www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 6th, 2009, 02:13   #1
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28mpg@74mph: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon
Default How To: Air Intake Screen Mod

The pre-filter screen in B5.5 Passats does a fantastic job of keeping large contaminants away from the primary air filter. However, the pre-filter can become partially or completely obstructed by debris very quicky:

One remedy for this issue is to hang a section of heavy duty screen in front of the air intake to prevent large contaminants from reaching and potentially blocking the very fine mesh pre-filter screen. Following is the procedure for the "Air Intake Screen Mod".

Pick up some Pet Resistant (Very Heavy Duty) Screening:

[Note: I bought this whole roll just for this project so I have a ton of it left over. If anyone's in the Roanoke area or plans to attend Impex Fest I'll gladly let you cut a section or two from the roll.]

Cut out an approximately 11.5" square section of the screen:

Remove the three screws that secure the air intake, then slide screen section down behind the grill directly in front of the air intake. The bottom of the screen should extend down well below the bottom of the intake to ensure debris cannot get behind the screen.

Insert Screen:

Cut tiny holes in the screen to thread intake-securing screws through, tighten the screws down and trim away the excess screen material.

After Trimming:

Thru-Grill View:

Overview:

Done.

This mod should completely prevent pre-filter screen clogging. This screen can be very easily removed, cleaned and reinstalled.

Cheers! Rob

Last edited by SUNRG; April 6th, 2009 at 02:22.
SUNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:02   #2
abctdi
Veteran Member

That's basically what I did. One time I smashed a large tumbleweed and spent an hour picking pieces out of everywhere, including the airbox. That inspired me to screen it.
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:55   #3
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28mpg@74mph: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

fwiw - over 25k since this mod & it works like a charm.

i recently checked and very little debris were found on the OEM pre-filter screen, no large contaminants and the heavy duty screen i installed is in perfect condition too.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:40   #4
abctdi
Veteran Member

I have since drilled some holes in the plastic part right in front of the intake tube, just because...
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:55   #5
traubenberg
Veteran Member

Very nice, I like.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 21:19   #6
DickSilver
Veteran Member

I did a simpler mod four years ago that works a well as any. Just remove the duct back to the first elbow that goes down into the OEM screen. Yes, it gets warmer air if the car is in slow traffic, but stays much cleaner and is little fuss. Gone is the scoop that hauls in every piece of trash that flies up into the grille.
DickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 17:58   #7
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

I did the same thing for a different reason. We had the volcano going off last year and our annual trip down South where it was the worst.

I took the elbow off and had a bulk filter media with me. Idea was to get to a safe spot if needed and just leave as well. Inside engine compartment a lot less crud than road and I could cover the end.

I never put it back as the mileage was the same and the advantage of it not pulling stuff in was obvious. Will see how it looks this spring.
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:29   #8
05PassatTDI
Veteran Member

Thanks. Easy and effective. Even I can do this mod. I need to go get some screen material.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:27   #9
EYE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSilver
I did a simpler mod four years ago that works a well as any. Just remove the duct back to the first elbow that goes down into the OEM screen. Yes, it gets warmer air if the car is in slow traffic, but stays much cleaner and is little fuss. Gone is the scoop that hauls in every piece of trash that flies up into the grille.
Could you please post a picture of what you actually removed and what remains?
EYE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:25   #10
DickSilver
Veteran Member

I discarded the first piece long ago. Note, the inlet is now inside the engine compartment, not in the grille where is used to scoop in all the bugs & leaves.
I can't figure out how to insert a photo here. Send me a message with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
DickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 22:57   #11
bogstomper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41/35/32

I just took my mod screen off yesterday and I have to say I notice an increase in responsiveness when accelerating, seems like it wasn't letting enough air through, I did use the exact same screen size as the mod article suggests. It just didn't work out for me after 6 months unfortunately.
Drive like the wind, Straining the limits of machine and man...Neil Peart
bogstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:39   #12
CsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: T2: 25-26avg/A6: 49

should there be any issue with removing pieces all the way back to the screen cover as in the first picture? That would seem to be the simplest and make it much easier to access area for filter changes...

If the vehicle is up to highway speeds in warm/hot weather, is there a functional difference in the air temp going into the intake? Presumably more cooler outside air is making its way into the engine compartment but does the coolant system need to work harder? considerably harder?

Finally, I see an only benefits in the dreaded winter in drawing in warmer engine compartment air to mix with fuel rather than the colder outside air resulting in getting the engine up to temp quicker, perhaps longer cool down intervals in winter idling and maybe some positive tweaks in MPGs