www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old March 28th, 2009, 09:14   #1
cmitchell
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/48/45
Unhappy "soft touch" interior paint / solutions?

Why oh why VW chose to use this horrible soft-touch paint stuff in their cars' otherwise high caliber interior is beyond me. Mine is starting to look bad enough to annoy me on the driver's arm rest and in the area around the gear shift. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an OEM interior kit... that involves removing & replacing the radio cage... nor do I want to spend hours on end carefully scraping this stuff off. Has anyone discovered any other solutions??? I've been tempted to try one of those stick-on dash kits, but I'm rather skeptical of how they would look... and if they would last.

2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed black / black leather
2013 Subaru Outback Limited Cypress Green (Wife's)
1983 Isuzu P'up 4X4 diesel 4 speed
cmitchell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:18   #2
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

So you don't want to replace it, but you don't want to remove it.

What other options are there?

Mine looks like s$%# I just deal with it I guess.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:19   #3
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell
Why oh why VW chose to use this horrible soft-touch paint stuff in their cars' otherwise high caliber interior is beyond me. Mine is starting to look bad enough to annoy me on the driver's arm rest and in the area around the gear shift. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an OEM interior kit... that involves removing & replacing the radio cage... nor do I want to spend hours on end carefully scraping this stuff off. Has anyone discovered any other solutions??? I've been tempted to try one of those stick-on dash kits, but I'm rather skeptical of how they would look... and if they would last.
I may be putting one of the stick on wood grain dash kits in my Passat. I have a neighbor who put one on his Honda and it looks good and has not had a problem in a couple of years. I believe the higher quality kits use pretty good adhesives.

Maybe some others will chime in here about the use/reliability of the kits?
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 140K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:51   #4
Nash_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63.25mpg max

There is a how to on vortex about removing it with green scotch pads, and a cleaner called awesome.

I did this to mine and got a little too aggresvie with the scotch pad and ended up painting and clearing everything with krylon fusion paint. Looks good IMHO, and has held up well.
PD Cam tools, BSM tool, VE & PD TB tool rental available.
Nash_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:50   #5
keggo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 TDI
Fuel Economy: 39 avg

^that's what I'll be doing^ If Krylon has a matte black Fusion, then I'll use that, if not, it's the trusty ol' high temp flat black... (which I use for EVERYTHING).

Surgeries: Vent, Muffler, and Screenectomies
HID retrofit with Porsche Cayman Projectors..............16" O.Z Ultraleggeras with Michelin Hydroedges

Evolution Skid Plate............................................. .Bosio PP764
TT Short Shifter........................................... .........TT Front Brakes (312x25mm)

keggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 19:54   #6
Revolutionary_mind

TDI(s): 2004 golf

Mine is holding up well at 203k for the most part, much better than say, a C4 vette or early Mk4 VW(wasnt someone saying the earlier ones were worse??).

All i have to add is that once upon a time at the dealer i worked at, we had the mobile paint guys, and the interoir repair guys who would patch leather/vinyl, dye it, etc.

This guy claimed he had a way to re-do the soft touch stuff to look like the original, and it was more durable. Might want to call one of those places and see what they say, just for kicks if they dont have a solution.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:53   #7
eGolf

I have my stuff torn apart to do the green pad and awesome cleaner trick. I was thinking of scouring it a bit and also painting with the krylon fusion, but possibly checking out the textured version. I was thinking of doing the column cover for the steering wheel took. Maybe even the front part of the dash, but that will have to wait until I see how the rest of it comes out.

Something like this in black or graphite... http://www.krylon.com/products/fusio...tured_shimmer/

Anyone have any experience with the textured paint? Will I be setting myself up for future scratch off issues?

Last edited by eGolf; April 3rd, 2009 at 12:55.
eGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 00:32   #8
keggo
Veteran Member

Today I pulled the HVAC control surround and just used some Isopropyl Alcohol and an old sock.. Came off wonderfully! Best part is, no physical deformation (i.e. scratches). I'll be doing this to every piece of the interior that has this type of coating.

HID retrofit with Porsche Cayman Projectors..............16" O.Z Ultraleggeras with Michelin Hydroedges

TT Short Shifter........................................... .........TT Front Brakes (312x25mm)

Old April 4th, 2009, 07:32   #9
WolfTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Yes

Keggo you are my Hero!!!! I have spent many hours f ing with that soft touch using everything I could think of with results that were close to worthless. I have never read of using isopropyl alcohol, but damn it works well. I don't know why I never thought of it but I will be doing this to the whole car. Thank you!!!
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:51   #10
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Save your money, don't buy the stick on kits. They look like Arse. If it is a paintable piece, the best black paint I have found for the VW interior is Krylon flat black Indoor/outdoor. Sells for $2.50 a can at walmart. I originally painted a gauge vent with Krylon fusion (was too shiny); I resprayed recently with Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Flat Black paint and it has the same VW drab look.

So, remove part; wet sand with 600 grit (cover the white symbols with tape); and spray in passes with Krylon Indoor/outdoor flat black paint FTW.
I do not support policies that increase the cost of energy, since those policies unfairly and disproportionately increase the cost of food, clothing and necessities on the poor. Welcome to critical Thinking 101.
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 15:17   #11
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

I went over some stuff with alcohol and a rag. Worked well. I'm not going to bother with paint, looks fine without it.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 15:29   #12
Louis_TDI
Veteran Member

I have noticed that the older mk4's are allot worse then the newer ones well of corse there not as old but i find the paint in my 2003 is stronger then my mom's 2000. I'm trying to be vary gentle with mine.
Old April 4th, 2009, 23:16   #13
keggo
Veteran Member

Glad it worked! I'm actually working on the driver's side door pull/window switch surround as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfTDI
Keggo you are my Hero!!!! I have spent many hours f ing with that soft touch using everything I could think of with results that were close to worthless. I have never read of using isopropyl alcohol, but damn it works well. I don't know why I never thought of it but I will be doing this to the whole car. Thank you!!!

Old April 4th, 2009, 23:16   #14
keggo
Veteran Member

My thoughts exactly. Plus, then there's nothing you have to retouch if it rubs off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_TDi
I went over some stuff with alcohol and a rag. Worked well. I'm not going to bother with paint, looks fine without it.

Old April 5th, 2009, 16:00   #15
SilveR316
Veteran Member

I rubbed mine off with alcohol as well. I painted it a nice shade of silver and clearcoat over top. It still looks great even after 3 years.