www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 20th, 2009, 20:44   #1
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Default 2004-5 Passat relay panels

Blocked from view by the instrument panel trim in front the driver's knees are two relay panels. The large panel is easy to see. The smaller panel is hidden behind it. These panels also contain fuses.

Larger version are available in the gallery, or save to your local computer and view larger in appropriate software.

Ignore the yellow wires running across the top picture. Those are related to the wiring of the rear fog light and indicator in the cluster.

Fuses next to the ECM:

80a fuse is for the glow plugs
15A fuse is for the injectors
10A fuse is for the heated oxygen sensor
219 is the power relay for the ECM, and also supplies power to the fuel pump relay.

Last edited by MOGolf; December 5th, 2009 at 12:49.
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 22:08   #2
vw4life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 7.4 L/100km 75% city (~32 MPG US)

How hard is it to access the back of the top relay panel? I'd like to tap the signal wire for the DRL relay so I can reroute it to my city lights with some diodes so that my city lights run instead of low beams.

I did this exact setup (but used a relay instead of diodes on my golf) and what I did was drop the relay panel and locate the signal going to the DRL relay from the ebrake. Will the passat panel provide access as easily?
\\\ David /// 2005 B5.5V TDI Stonehenge Grey - Manual Headlamp Leveling - Aspherical Mirrors - Ventectomy trouble? - Fuel Economy - Euro trailer hitch: towing, install, safety chains, towing, wiring, euro bike rack! +Factory de-tooef's, Airlift
vw4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 22:10   #3
vw4life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 7.4 L/100km 75% city (~32 MPG US)

Another question...where are the controls for the rear wiper? Also int eh wiper relay? I've always wondered if its possible to modify the rear wiper so it doesn't wipe so often. its too fast for all but a spring deluge. The delay is about 6 seconds, most times 12 would do and I assumed there would be a capacitor in the relay but maybe it is IC based in which case its probably way over my head.
\\\ David /// 2005 B5.5V TDI Stonehenge Grey - Manual Headlamp Leveling - Aspherical Mirrors - Ventectomy trouble? - Fuel Economy - Euro trailer hitch: towing, install, safety chains, towing, wiring, euro bike rack! +Factory de-tooef's, Airlift
vw4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 22:22   #4
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

MOGolf: Thanks for the pictorials . I just changed out realy #384 (bad solder joint). Am I correct in saying the glow plug relay is located under the coolant bottle in the engine compartment for my 2005 Passat TDI?

Also, where did you get the 2.0 badge?

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by aja8888; April 20th, 2009 at 23:33.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:54   #5
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888
MOGolf: Thanks for the pictorials . I just changed out realy #384 (bad solder joint). Am I correct in saying the glow plug relay is located under the coolant bottle in the engine compartment for my 2005 Passat TDI?

Also, where did you get the 2.0 badge?

Thanks,

Tony
Yes the glow plug relay is under the coolant bottle and has yzx or some marking like that on the side. There is a square plug with several wires that plugs into the bottom.
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:42   #6
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove
Yes the glow plug relay is under the coolant bottle and has yzx or some marking like that on the side. There is a square plug with several wires that plugs into the bottom.
Thanks!

Tony
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:26   #7
MOGolf
Veteran Member

You can unbolt the fuse panel (black box on the left), move it out of the way, and gain access to unbolting the front relay panel, just like the Golf.

The rear wiper delay is governed at the rear wiper.

OT: The "2.0 TDI" badge is a VW part. 3B0 853 675 AK 739 if I recall correctly. I just added the 2.0 part to the existing TDI part.
Old April 21st, 2009, 20:35   #8
Heli wrench

Why!?!? I shouldn't have to disassemble a bunch of stuff to change a fuse. If it wasn't for MOGolf I don't know if I would have found the fuse for the aft accessory outlet.

thanks MOGolf!!! and no thanks to the VW engineer that thought this up.....probably the same guy that decided that we needed the chain in the engine.
Atlanta TDI Mafia Member
Heli wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 21:34   #9
MOGolf
Veteran Member

There's another relay/fuse panel that I haven't pictured yet. It is in the black box on the opposite side of the plenum from the cabin air filter. That box also contains the ECM. I'll update the above when I do.

Have you noticed 4 relays to run 1 fan? The upper left 373 on the large relay panel is activated when you use the AC. The small relay panel left 373 operates the fan at low speed if the coolant starts to get too warm. The 370 relay operates the fan at high speed when the coolant gets really warm. The 373 above that operates the fan if the coolant is too warm when you've stopped the engine.
Old December 5th, 2009, 12:53   #10
MOGolf
Veteran Member

In post #1, I added the picture of the power relay and fuses next to the ECM.

If you really need clear access to that relay panel behind the main relay panel, I suggest that you first unbolt the fuse panel from the side of the instrument panel (two easily accessed bolts) and move it down, remove the two nuts holding the main relay panel in place and move it down. The fuse panel obscures access to one of the nuts holding the main relay panel.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 16:55   #11
timothyn

I have looked everywhere i cant find 384 relay (2001 jetta TDI) help please
timothyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 17:10   #12
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyn View Post
The 384 relay is only in the 2004-05 PASSAT (or in older gasoline version Passats.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 17:17   #13
Tom_B
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyn View Post
I don't know if this will help solve your problem but here goes:

Try looking at the linked thread below. Go to post #32 and it may answer your question. Good luck!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=209698&highlight=relay+384&page=3
Old August 3rd, 2011, 17:41   #14
timothyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_B View Post
I don't know if this will help solve your problem but here goes:

Try looking at the linked thread below. Go to post #32 and it may answer your question. Good luck!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=209698&highlight=relay+384&page=3
THX. Time to take it to someone. Fans work, Clutch comes on and off.
timothyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 23:01   #15
RickyHus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGolf View Post
There's another relay/fuse panel that I haven't pictured yet. It is in the black box on the opposite side of the plenum from the cabin air filter. That box also contains the ECM. I'll update the above when I do.

Have you noticed 4 relays to run 1 fan? The upper left 373 on the large relay panel is activated when you use the AC. The small relay panel left 373 operates the fan at low speed if the coolant starts to get too warm. The 370 relay operates the fan at high speed when the coolant gets really warm. The 373 above that operates the fan if the coolant is too warm when you've stopped the engine.
I want to be sure I am on right track, on my 05 passat tdi condenser fan does not work when I turn ac on, it works when the car heats up but it should start when i turn ac, so if the car is parked the compresor most of the time is off on highway compressor works without stoping, so it has to be the fuse or relay for the fan, should I go ahead and change 373 relay on the first panel, you marked it on the first picture as a cooling fan or I should change some other relay or fuse, thank you