www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old April 26th, 2009, 21:47   #1
pogopop77

Default Premium Diesel Map

Hi all, I am a newbie here. I just bought my first diesel (BMW 335d) and so far, I absolutely love it. However, I've found it's hard to locate premium diesel (high cetane number) fuel. I've found some useful information here on the forums, particularly this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...74#post1987974

But even that is sort of a general guide, and doesn't appear to be definitive. For example, it lists Shell as carrying 46 cetane fuel, but all the Shell stations I've visited in my area (Maryland) are either labeled 40 or 42 cetane (or unlabeled -- maybe that means it's 46?)

What I'd like to do is put together a comprehensive map, which could assist folks in a finding premium diesel (>= 45 cetane) in the U.S. It's annoying when you are on the highway or in a new town trying to figure out which station has the "good stuff". I've started on a such a map here (with the paltry two stations I've confirmed carry premium diesel):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?sourc...,1.235962&z=10

I welcome your comments or inputs via email, private message, or reply on this thread.

Thanks!
pogopop77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:32   #2
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

Things change. A station that had higher cetane may have lower cetane when the seasons change. Keeping such a list current could be difficult. It also appears that often the rating posted on the pump does not match what the pump is pumping (higher or lower).

There are additives to raise the cetane rating.

Does your BMW specify high cetane? While higher cetane is generally better, the advantage past a certain point can be little or nothing.
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:32   #3
pogopop77

I agree that things do change, but there are definitely stations that are carrying high cetane diesel year-round. These are the ones I'd like to map out. BMW recommends 51 cetane or better, which is near impossible to find the in U.S. I find the best quality stuff I can and then use a cetane booster.

Last edited by pogopop77; April 27th, 2009 at 06:35.
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:12   #4
andreigbs
Veteran Member

TDI(s): N/A

Use gray bottle Power Service every fillup and you shouldn't have to worry about cetane numbers.

BTW, love that 335d, just hate that it doesn't come in a 6 spd. manual or AWD version or wagon version... Maybe next year.
Bora TDI // 146xxx miles // 42 MPG - sold
Jetta TDI // 317xxx miles // 44 MPG - sold
andreigbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:17   #5
Sip'n Diesel
Veteran Newbie

Fuel Economy: 900 miles on 16.9 gallons - Personal Endurance Record
Thumbs up 335d

holy cow! 51 cetane!!1! IIRC our TDIs were designed to run on 49

hint: small amounts of bio-diesel increase cetane index (or rating?) IIRC "cetane rating" and "cetane index" are two different things, but I can't remember which is which. if you buy some B100, you can pour small amounts into your tank before topping off with ULSD. if you do the math right, you can end up with whatever blend you want. I would recommend something like B2 for increased cetane, lubricity, etc

if you don't want to use any bio-diesel I recommend going to BP or Shell, or try to dig up any local info regarding premium diesel in your region

BTW love the 335d!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=240351

regarding the premium map: great idea I love it! however, it will be very hard to get definitive information. good luck! this is what we're struggling with in the Chicagoland area: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237849
2003 Jetta GL - 5 Speed Manual - Alaska Green - Dieselgeek Panzer Plate & Full Metal Jacket - DGRP - ScanGaugeII - WeatherTech Deflectors - Vent Delete - DRL Delete - Muffler Delete - KONI STR.T - Redneck Armrest - 5 Brake Lights - Otherwise all stock, for now

Last edited by Sip'n Diesel; April 27th, 2009 at 11:22.
Sip'n Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 19:07   #6
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

pogopop-
congrats on your purchase!!!! the current benchmark for diesel technology! see if you can get the name of the fuel distributor that provides the premium diesel and find out where else they deliver too (that is where the additives are put in and where the cetane would be determined)

my diesel fuel station of choice is >50 cetane. the last cetane number I got from them in the winter was 55!

You are allowed up to 5% ASTM biodiesel. This is an excellent lubricity additive and boosts cetane, too.
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:05   #7
pogopop77

Thanks guys!

andreigbs: If this model sells, maybe they'll bring more.

Sip'n Diesel: I checked out the Chicago area thread -- looks like you guys are dealing with the same issues I am. If you confirm any stations in your area are selling premium diesel, let me know the address/info and I'll add them to the map.

tditom: Unfortunately biodiesel is not available in my area (to my knowledge), so I'll stick with the 47 cetane fuel I've found + cetane booster. Where is your station of choice? I'd like to add it to the list, in case I am ever in Michigan
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:09   #8
pogopop77

Another random question. If the pump is labeled as something higher than 40 cetane, is the station still allowed to sell lower grade fuel out of that pump? That would seem pretty fraudulent to me....
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:23   #9
tditom
Veteran Member

Wacker Petroleum at the corner of M-52 and Pleasant Lake Rd in Manchester, MI. It's about 7 miles from I-94 and well worth the detour.

re. cetane labels: I'm not sure how much policing is done on diesel fuel labeling. From the track record of the ULSD labeling fiasco, it appears not much...
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:03   #10
pogopop77

tditom: How do you know it's > 50 cetane, BTW? Did you talk to the owner? I've added it to the map.

Last edited by pogopop77; April 28th, 2009 at 12:06.
Old April 28th, 2009, 14:41   #11
tditom
Veteran Member

yes, I've verified this with the owner of the station.
Old April 28th, 2009, 15:24   #12
CsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: T2: 25-26avg/A6: 49

Pogopop, congrats on your purchase. The map is a great idea. True premium diesel is not widely available and can fluctuate. The stations that I see that advertise "premium diesel" unfortunately often mean ULSD rather than LSD except for one station down in Georgia who recently, when I inquired about their "premium diesel" sign said that "premium diesel means that our diesel is better than the diesel that they are pumping across the street."

I read in another post that Sinclair Oil at their truck stops (stations all west of the Mississippi) all carry premium diesel

Last edited by CsTDI; April 28th, 2009 at 15:27.
CsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:18   #13
pogopop77

CsTDI: The definition of "premium" diesel varies, but I'm going with ULSD that's 45 cetane or more. That's in-line with information in the TDI FAQ. As for Sinclair Oil, if you are referring to this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2534693, there still some debate about whether or not every Sinclair location has premium grade diesel. I've decided to avoid generalizations (i.e. every Shell station has 46 cetane or better), and concentrate on stations that members of this forum frequent personally, and have verified (somehow) are selling premium diesel. Please send me more information about stations you use (Sinclair or otherwise), my map is looking pretty barren
Old April 29th, 2009, 14:10   #14
tditom
Veteran Member

pop-
you may find this article interesting:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/a...sel/Page1.html
Old April 29th, 2009, 14:14   #15
Sip'n Diesel
Veteran Newbie

Fuel Economy: 900 miles on 16.9 gallons - Personal Endurance Record
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tditom
pop-
you may find this article interesting:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/a...sel/Page1.html
tditom - thanks for that link! great info
2003 Jetta GL - 5 Speed Manual - Alaska Green - Dieselgeek Panzer Plate & Full Metal Jacket - DGRP - ScanGaugeII - WeatherTech Deflectors - Vent Delete - DRL Delete - Muffler Delete - KONI STR.T - Redneck Armrest - 5 Brake Lights - Otherwise all stock, for now
Sip'n Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote