All high-milers should read this!

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
Hi Everyone!

My 99.5 Jetta, a real high-miler (665,000km/412,000mi) developed a problem this past winter:

After driving during a snowfall for approx. 45 minutes, the engine would begin to cut out intermittently, especially at light throttle (okay, I know there isn't a throttle, but you know what I mean).
It would get progressiviely worse, and eventually the MIL would come on, sometimes even flashing. Codes generated were all over the map; nothing conclusive there.

Letting it dry out for a day would cure the problem. It certainly seemed that water was getting into electrical connections somewhere.

This spring, it also began to do the same in rainy weather, and this past Friday it died totally after driving through a large puddle.

After the indignity of a tow home, I removed the battery, battery tray, airbox, and wiring duct cover.

Here's what I found:
Five wires had worn through their insulation to various degrees, exposing the copper within. All were in the same place: The 3" long harness guide on top of the starter. This is a logical place for this to happen, as the engine assembly, and hence this harness guide, is constantly vibrating, but the harness itself is solidly attatched to the body less than a foot away.

The damaged wires were for the coolant temp. sensor, injector lift sensor, one of the inj. pump wires, and glow plug supply. I'm amazed the thing ran like this for as long as it did!

I highly recommend that anyone with with more than 500,000km/300,000mi. take the time and perform an inspection here. Once you get it out of the guide, you'll have to unwrap the tape from around the harness, give it a very thorough cleaning (I used spray contact cleaner) and give it a good once-over in good light. I found most of the damaged wires quickly, but two were found later as the insulation had just worn through. All damage was within a 3" span.

I spliced in new two-foot lenghts of wire to replace the damaged sections. The car started right away, and I drove it in heavy rain yesterday and in a heavy, wet snowfall today (mother nature's spring surprise) and it ran great.

I hope this helps.

Cosmic Green

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
CmdrData said:
665k!! VW should put your car in their museum and give you a new car.
When our last TD Jetta passed 700,000 km (or was it the TD Jetta before that one??), one of our friends wrote VWoC... They sent us a pair of VW watches... (we still have ours, but our friend sold hers on eBay a while back...)

Yuri

(PS: our 2003 just passed 500,000 km...)

Vipertung

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
CmdrData said:
665k!! VW should put your car in their museum and give you a new car.
I knew someone years ago that put 300,000 km on a 76 honda goldwing. Honda heard about this and traded her bike for a brand new Interstate.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
There is a Beetle TDI in Guelph with well over a million kms. Apparently they roll back to 0 at that point....

:eek:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I had a similar problem in the same place. The problem was the plastic wire loom holder, so when I repaired it I just removed the plastic holder so it could not chafe through again. The wires in that area are pretty short (factory), which helped cause the problem.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Uberhare said:
There is a Beetle TDI in Guelph with well over a million kms. Apparently they roll back to 0 at that point....

:eek:
wasnt that a married with childern episode as well? He rolled it too far then it all said 00000 so no new car for him :D

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Vipertung said:
I knew someone years ago that put 300,000 km on a 76 honda goldwing. Honda heard about this and traded her bike for a brand new Interstate.
That stinks!

The Interstate is a lower level model than the Goldwing... :mad:

Here is a new GL for your GLS... :(

kack

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 BMP
this is something I will watch out for maybe I can do some preventative maintenance now.
I too had a 92 Jetta TD make it to 713,000kms
My winter beater Subaru Legacy has 344,000kms on it.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I service a bunch of courier cars with 360-420K MILES!

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I've give my wires a check. Thanks for the heads up.

Last year, I wrote VW to update them on my car, and mentioned that everything still worked except the cassette player (which has been in use with a cassette adapter virtually every mile I've driven). They called me a few days later and offered me a new radio for free. However, I'd just gotten the Mexican market AM/FM/CD/MP3/WMA/AUX/USB factory unit for my car and had just installed it. So they sent me a $300 certificate for VW parts or service. Still have it...my car doesn't need anything right now, but I'll probably use it to get timing belt change parts.

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Took a look at that horrible bunch a week or so ago when I pulled the starter..

Great advice, lucky for me mine were in really good shape.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My 1991 just turned 412,000 miles. :cool:

Glad you got your electrical problems sorted out! Hopefully it has many more miles left in it.

m_hac

TDI
Golf, 2000, Blue
Hi,
Mine doesn't have quite as many miles on it. Only 250K km. But when she's cold the rear defrost button lights up on it's own. Not as bright as when you hit the button, but comes on nonetheless. I figured there is a short somewhere. Does this wiring harness have anything to do with the rear defrost?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
m_hac said:
Hi,
Mine doesn't have quite as many miles on it. Only 250K km. But when she's cold the rear defrost button lights up on it's own. Not as bright as when you hit the button, but comes on nonetheless. I figured there is a short somewhere. Does this wiring harness have anything to do with the rear defrost?
Wrong end of the car. :)

If you don't find what you are looking for here, you might try over on VWVortex. They are a more generic VW site and may have more information.

But be sure to come back here for your TDI specific needs. :)