?-never previously removed), reducing it's diameter to about 9.7mm. Should I run a tap into the hole to clean it up? Thanks, Dave
dmusic148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 16:34   #2
dmusic148

Umm, bump?
Old May 4th, 2009, 16:55   #3
Fourdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~53 mpg on Golf (sold)

You don't have a lot of choice here. DOUBLE check the diameter/pitch of the threads to confirm you have the right tap (if one of the other glow plugs is out you should be able to run the tap in BY HAND). Then grease the tap to catch all the chips you might make and CAREFULLY and SLOWLY work the tap down the hole. Be VERY careful you don't end up in a cross thread situation!
Do NOT blow the tapped hole out with compressed air - the chips will get into the combustion chamber. Use a cotton swab with a thin film of grease to pick up what may remain
'83 Mitsubishi 4X4 PU(2.3L turbodiesel)
'85 U1700 UNIMOG ["I DO understand - its a UNIMOG thing"]
Fourdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 17:22   #4
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

^What he said..

Just so you know, if the code reads #2 glowplug, most likely it's the #3... The glowplugs seem to be numbered backwards as far as the ECU is concerned..
Old May 4th, 2009, 18:41   #5
dmusic148

Hmm--is #2 second from the left, looking at the front of the car? That one tests open. The others test at about 1ohm.
Thanks for the advice on the tap-using grease to catch chips. Done that sort of thing before.
Old May 4th, 2009, 18:59   #6
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusic148
Hmm--is #2 second from the left, looking at the front of the car? That one tests open. The others test at about 1ohm.
Thanks for the advice on the tap-using grease to catch chips. Done that sort of thing before.
Weird.. It seems to be hit and miss.. I've had a number of customers cars come in with glowplug codes and more often than not the numbering seems to be reversed.. Mine doesn't do that since the 99's don't monitor them individually.. It just sets a "glowplug heater circuit" code..
Old May 4th, 2009, 21:35   #7
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG
Default cylinder numbers

#3 is #2 and #2 is #3 ......... well, yes that's true for the 2000-03 models for sure!

Good luck with the issue!
'84 Vanagon ALH TDI engine (32 mpg) Malone Stage 1 tune, Polaris Diesel ATV, Allegro Bay RV 5.9 cummins, VWs 41 years, VW diesels 34 years, ALH TDIs 12 years
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 22:14   #8
ninedee_golf_tdi

KD Tools KDS3688

Cleans and rethreads sparkplug/glowplug ports from the inside out. Uses the good threads at the base of the port. Reduces dirt and metal from being driven into the cylinder head. Use light grease on the end to trap filings and keep tool easy to use.
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 22:51   #9
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninedee_golf_tdi
Use light grease on the end to trap filings
A foam earplug can be stuffed into the cylinder head in order to catch the filings below the level at which you'll be using the tap...

Yuri.
ymz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:39   #10
dmusic148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninedee_golf_tdi
KD Tools KDS3688

Cleans and rethreads sparkplug/glowplug ports from the inside out. Uses the good threads at the base of the port. Reduces dirt and metal from being driven into the cylinder head. Use light grease on the end to trap filings and keep tool easy to use.
That's a nice tool-I assume you drop it in, then expand it, and run it out? Clever. Thanks.
I'll have to go the earplug/grease route though as I need to fix it today. Gotta get emissions check today and can't show up with a CEL. It just occurred to me that I COULD reinstall the old plug, and attach the new one to the harness and zip tie it out of the way so it won't burn anything, but that's probably a bad idea. This problem caught me out as I'd been ignoring the CEL, assuming it was just the EGR error(race pipe). Last time, I just cleared that and sailed through emissions as that error takes awhile to return. Live and learn.
Thanks very much everyone. You are always very helpful. I'll let you know what happens. Dave
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:18   #11
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Autolite? hmmmm the CEL may stay as the OEM glow plugs are Beru or Bosch. Touchy touchy control system wants very balanced resistance.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:38   #12
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

they aren't that touchy... autolite glowplugs are fine...
Old May 5th, 2009, 13:33   #13
dmusic148

Thumbs up Update

Success! Pushed in an earplug, greased up the tap. Tap went right in, not much effort but it did remove a small amount of metal, which I can only hope came from the old plug. The tap pushed the earplug in too far to retrieve, even with a pointy hemostat, but a quick spin of the starter popped it out with the chips(I read in the 'Glow plug hole repair' thread that this would work). New plug went in(I did apply a small amount of nickel Never-Seize), didn't feel too wobbly, tightened up nice. Cleared CEL, went to emissions, passed on the day of the deadline. Hu-friggin-rray.
Thanks again to all, you're the best. Dave
Old May 5th, 2009, 16:46   #14
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Are the other three glow plugs Autolights? I thought it was bad to mix & match.
MayorDJQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:02   #15
dmusic148

The other three are original from '03, but my car doesn't seem to notice. They're all the steel variety, and they do all Ohm out at around 1ohm, so I don't know how it could tell. So far so good.