Turbo Hose To Egr Fix

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Designed a turbo hose to EGR fix. Your hose will never pop out again. Requires strip of sheet metal and 1 hose clamp. Attach strip to bolt to right of EGR valve>slide under hose clamp on turbo hose>bend metal strip back over itself.

Lew

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
Your Picture Starwarstdi

It's so simple and I had a stainless hose clamp and some sheet metal left over from my work bench...No cost to me since I had the material and hose clamp....It took less than 30 minutes to make......Thank you, thank you Starwarstdi, you are da man. My tabs were almost gone. I might mention the hose does not move now when the engine revs, before it would move out a fraction because of the boost.....I was thinking what are we going to call the fix.

Last edited:

Lew

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
That sounds like a good name for it.......or "Doggie Leash" maybe! ;) :D

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
EGR to turbo fix

BIOWERX said:
How are you attaching strip to bolt? Is it just slid over?
Just drill hole in metal strip> attach with bolt>slide strip under hose clamp>bend metal strip back over itself.:cool:
I came up with idea and LEW fined tunned the design.

Last edited:

BIOWERX

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
MMMM, GOT IT ;)

Thanks

My only concern was using that existing bolt. Won't having the sheet metal under it potentially cause a problem.

ps I'm a bit of a newbie but willing to learn.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
BIOWERX said:
MMMM, GOT IT ;)

Thanks

My only concern was using that existing bolt. Won't having the sheet metal under it potentially cause a problem.

ps I'm a bit of a newbie but willing to learn.
Nope, it shouldn't. It's kind of like a big washer.

--Nate

BIOWERX

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
Well, got it done without any problems. Although the washer on the bolt doesn't come off. Ah well.
Thanks for all your help. I'd buy ya a flat of brew if you were in the vicinity. Saved me alot of $$$.
Thanks again.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
EGR to turbo fix

BIOWERX said:
Well, got it done without any problems. Although the washer on the bolt doesn't come off. Ah well.
Thanks for all your help. I'd buy ya a flat of brew if you were in the vicinity. Saved me alot of $$$.
Thanks again.
Glad I could help! :D That is what the club is all about.:D :cool: :)

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
Thanks for the info.

I would have bought the Doggie Collar from KermaTDI but his shipping was just about as much as the repair parts. $45 for a couple of bolts, spacers and some punched metal. NOT!

Toddah

TDI
2004 New Beetle
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great simple solution!!!!

I just built one and it works great! I was thinking there had to be some way to save a perfectly good charge tube that was just missing an ear!
Great engineering! Thanks again.

:D

TdiTaff

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf TDi 5Speed
I purchased the "Doggie Collar" kit from KermaTDi yesterday.
Unfortunately the seal included in the kit is not the correct seal for the connection, it is way too small.
I went to Gebhardt VW in Boulder, CO and they initially stated that you couldn't get that particular seal unless one buys the complete hose ($120 ish).
I stated that I had bought one in the UK with no problem so Joe, at the parts department, kindly checked his worldwide catalogue and came back with the necessary seal (VW calls it a washer).
It cost $8.93 inc. tax.
Part Number is;
3C0 145 117 F

I have informed KermaTdi of this problem by separate email.

I would like to suggest that owners of PD's periodically check this hose connection for excessive movement and if necessary buy a new replacement seal.
Removal and Installation is very simple, takes a few minutes and only needs some form of pick to remove the old seal from it's seat.

Hope this helps.

Threewheelin007

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Mk4
O ring seal

Found in the forum that a THM 1108 thermostat seal (square shoulder) from NAPA works great for $2.50 ea.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
i only had 10g steel at my shop, made this in the morning, stopped at my friend's body shop for 20g and will fab another this weekend, as the 10g just doesn't bend well and the hose clap looks like it may dig into the tube. for now, the hose isn't pulling out a 1/4" like it was before the leash

ty to this forum for this diy!

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
made a new one today out of copper, i didn't like the angle of teh hose clamp on the first leash i made - looked like it might cut into my hose

andyboy

TDI
2005 Jett wagon
I liked what you did so while I had the intake manifold out for a cleaning I did something similar using perforated metal hanger strap. I also used the over hand approach to allow the hose clamp to fit snugger.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Ia this hose popping off a proplem on hte later non ALH cars? because I ran over 24 lbs in my 01 and never had the hose come off.

nurdis

TDI
vw bora
these are very clever diy kits to keep the hose on!

my hose stays on fine...but i wonder if its leaking. I get a whooshing or whistling sound with acceleration and the hose you guys have designed a fix for seems loose. It wont pull off completely but it doenst seem snug. I also didint notice a rubber washer there when i pulled the hose off.

Should this connection seem tight and snug with just the original metal clip? or is something wrong with mine? Recently had the cam belt changed so maybe the mechanic lost the sealing washer for the connection. Could this cause my whooshing noise?

Thanks for any help or advise.

shuswap

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW auto
Old thread, but if you get someone to blip the throttle, producing boost pressure within the hose, while you run your hand around the pipe joint you should feel any significant leak of boost.
I did...and I did feel the leak.

Be VERY careful of moving parts that can kill or dismember!!!

TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI 1.9
EGR (plastic/rubber Hoses - How do they connect?

Gentlemen: I have a problem. I have a 2000 VW Jetta TDI. On my 3rd timing belt change and complete EGR system removal total cleaning, I'm now in the process of putting everything back together. I've forgotten where thelarge air hose from the air cleaner hooks up to, behind the intake manifold. There's a steel inlet that points vertical towards the ground by the turbocharger, and the other steel inlet is close by that points horozontal. Totally lost.
There is another plastic/black rubber hose that goes from the intercooler (behind the front passenger wheel), but again, it goes somewhere behind the engine by the intake manifold and I don't know where it hooks up to. I didn't pay attention when I took it apart. I was unable to find any photos or pictures of how the EGR system on my TDI was built or how it's suppose to look like after it's all back together. Please help. Thanks Lawrence Mathon. Total newbie.

EdElPoZo

TDI
1999 vw jetta & 2002 vw golf
p130/p150

I had to come up with a fix for my upper egr hose as well. I had a guy at work machine shop two round spacers, one to go around the rubber hose & the other around the egr. The one around the egr i had to cut in half (a bit more than half) to slide over it. Dont remember aluminum shim sizes.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=135925&title=20200612-212503&cat=7216
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=135924&title=20200612-211322&cat=7216
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=135923&title=20200612-211059&cat=7216
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=135920&title=20200612-210735&cat=7216
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=135919&title=20200612-210645&cat=7216