www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 10th, 2009, 02:36   #31
Joe TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: worst/average/best: 37/44.5/52

Quote:
Originally Posted by keggo
Joe, I hate you. Kidding. I wish I could have all these things for my car... hehe
I was only able to do it because I got some really expensive parts used at a great price....

11mm pump, PD150 IM, 2.5" race pipe, PP502's, VR6 Air box, 3" OMI, EuroJet SMIC..... If I had to buy those parts brand new, I'd never have been able to afford this project....

I lucked out and caught somebody on the forums returning their TDI to stock and selling the barely used performance parts... I took em all...
(sold 8/2013)
- 2002 Jetta GLS Wagon (Traded 6/2014)
Joe TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:57   #32
keggo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 TDI
Fuel Economy: 39 avg

That's really awesome! I'm just getting done with the TT brakes... so maybe I'll be able to afford a turbo next year... lol

Seriously though, I'm really excited to see what your numbers will be! Congrats!

Surgeries: Vent, Muffler, and Screenectomies
HID retrofit with Porsche Cayman Projectors..............16" O.Z Ultraleggeras with Michelin Hydroedges

Evolution Skid Plate............................................. .Bosio PP764
TT Short Shifter........................................... .........TT Front Brakes (312x25mm)

keggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:29   #33
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

I just discovered this thread, and will be watching. The setup you're putting together is great. I now have about 35K on something very similar and it's still a blast every time I nudge the accelerator.
Old April 10th, 2009, 15:19   #34
Joe TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon
I just discovered this thread, and will be watching. The setup you're putting together is great. I now have about 35K on something very similar and it's still a blast every time I nudge the accelerator.
Yea, I'm hoping to put up dyno numbers close to what you have with IBW...

You have 35K with your set up and you drive to the track, race on the track, then drive home from the track.... I don't plan on doing much racing.... sounds like my new setup will last a long time without many problems....
(sold 8/2013)
Old April 10th, 2009, 16:39   #35
btcost
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: using Fuelly. . 33ish for now

I would wait on the 3 -bar until after/during tune. it will make your current tune over shoot by 6+ PSI.

put in everything but. . . and enjoy. I was really surprised by how much a difference the 17/22 made. it was equivilant to the difference nozzles make. (all other things remaining the same that is)

enjoy!!

Brian
btcost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 16:52   #36
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe TDI
Would this work?
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...771ec4fa640a80

This would go from the 2" upper intercooler pipe onto the 2.5" race pipe...
I'm hoping it can be made to work....

I still can't see using a race pipe smaller than 2.5" on that PD150 IM.
I think the 2.25" is a good match personally. That being said, if your intent on making the 2.5" work, you can pm tdikook here. He is using one himself and had to use a couple adapters. That link you posted looked like it would work, if it's not too short.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 16:54   #37
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe TDI
Yea, I'm hoping to put up dyno numbers close to what you have with IBW...

You have 35K with your set up and you drive to the track, race on the track, then drive home from the track.... I don't plan on doing much racing.... sounds like my new setup will last a long time without many problems....
Just my humble opinion, don't get caught up in numbers. If you post great numbers (like 200), there will be people who say your dyno was crap and inaccurate. If you post up low numbers (170), well, I guess you had either an accurate, or a conservative dyno LOL. Either way, dynos vary by at least 10% so your looking at a 10-20hp swing from one brand/location to another. When you get up there in bolt on's, that much of a power difference is like $2000 worth of parts LOL. Just enjoy the power (and the mileage) is what I'm getting at and don't get too wrapped up in numbers.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 17:20   #38
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much

Lol deleted my BOB.
Old April 10th, 2009, 17:21   #39
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much

So Joe if you make 230hp you do realise its only 208hp really don't you
Old April 10th, 2009, 17:27   #40
Joe TDI
Veteran Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin
Just my humble opinion, don't get caught up in numbers. If you post great numbers (like 200), there will be people who say your dyno was crap and inaccurate. If you post up low numbers (170), well, I guess you had either an accurate, or a conservative dyno LOL. Either way, dynos vary by at least 10% so your looking at a 10-20hp swing from one brand/location to another. When you get up there in bolt on's, that much of a power difference is like $2000 worth of parts LOL. Just enjoy the power (and the mileage) is what I'm getting at and don't get too wrapped up in numbers.
Planning on using the same dyno, I as well as Peter, used at Dent Sport Garage... That will give me a great idea of what I will have added.....

I'm not wrapped up in the numbers much.... very curious as to the kind of power it will make on that particular dyno, but other than that, it's not hard to forget about numbers and just enjoy the power & mileage/range ....

Not trying to compete with anybody here, just trying to get a little more passing power.
(sold 8/2013)

Last edited by Joe TDI; April 10th, 2009 at 17:40.
Old April 10th, 2009, 20:30   #41
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcost
I would wait on the 3 -bar until after/during tune. it will make your current tune over shoot by 6+ PSI.

put in everything but. . . and enjoy. I was really surprised by how much a difference the 17/22 made. it was equivilant to the difference nozzles make. (all other things remaining the same that is)

enjoy!!

Brian
Mine doesn't overshoot at all with the 3-bar.. I was able to remove my boostvalve completely after I got my vacuum issues straightened out.. Mine doesn't spike AT ALL, even if I just stomp on it from about 2000rpm.. It'll shoot up to 28psi and stay there, sometimes 29psi, but it never spikes.. Even at 28psi it smokes quite a bit and my EGT goes through the roof rather quickly.. If I put the 2.5-bar back in it smokes even worse (think modded cummins) and EGT goes up even faster..

That's my current issue, the EGT.. I can't get from a standstill to 80mph without hitting 1600 if I'm really standing on it.. If I reduce the fueling enough to not have an EGT problem, it has less power than with the 10mm and PP520's.. I still had the EGT issue with the old setup, but I figured the additional air from the hybrid would help... Nope..
Old April 10th, 2009, 20:34   #42
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin
I think the 2.25" is a good match personally. That being said, if your intent on making the 2.5" work, you can pm tdikook here. He is using one himself and had to use a couple adapters. That link you posted looked like it would work, if it's not too short.
That adapter should work well.. We'll have to mess with the upper intercooler piping anyway due to the intercooler being modded to fit a beetle.. If not I'll make my own piping to go from the intercooler outlet to the racepipe. If I have to make it, it'll be 2.5" all the way through..
Old April 10th, 2009, 20:36   #43
btcost
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: using Fuelly. . 33ish for now

funny I have some overboost issues. but I think that they are caused by sticky/gunked up VNT vanes. I tried to dyno 2 weeks ago, but a month of city driving was making me WAY overboost at WOT. . like pegging gauge overboost.

I don't have a EGT still. . . I really need to get one. but I also do not Stay on it for long. . . keep running out of road!

Brian
btcost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 20:42   #44
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcost
funny I have some overboost issues. but I think that they are caused by sticky/gunked up VNT vanes. I tried to dyno 2 weeks ago, but a month of city driving was making me WAY overboost at WOT. . like pegging gauge overboost.

I don't have a EGT still. . . I really need to get one. but I also do not Stay on it for long. . . keep running out of road!

Brian
Wow, I think you'll be surprised how fast the egt climbs.. I'll shoot you a short video of it tomorrow with mine.. I can be cruising along in 4th at 50mph, which usually lands about 600EGT or so, then stand on it and I don't even get to 90mph and I'm already maxed out at 1600 and have to back out of it.. Usually less than 8-10 seconds from any speed/rpm and I have to back down. I really can't race anyone or even get all the way down a 1/4 mile without maxing out..
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:03   #45
Joe TDI
Veteran Member

My EGT gauge is in the mail.... I'm curious to see how fast mine climbs now with the 11mm & PP502's.... P

As far as boost spikes with the 17/22, none at all.... The boost gauge goes straight to 15PSI or so, then smoothly up tp 25PSI sustained at WOT... that's with the 2.5 bar MAP sensor....

Jay, the intercooler piping is in and the bend I ordered from silicone intakes should be in by Tuesday so we should at least have an idea of what the final product will be like as far as the intercooler/piping set up.
(sold 8/2013)