www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old April 26th, 2009, 13:56   #1
vdubdezl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg
Talking What is Fahrvergnugen?

I found this excerpt when reading Don Vorhees' Book of Totally Useless Information. (1993) I thought it was very interesting! Sorry couldn't figure out how to put the two little dots over the "u" in Fahrvergnügen. Hey the alt 0252 worked!! Thanks!!!

During the lat 1980s and early 1990s, it was impossible to sit down and watch a little television or open a magazine without seein the word "Fahrvergnügen." It became a part of the latest VW advertising campaign. Although Fahrvergnügen is a really neat-sounding word,VW doesn't actually explain what it means, if anything. Is it a real word or simply a european-sounding marketing word created by some German advertising executive?
Volkswagen's present-day slick advertising and stylish looking European autos had much humbler beginnings in prewar Germany.
In 1934, car designer Ferdinand Porsce was directed by the **** government to create a small "peoples-car" or Volks-wagen. His new creation, the beetle, was introduced in 1939. The rear engined, air-cooled, simple, and inexpensive little car quickly became one of the most popular cars ever produced. By 1972, the VW Beetle topped the Model T in total sales, with over 15 million sold, and became the best selling car of all time.
The truly remarkable thing about the Beetle was that relatively few changes were made over the years, and its basic design stayed the same. The Beetle model was discontinued in the US in 1977, when it was replaced by the Rabbit. The Beetle, however, still continues to be produced in Mexico and total sales have surpassed $20 million.
In the late 80s VW's marketing philosophy began to change and they introduced finely engineered European models that were more fun to drive. In order to present this new image to the American consumer, the company came up with a new advertising word-- "Fahrvergnügen." Volkswagen's advertising agency, while seeking something unusual, catchy, and meaningful, came across the word "Fahrvergnügen" in a VW engineering manual at the Wolfsburg, Germany, factory complex. While the word literally translates into "the pleasure of driving" (from the German "fahr," meaning drive and "vernügen," meaning pleasure), the engineers were using it to describe what they call the VW "fingerprint"..."that unique sense of control and road feel that the driver experiences behind the wheel of a Volkswagen."
Whether or not VW cars do indeed have Fahrvergnügen, you will have to judge for yourself. The company must be doing something right, however. Volkswagen is now the fourth largest auto maker in the world. Not bad for a company that had its humble beginnings producing the buglike "peoples-car" in prewar Germany.

I hope everyone enjoys this story! Lee
Lord Helmet Spaceballs

Last edited by vdubdezl; May 8th, 2009 at 04:18.
vdubdezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 13:58   #2
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.1-5l/100

Das intresting ya!
Old April 26th, 2009, 15:10   #3
laundryeater
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '00 Golf

I wondered about this word too. I think we still have the window decal that says it in our 1990 Vanagon that my family bought through the old European delivery. I had seen it before from a window decal we got in the 80s. I was just a little kid back in those days. My brother and my sister told me that one day I took a Fig Newton and threw it as far as I could into our yard, pointed to it, and said, "Far-Fig-Newton."
2000 Indigo Blue Golf GLS TDI :: 235,000 miles and counting :: RC4, VNT-17, Bosch .216s, VR6/G60 Clutch+Flywheel, 2.5" Turboback, PD Lift Pump, VR6 Raxles, Mullet Suspension (SDs in front, HDs in back), Ventectomy, Snowectomy, DG Racepipe, FrostHeater, McNally Boost/Pyro Gauge :: I have a vag-com. :: Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9F82ER6a6o
laundryeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 19:00   #4
BrentRN
Veteran Member

Lifted from Wikipedia:
Fahrvergnügen was an advertising slogan used by the German automobile manufacturer Volkswagen in a 1989 U.S. ad campaign that included a stick figure driving a Volkswagen car.
That German term means "driving enjoyment" in English (from fahren, "to drive", and Vergnügen, enjoyment). One of the tag lines incorporating the word was: "Fahrvergnügen: It's what makes a car a Volkswagen."
In addition, the slogan was adapted into a radio jingle in which a female voice identified as "Helga" spoke:
Fahr. Verg! Gnü. Gen.
Say the word!
BrentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 19:18   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

It was listed as a standard feature for my 1991 Jetta.

Some mistakes in that above quote.

The Beetle sedan ended US sales after 1977, the convertible went through 1979. But the Rabbit (Golf elsewhere) came out here in 1975, and was sold alongside the Beetle here. However, Beetle sales dropped through the floor post-'74, despite some special edition versions being offered here. '74 was also the last year the German Beetle was built in Wolfsburg, with later German built units being done at Emden.
Old April 28th, 2009, 19:33   #6
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Didn't Mexico stop making the Beetle in 2003? I know they still make the "New Beetle".
Old April 28th, 2009, 21:59   #7
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

One of the TV commercials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQY_BZE2uE

2001 VW Golf TDI 5MT 508,000 km <The NARFmobile picture blog thread>

Check out these Videos: VW TDI ALH EGR System Explained and How to do the VW ALH TDI MAF twist

NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 22:11   #8
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

I was living and working in California when VW bombarded us with "Fahrvergnugen" on a daily basis. One of the engineers I worked with said that he thought the word was commonly used when you saw a VW broken down on the freeways of LA.

Reportedly, the sad soul that was stuck in (and causing) a massive traffic jam on the 101 in Burbank was heard telling the cop that the car had just lost its "Fahrvergnugen" and that was why the car was stuck in traffic.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 23:12   #9
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Danke. Das ist sehr gut!
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” Marilyn Monroe
2009 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen, built 10/08, "Ruby" new on 24 DEC 08, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:57   #10
catmandoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubdezl
I found this excerpt when reading Don Vorhees' Book of Totally Useless Information. (1993) I thought it was very interesting! Sorry couldn't figure out how to put the two little dots over the "u" in Fahrvergnugen.

During the lat 1980s and early 1990s, it was impossible to sit down and watch a little television or open a magazine without seein the word "Fahrvergnugen." It became a part of the latest VW advertising campaign. Although Fahrvergnugen is a really neat-sounding word,VW doesn't actually explain what it means, if anything. Is it a real word or simply a european-sounding marketing word created by some German advertising executive?
Volkswagen's present-day slick advertising and stylish looking European autos had much humbler beginnings in prewar Germany.
In 1934, car designer Ferdinand Porsce was directed by the **** government to create a small "peoples-car" or Volks-wagen. His new creation, the beetle, was introduced in 1939. The rear engined, air-cooled, simple, and inexpensive little car quickly became one of the most popular cars ever produced. By 1972, the VW Beetle topped the Model T in total sales, with over 15 million sold, and became the best selling car of all time.
The truly remarkable thing about the Beetle was that relatively few changes were made over the years, and its basic design stayed the same. The Beetle model was discontinued in the US in 1977, when it was replaced by the Rabbit. The Beetle, however, still continues to be produced in Mexico and total sales have surpassed $20 million.
In the late 80s VW's marketing philosophy began to change and they introduced finely engineered European models that were more fun to drive. In order to present this new image to the American consumer, the company came up with a new advertising word-- "Fahrvergnugen." Volkswagen's advertising agency, while seeking something unusual, catchy, and meaningful, came across the word "Fahrvergnugen" in a VW engineering manual at the Wolfsburg, Germany, factory complex. While the word literally translates into "the pleasure of driving" (from the German "fahr," meaning drive and "vernugen," meaning pleasure), the engineers were using it to describe what they call the VW "fingerprint"..."that unique sense of control and road feel that the driver experiences behind the wheel of a Volkswagen."
Whether or not VW cars do indeed have Fahrvergnugen, you will have to judge for yourself. The company must be doing something right, however. Volkswagen is now the fourth largest auto maker in the world. Not bad for a company that had its humble beginnings producing the buglike "peoples-car" in prewar Germany.

I hope everyone enjoys this story! Lee
this must be old.isn't vw the number 1 car maker in the world nowdays??my 92 jetta had a "nugen" sticker in the back window.last i saw the car it was still there.
catmandoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:41   #11
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

For me, Fahrvergnugen is being limp mode free for over one year now. Thanks TDICLUB!

2001 VW Golf TDI 5MT 508,000 km <The NARFmobile picture blog thread>

Check out these Videos: VW TDI ALH EGR System Explained and How to do the VW ALH TDI MAF twist

NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:44   #12
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.1-5l/100

Also didn't VW stop making Type 1 beetles in 2000
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:57   #13
esteeze
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: AVG 34MPG

Interesting post... thanks!
Old April 29th, 2009, 13:22   #14
Sip'n Diesel
Veteran Newbie

Fuel Economy: 900 miles on 16.9 gallons - Personal Endurance Record
Talking

"Donnie, what is fuhgeddaboudit?"
2003 Jetta GL - 5 Speed Manual - Alaska Green - Dieselgeek Panzer Plate & Full Metal Jacket - DGRP - ScanGaugeII - WeatherTech Deflectors - Vent Delete - DRL Delete - Muffler Delete - KONI STR.T - Redneck Armrest - 5 Brake Lights - Otherwise all stock, for now
Sip'n Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 18:57   #15
vdubdezl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

the article was in 1993....so they might be number one now.
Lord Helmet Spaceballs
vdubdezl is offline   Reply With Quote