www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 17th, 2009, 20:26   #1
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle
Default Wiring diagrams

I need some feedback, Peeps. I may have the opportunity to spend some time digging into the wiring diagrams and putting individual circuits on one page. I just hate digging through page after page in the Bentely going from here to there to figure out the power flow. I have started with a starting system diagram for a 98 New Beetle, but if I had the information, I could get it all drawn out. Here is what I have done so far:

I think that this would be a worthwhile project but I would need some assistance. I don't like the graph paper for the final drawings and I don't know if I would have access to a CAD program to get it drawn up nice and neat, so I would need someone to help with that. If you want to volunteer, let me know.

Secondly, I would need some technical assistance to be sure that everything is correct. I have given thought to trying to put in test points and excpected voltage readings, but I'm not sure how much of that I can do myself. Again, let me know if you can help.

This isn't something that will be happening in the next few weeks, or even the next few months, but I certainly want to get it going this year, so let me know your thoughts. If you go to my pictures here, you can see a bigger picture that you can read better.

I also need some help up front. I need to know if what I have there is understandable by the average person here. Does it make sense and could you trace out the wiring on that? What other information is needed to help make it clear to everyone?

Give me some feedback and lets see if this thing will be doable.
whitedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 20:57   #2
Matthew_S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-46

I think this is kind of a cool project. I have never liked the VW wiring diagrams. I'd help where I can when I can.

I found this software. It has a 30 day trial and cost $40 to register. It looks like it might do everything you need.

http://www.diagramstudio.com/wiring_...m_software.htm
Matthew_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 21:04   #3
whitedog
TDI Scholar

IF I am able to go through with this project, I don't think that I would be able to do the CAD drawings; there are roadblocks that may inhibit that ability for me. As things settle down in the coming months, I'll have more information and can go forward from there, but right now, I'm trying to get some things in place for when (if) I can actually do this.

Thanks Matthew for your support. As I learn more, I'll keep in touch.

From a technical standpoint, what are your initial thoughts on that beta drawing?
Old April 17th, 2009, 21:37   #4
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG

Whitedog, I admire your courage and wish you success with the project.

My story and experience with a TDI wiring harness (2001 Jetta):

Back in late Janaury of this year, I all but shipped my wiring harness to be modified for a TDI installion in my Vanagon. I had issues with the local Post Office.

So, after giving it considerable thought and no experience with automotive wiring diagrams, I began the process of doing the job myself.

First off, I made working copies of 33 pages of diagrams (enlarged them so I could see and make notes on them). There are 13 pages related to the "engine" and 20 pages related to "standard equipment." Also, about 5 pages dealing with the AC. During the numerous hours of studying the diagrams, making notes, working with the wiring harness, I began to learn how they work, splices, color coding, switches, connectors, relays, etc. I also have typed eleven pages of notes on various components

At first the diagrams were so overwhelming that I almost gave up. But, during the month of February, almost everyday for three or four hours, I studied various circuits, components, etc., from the enlarged diagrams.

I am not an expert by no means, but the 101 in "self education" of automotive wiring diagrams will be most helpful with challenges on down the road, especially with the Vanagon!

I'll keep up with your project and comment if I think it will be helpful.
'84 Vanagon ALH TDI engine (33 mpg) Malone Stage 1 tune, Polaris Diesel ATV, Allegro Bay RV 5.9 cummins, VWs 41 years, VW diesels 34 years, ALH TDIs 12 years
AndyBees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:54   #5
Ookpic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 41

Is this kinda what you are looking for? The scaling is a bit off and I couldn't really read all of your text so I left it un-labeled. Some symbols I didn't have but could always make when the need arises. It is a fairly big undertaking you are proposing but if you wish to take the time to flip through pages and draw out the circuits, I'll offer to convert to digital and create .pdf files so long as I can post it on my website as well? Props would remain yours. LMK

2002 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) 5 spd | GLI Leather Interior | Malone Tuning Stage 5 | 17/22 Hybrid turbo | Eurojet SMIC | PD150 Intake | PD150 TIP | PD150 Upper Airbox | R32 Lower airbox | R32 DSG Snorkel | ARP Headstuds | WaveTrac LSD | DBW Tuned R520 nozzles | DC Stage III+ Clutch | PD150 Stealth Race Pipe | Whitbread Performance Innovations custom 3" exhaust & IC piping | TT LCA Bushings | Durometer 80 Dogbone with poly insert
Ookpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:12   #6
Alchemist
Veteran Member

Whitedog, I love that drawing. The whole system operation is explained at a glance. Perhaps others could take one circuit and do the same, then the whole project could be compiled. I could take a page or two and fax/email the result to the draftsman.

Ookpic, I think the drawing benefits from your efforts. As you said, scaling and possibly a few new symbols with lables and you have a first class product.

Let the games begin.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:53   #7
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Andy, yes this is an ambitious project and I wish that I had thought of it months ago when I knew that I had the resources. In the coming months, changes will be made and I am unsure of what I will be able to do, but I will try to get this worked on. Right now, I'm just seeing if others will be able to help with things like Matthew and Ookpic have mentioned.

Ookpic, you rock. Your drawing looks nice with just the few technical glitches I mentioned in the PM. (Oh and the motor really should be round) Your offer of hosting is supurb. If this works out like I dream, anyone could go to that site and search for whatever wiring diagram they need and see it all on one page and have all of the testing information right there rather than digging through pages and flipping back and forth and tying to find what the heck a J393 is and how it gets power, etc.

Do you have access to a Bentley? It has a page with all of the symbols. Possibly you could use that to make them?

Another thought I had is that I don't see a copyright issue with this since we would be taking information and compiling it into something that looks completely different. Does that sound right?

Lastly, again, I need some feedback from folks that aren't real good with this stuff to let us know if it's understandable and what could possibly be done to make it more understandable for the layman.
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:21   #8
Ookpic
Veteran Member

Yes have Bentley, will look up symbols. Print was just a quicky and made due with symbols in list. Currently acquiring couple of different softwares to "trial" out and see which one is the nicest. I'll tweek the above sometime today if I get a chance and put it up again.
2002 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) 5 spd | GLI Leather Interior | Malone Tuning Stage 5 | 17/22 Hybrid turbo | Eurojet SMIC | PD150 Intake | PD150 TIP | PD150 Upper Airbox | R32 Lower airbox | R32 DSG Snorkel | ARP Headstuds | WaveTrac LSD | DBW Tuned R520 nozzles | DC Stage III+ Clutch | PD150 Stealth Race Pipe | Whitbread Performance Innovations custom 3" exhaust & IC piping | TT LCA Bushings | Durometer 80 Dogbone with poly insert
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:27   #9
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

Please try the software I have on my website.

http://killabytes.ca/cmstudnt.exe

I use this software daily. Everything can be labelled and vaules can be shown.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 18:56   #10
CoolAirVw

TDI(s): Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40

Mitchell On-Demand takes OEM schematics and redraws them to a understandable format, for specific systems. Unfortunatly printing them and distributing them is not allowed.

On a side not the format is consistant between makes so its understandable whether I'm working on

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
Andy, yes this is an ambitious project and I wish that I had thought of it months ago when I knew that I had the resources. In the coming months, changes will be made and I am unsure of what I will be able to do, but I will try to get this worked on.
Ambitious but admireable project. How on earth would you have the time for this?
Richard. ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating. ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions. ASE Certified for Passenger Car Light Diesel Engine.

Now offering Malone Tunes!..............http://www.kansascitytdi.com/
CoolAirVw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:11   #11
whitedog
TDI Scholar

We are trying to find symbols. We have them in the paper Bentley, but I cannot find them in the electronic version and Ookpic would prefer that over his scanned versions.
Old April 19th, 2009, 23:04   #12
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

Dog, I actually did this a bit with the heated seat wiring. I'm having trouble pulling up the diagram though....

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:52   #13
Ookpic
Veteran Member

What I would be looking for is a single page from the Bentley manual. The paper manual shows it as 97-14 and 97-15. This page is a legend for all symbols used in the wiring diagrams. (My personal favourite is the dual filament light bulb).

I'll be creating all symbols and then importing them to either visio or smartdraw. So far Visio is the easier one to use but Smartdraw has better UI and most likely just a steeper learning curve to get it to do what I want.

Anywho, if I have a digital copy of this page possibly some zoom shots of the symbols as well, that would be awesome! Save me creating them all by hand. I would get the eBahn to compliment my paper version however we are unsure whether this page exists in the DVD version.
Old April 20th, 2009, 17:03   #14
jcrews
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Check out TinyCAD for drawing. That, or any other free (as in speech) schematic capture software is worth looking at. Dr. Wik E. Pedia knows about a few of them.

Dia is Visio inspired if you prefer a more UML-like method. There are plenty of other open UML/schematic capture suites, just take a look with your favorite search engine.

Here's the "How to read wiring diagrams" document from Ebahn. Pp. 4-6 has the list of all symbols.

Last edited by jcrews; April 20th, 2009 at 17:18.
jcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 19:32   #15
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Default Power circuit

Somehting else that I think would be helpful would be a general power circuit. The following is just a partial, but I'm throwing it up there for feedback.

I wouldn't have things like "glow plug relay" then "glow plugs" but would rather just have "glow plug circuit".

What other things should be on this? I'm thinking that this would be a good resource for tracking down an amp draw.

I think that I will listen to what Matthew said and skip dropping all of the grounds to the bottom. It could get very difficult in more complicated systems so it would be best to maintain continuity. (unintentional, but very nice pun )

Last edited by whitedog; April 20th, 2009 at 19:34.