www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 11th, 2009, 21:11   #46
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Here's a video of my EGT in 4th from about 40mph up to where I have to lift.. No idea why the sound got messed up.. sounded fine before I uploaded it.. Video is also only 10 seconds long on my phone.. Weird..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_lLCRQOwPs
Old April 12th, 2009, 02:29   #47
Joe TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: worst/average/best: 37/44.5/52

Damn.... it climbs faster than the MPH.
(sold 8/2013)
- 2002 Jetta GLS Wagon (Traded 6/2014)
Joe TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:02   #48
Trimmy
Veteran Member

Wow thats not good... Was that a 1600 or 1800 degree gauge? Either way its way to hot...
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:54   #49
Big Smoke

Fuel Economy: 2002 Jetta TDI Best 57MPG
Default exhaust

What exhaust you runnin looks like someone put a patatoe in the outlet.
Big Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:08   #50
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

I agree it goes up way too fast.. It was somewhat like that with the stock turbo and downpipe and PP520's.. It got better with the big exhaust, good enough so I could almost do a top speed run, but now it's pretty nasty.. If I switch the RC to RC2 and hammer the IQ to around 14 or so it won't do it, but then it runs like a stock TDI.. That's not an option..

The gauge is a 1600.. The VNT's are rated for a max sustained 1650, so peaking it like that won't hurt it as long as I lift off before it keeps going. I think I can safely say there is absolutely NO soot buildup in the turbo. My whole trip down to Daytona pulling the bike trailer it stayed between 1200-1400 unless I was going downhill..

Haha, 3" right from the turbo outlet to the back bumper with a 28" long 3"ID cherry bomb in the back.. my arm fits through the whole thing..
Here's my downpipe..
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:17   #51
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

TDIJetta99 - something doesn't seem quite right - we're setup similar (assuming you have a 10mm IP) and even with my stock DP (I put my stock one back on temporarily) my EGT's don't rise like that or get that high. Not sure what to tell you to check (streaming injector or timing not able to advance enough maybe???).

JoeTDI - You're going to have a nice setup there. Not necessairly the best at any one thing, but probably the best at everything that these cars do so well. If they ever were to make an OEM performance TDI package, this would be it in my opinion. Get a camera on the passenger side dash pointing at your face when you first take it for a drive
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:40   #52
Greaseburger
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best of 53.8

That should be one sweet setup, will the smile look something like this?

Greaseburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:51   #53
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke
TDIJetta99 - something doesn't seem quite right - we're setup similar (assuming you have a 10mm IP) and even with my stock DP (I put my stock one back on temporarily) my EGT's don't rise like that or get that high. Not sure what to tell you to check (streaming injector or timing not able to advance enough maybe???).

Joe's car is going to be a monster when it's finished.. We have the pump, injectors, and turbo on now and when we went for our first drive he kinda giggled when we left the shop and it lit up 2nd gear just rolling into it.. Fun stuff.. His smokes like twice what mine does, the 3-bar MAP and nicer intercooler pipes should fix that..

I know something isn't right with mine.. That video is with the IQ up around 8.5.. You should see it jump up when it's down near 2.5..

It wasn't much better with the 10mm pump either.. I figured I found the problem when the timing piston broke and got jammed in a somewhat retarded position.. Same crap with the 11mm pump that's on there now.. Requested and actual timing are within .5* of each other full tilt.. Injectors are nice and brand new PP502's, they all pop at the same pressure and don't leak.. If I put the PP520's back in the EGT goes up slower, but it still does the same thing for the most part.. I get another few seconds before I have to back out of it..

I'm thinking about swapping a different EGT gauge and thermocouple in there just to see if maybe my gauge is lying, but it seems pretty accurate.. I can have someone sit in the car and hold it around 3krpm an after a little bit the gauge reads within a few degrees of my infrared thermometer pointed on the manifold..
Old April 12th, 2009, 16:04   #54
Joe TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: worst/average/best: 37/44.5/52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke

If they ever were to make an OEM performance TDI package, this would be it in my opinion.
I agree.....
(sold 8/2013)
- 2002 Jetta GLS Wagon (Traded 6/2014)
Joe TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:24   #55
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe TDI
Damn.... it climbs faster than the MPH.
Check this one out... climbs even faster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKaIhQZ7o3k
Old April 14th, 2009, 14:39   #56
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Who's TDI is that in the video? 32psi? Yikes...

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 18:03   #57
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin
Who's TDI is that in the video? 32psi? Yikes...
That would be mine... It normally stays under 30, but I was having some timing control issues (severely retarded) so not only does the EGT go up too fast, the turbo overshoots.. That video was actually the only time where it sustained over 30psi.. It normally peaks at 29 and settles at 28 until the EGT gets up near 1500, then it'll start creeping up near 30..

AT least I know my hose clamps are strong.. Oh, anyone notice how quick it goes from 40-70? only about 5 seconds, and it's lacking on power in the video due to the timing being like 3*ATDC and my IQ set around 12.. I got the timing thing straightened out, so I can put my IQ back down to 3.0 where it belongs..
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:22   #58
Scott02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too Many
Fuel Economy: 51/45/41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIJetta99
It normally peaks at 29 and settles at 28 until the EGT gets up near 1500, then it'll start creeping up near 30...
Hmmm, 28, 29, or 30psi on a 52mm compressor that is at it's "recommended" max rpm at less than 22psi of boost...

What are your intake air temps?
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:26   #59
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

So you're saying the hybrid is only good for 3psi more than the stock VNT15?

There are plenty of members here running 26-28psi with the hybrid.. I ran 21psi with the VNT15 for 80k before it finally popped with 225k on it..

The highest intake temp I've ever seen with this turbo was 40*C, but it hasn't been all that summer-like around here..
Old April 15th, 2009, 13:27   #60
Scott02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too Many
Fuel Economy: 51/45/41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIJetta99
So you're saying the hybrid is only good for 3psi more than the stock VNT15?
I'm not 100% certain on what trim compressor wheel is in there, but...

According to Garrett.... Yes.