Follow my 2003 ALH Project!

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
keggo said:
Joe, I hate you. :) Kidding. I wish I could have all these things for my car... hehe
I was only able to do it because I got some really expensive parts used at a great price....

11mm pump, PD150 IM, 2.5" race pipe, PP502's, VR6 Air box, 3" OMI, EuroJet SMIC..... If I had to buy those parts brand new, I'd never have been able to afford this project....

I lucked out and caught somebody on the forums returning their TDI to stock and selling the barely used performance parts... I took em all...

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
That's really awesome! I'm just getting done with the TT brakes... so maybe I'll be able to afford a turbo next year... lol

Seriously though, I'm really excited to see what your numbers will be! Congrats!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just discovered this thread, and will be watching. The setup you're putting together is great. I now have about 35K on something very similar and it's still a blast every time I nudge the accelerator.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
I just discovered this thread, and will be watching. The setup you're putting together is great. I now have about 35K on something very similar and it's still a blast every time I nudge the accelerator.
Yea, I'm hoping to put up dyno numbers close to what you have with IBW...

You have 35K with your set up and you drive to the track, race on the track, then drive home from the track.... I don't plan on doing much racing.... sounds like my new setup will last a long time without many problems....

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
I would wait on the 3 -bar until after/during tune. it will make your current tune over shoot by 6+ PSI.

put in everything but. . . and enjoy. I was really surprised by how much a difference the 17/22 made. it was equivilant to the difference nozzles make. (all other things remaining the same that is)

enjoy!!

Brian

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Joe TDI said:
Would this work?
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=14&products_id=951&osCsid=55a2adeee88f20164d771ec4fa640a80

This would go from the 2" upper intercooler pipe onto the 2.5" race pipe...
I'm hoping it can be made to work....

I still can't see using a race pipe smaller than 2.5" on that PD150 IM.
I think the 2.25" is a good match personally. That being said, if your intent on making the 2.5" work, you can pm tdikook here. He is using one himself and had to use a couple adapters. That link you posted looked like it would work, if it's not too short.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Joe TDI said:
Yea, I'm hoping to put up dyno numbers close to what you have with IBW...

You have 35K with your set up and you drive to the track, race on the track, then drive home from the track.... I don't plan on doing much racing.... sounds like my new setup will last a long time without many problems....
Just my humble opinion, don't get caught up in numbers. If you post great numbers (like 200), there will be people who say your dyno was crap and inaccurate. If you post up low numbers (170), well, I guess you had either an accurate, or a conservative dyno LOL. Either way, dynos vary by at least 10% so your looking at a 10-20hp swing from one brand/location to another. When you get up there in bolt on's, that much of a power difference is like $2000 worth of parts LOL. Just enjoy the power (and the mileage) is what I'm getting at and don't get too wrapped up in numbers.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Farfromovin said:
Just my humble opinion, don't get caught up in numbers. If you post great numbers (like 200), there will be people who say your dyno was crap and inaccurate. If you post up low numbers (170), well, I guess you had either an accurate, or a conservative dyno LOL. Either way, dynos vary by at least 10% so your looking at a 10-20hp swing from one brand/location to another. When you get up there in bolt on's, that much of a power difference is like $2000 worth of parts LOL. Just enjoy the power (and the mileage) is what I'm getting at and don't get too wrapped up in numbers.
Planning on using the same dyno, I as well as Peter, used at Dent Sport Garage... That will give me a great idea of what I will have added.....

I'm not wrapped up in the numbers much.... very curious as to the kind of power it will make on that particular dyno, but other than that, it's not hard to forget about numbers and just enjoy the power & mileage/range ....:)

Not trying to compete with anybody here, just trying to get a little more passing power.;):D

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
btcost said:
I would wait on the 3 -bar until after/during tune. it will make your current tune over shoot by 6+ PSI.

put in everything but. . . and enjoy. I was really surprised by how much a difference the 17/22 made. it was equivilant to the difference nozzles make. (all other things remaining the same that is)

enjoy!!

Brian
Mine doesn't overshoot at all with the 3-bar.. I was able to remove my boostvalve completely after I got my vacuum issues straightened out.. Mine doesn't spike AT ALL, even if I just stomp on it from about 2000rpm.. It'll shoot up to 28psi and stay there, sometimes 29psi, but it never spikes.. Even at 28psi it smokes quite a bit and my EGT goes through the roof rather quickly.. If I put the 2.5-bar back in it smokes even worse (think modded cummins) and EGT goes up even faster..

That's my current issue, the EGT.. I can't get from a standstill to 80mph without hitting 1600 if I'm really standing on it.. If I reduce the fueling enough to not have an EGT problem, it has less power than with the 10mm and PP520's.. I still had the EGT issue with the old setup, but I figured the additional air from the hybrid would help... Nope..

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Farfromovin said:
I think the 2.25" is a good match personally. That being said, if your intent on making the 2.5" work, you can pm tdikook here. He is using one himself and had to use a couple adapters. That link you posted looked like it would work, if it's not too short.
That adapter should work well.. We'll have to mess with the upper intercooler piping anyway due to the intercooler being modded to fit a beetle.. If not I'll make my own piping to go from the intercooler outlet to the racepipe. If I have to make it, it'll be 2.5" all the way through..

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
funny I have some overboost issues. but I think that they are caused by sticky/gunked up VNT vanes. I tried to dyno 2 weeks ago, but a month of city driving was making me WAY overboost at WOT. . like pegging gauge overboost.

I don't have a EGT still. . . I really need to get one. but I also do not Stay on it for long. . . keep running out of road!

Brian

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
btcost said:
funny I have some overboost issues. but I think that they are caused by sticky/gunked up VNT vanes. I tried to dyno 2 weeks ago, but a month of city driving was making me WAY overboost at WOT. . like pegging gauge overboost.

I don't have a EGT still. . . I really need to get one. but I also do not Stay on it for long. . . keep running out of road!

Brian
Wow, I think you'll be surprised how fast the egt climbs.. I'll shoot you a short video of it tomorrow with mine.. I can be cruising along in 4th at 50mph, which usually lands about 600EGT or so, then stand on it and I don't even get to 90mph and I'm already maxed out at 1600 and have to back out of it.. Usually less than 8-10 seconds from any speed/rpm and I have to back down. I really can't race anyone or even get all the way down a 1/4 mile without maxing out..

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
My EGT gauge is in the mail.... I'm curious to see how fast mine climbs now with the 11mm & PP502's.... P

As far as boost spikes with the 17/22, none at all.... The boost gauge goes straight to 15PSI or so, then smoothly up tp 25PSI sustained at WOT... that's with the 2.5 bar MAP sensor....

Jay, the intercooler piping is in and the bend I ordered from silicone intakes should be in by Tuesday so we should at least have an idea of what the final product will be like as far as the intercooler/piping set up.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
Wow thats not good... Was that a 1600 or 1800 degree gauge? Either way its way to hot...

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree it goes up way too fast.. It was somewhat like that with the stock turbo and downpipe and PP520's.. It got better with the big exhaust, good enough so I could almost do a top speed run, but now it's pretty nasty.. If I switch the RC to RC2 and hammer the IQ to around 14 or so it won't do it, but then it runs like a stock TDI.. That's not an option..

The gauge is a 1600.. The VNT's are rated for a max sustained 1650, so peaking it like that won't hurt it as long as I lift off before it keeps going. I think I can safely say there is absolutely NO soot buildup in the turbo. My whole trip down to Daytona pulling the bike trailer it stayed between 1200-1400 unless I was going downhill..

Haha, 3" right from the turbo outlet to the back bumper with a 28" long 3"ID cherry bomb in the back.. my arm fits through the whole thing..
Here's my downpipe..

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
TDIJetta99 - something doesn't seem quite right - we're setup similar (assuming you have a 10mm IP) and even with my stock DP (I put my stock one back on temporarily) my EGT's don't rise like that or get that high. Not sure what to tell you to check (streaming injector or timing not able to advance enough maybe???).

JoeTDI - You're going to have a nice setup there. Not necessairly the best at any one thing, but probably the best at everything that these cars do so well. If they ever were to make an OEM performance TDI package, this would be it in my opinion. Get a camera on the passenger side dash pointing at your face when you first take it for a drive :)

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fix_Until_Broke said:
TDIJetta99 - something doesn't seem quite right - we're setup similar (assuming you have a 10mm IP) and even with my stock DP (I put my stock one back on temporarily) my EGT's don't rise like that or get that high. Not sure what to tell you to check (streaming injector or timing not able to advance enough maybe???).

Joe's car is going to be a monster when it's finished.. We have the pump, injectors, and turbo on now and when we went for our first drive he kinda giggled when we left the shop and it lit up 2nd gear just rolling into it.. Fun stuff.. His smokes like twice what mine does, the 3-bar MAP and nicer intercooler pipes should fix that..

I know something isn't right with mine.. That video is with the IQ up around 8.5.. You should see it jump up when it's down near 2.5..

It wasn't much better with the 10mm pump either.. I figured I found the problem when the timing piston broke and got jammed in a somewhat retarded position.. Same crap with the 11mm pump that's on there now.. Requested and actual timing are within .5* of each other full tilt.. Injectors are nice and brand new PP502's, they all pop at the same pressure and don't leak.. If I put the PP520's back in the EGT goes up slower, but it still does the same thing for the most part.. I get another few seconds before I have to back out of it..

I'm thinking about swapping a different EGT gauge and thermocouple in there just to see if maybe my gauge is lying, but it seems pretty accurate.. I can have someone sit in the car and hold it around 3krpm an after a little bit the gauge reads within a few degrees of my infrared thermometer pointed on the manifold..

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Farfromovin said:
Who's TDI is that in the video? 32psi? Yikes...
That would be mine... It normally stays under 30, but I was having some timing control issues (severely retarded) so not only does the EGT go up too fast, the turbo overshoots.. That video was actually the only time where it sustained over 30psi.. It normally peaks at 29 and settles at 28 until the EGT gets up near 1500, then it'll start creeping up near 30..

AT least I know my hose clamps are strong.. Oh, anyone notice how quick it goes from 40-70? only about 5 seconds, and it's lacking on power in the video due to the timing being like 3*ATDC and my IQ set around 12.. I got the timing thing straightened out, so I can put my IQ back down to 3.0 where it belongs..

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
TDIJetta99 said:
It normally peaks at 29 and settles at 28 until the EGT gets up near 1500, then it'll start creeping up near 30...
Hmmm, 28, 29, or 30psi on a 52mm compressor that is at it's "recommended" max rpm at less than 22psi of boost...

What are your intake air temps?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you're saying the hybrid is only good for 3psi more than the stock VNT15?

There are plenty of members here running 26-28psi with the hybrid.. I ran 21psi with the VNT15 for 80k before it finally popped with 225k on it..

The highest intake temp I've ever seen with this turbo was 40*C, but it hasn't been all that summer-like around here..