Anyone install the Auto-Dim Rear View mirror?

richfng

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI automatic
We just got our 2009 Jetta TDI for the Mrs and she wants to get the auto dim rear view mirror like they have in the Passat.

Has anyone put one in??

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Installing the OEM one requires replacing the windshield on top of getting the mirror, which also happens to be integral with the rain/light sensor. There are threads around about fitting an Audi mirror, but that can get cost-prohibitive also. I don't have the link on me, but there is a company that makes a very OEM-like auto-dim mirror for about $70 that fits the standard windshield and mirror base. I'll post it later tonight when I get to my desktop.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Ok, found the link I was looking for:

http://www.mitocorp.com/auto-dimming-mirrors.html

One thing I did not know before that I now know after looking at the auto manufacturers that Gentex makes mirrors for, is that Gentex is the OEM supplier for VW and Audi auto-dim mirrors. The Gentex mirror requires a different mount than what comes on VWs so you have to either purchase an adapter (seemingly only offered by a British company - also need to find the link for that) or remove the factory mount and replace it with the one supplied with the Gentex mirror.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
http://www.mitocorp.com/homelink-auto-dimming-mirrors.html

The above link is to a mirror with the 3 tier Homelink function; it's the OEM mirror on our MY05 Subaru Outback XT and has operated faithfully with plenty of range.

Any takers for a Group Buy on these Mito mirrors? I would buy 2 HomeLink/auto-dimming/mirrors. Group Buy?? Vendor?

The Mito Corp web site offers a $399 direct/retail purchase price although a few years ago when contacting the company, IIRC the same mirror was under $200 wholesale in quantity; 6+ units.
(at $399 nice f-king margin, eh?)

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'd like the auto-dimming with homelink, but could be convinced to buy auto-dimming only.

HyperDrive

TDI
2009 Jetta
I would be interested in the Auto-Dimming and Home-Link, but not the compass/Temp etc. as these functions are already displayed in the console.

How do these install?

hidfbl

TDI
none yet
I have bought 3 of these things. I put them on my 03 GMC Sonoma, 06 GTO and most recently on our 08 Honda Fit. I got all off ebay for $200.00 and I had the guy at a local stereo/tint place install them. He charged me $40.00 to do each time and it took him less than twenty minutes. I bought the Gentex mirror that was auto-dim w/compass-temp and map lights. I forget the model number but if you all want I'll be happy to look it up.

jayson9

Veteran Member
TDI
The Gentex is a good mirror. I too have bought and installed it on a few cars. If you search the net, you should be able to find it cheaper than the factory one.

However, the problem is the connection to the windshield. Unless they have an adapter that will connect to the original post, alot of people have cracked their glass trying to remove the old post. Not sure if it is that great of an upgrade when you might have to replace the windshield. :(

so2315

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Would it be easier to just mount the GM Style tab on the windshield next to the OEM mounting tab? The mirror would block the unused tab, and a auto glass place could mount the tab for you.

jayson9

Veteran Member
TDI
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Gees I'm good, I have found the adapter to make the Gentex mirrors mount on the VW windshield! FYI, I did have help from a guy on vwvortex that originally located this adapter a few years ago.

http://www.parkingsensoronline.co.uk/adapter-gentex-mirror-fitting-p-287.html?osCsid=jcr9olf6qlot7u8ki5u8qqtej3
That definitely makes it a better deal! Now, all you got to do is wire the temp sensor to somewhere around the TDI's lower grill area and get the power from the 12v overhead console light above..... Very do-able.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2601273&page=1

It appears that a Audi A4 autodim mirror w/ compass (in factory red that matches the rest of the car) will mount on the non-rain sensing Windshield mount and will then need a single wire connected (tap into the sunroof control or mood lighting for non-sunroof cars) to power it.

Far easier method, if you ask me, than replacing the mount. Up to your needs I suppose. I want to do this + get custom blue tinted side mirrors (like Mercedes cars have, also reduces glare at night).

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
kcfoxie said:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2601273&page=1

It appears that a Audi A4 autodim mirror w/ compass (in factory red that matches the rest of the car) will mount on the non-rain sensing Windshield mount and will then need a single wire connected (tap into the sunroof control or mood lighting for non-sunroof cars) to power it.

Far easier method, if you ask me, than replacing the mount. Up to your needs I suppose. I want to do this + get custom blue tinted side mirrors (like Mercedes cars have, also reduces glare at night).
The Audi mirror is expensive, even moreso than the Gentex mirror I believe. The adapter I posted about a couple posts up is about $40 USD including shipping and will allow a very easy install.

Da~da~da said:
That looks like the adapter that is required for JDM cars. It is not the one required for VWs.

Capacitor

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2009 Jetta DSG Auto
can you connect the mirror to the power sunroof?

Just got my 09 jetta tdi, highline, have the power sunroof,
and have seen some pics of the VW auto-dim mirror

showing a little "connector" bar piece of plastic that looks like it runs from the mirror to the sun roof, with a harness/wiring there as well.

is this doable with the Gentex (I just want auto-dim, nothing else) ?

or is there a better option, VWs price of $400 for a mirror isn't gonna fly.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I'm going to say no, it's not possible because that plastic piece hooks into the factory mirror base. Gentex sells a wire cover (you'll need the long one) and chances are, it will come with the mirror when you order it.

Nymench

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG aero & 17"
I would take a auto dim

Count me in for 1.....auto dim only !

UKSFighter

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I would like an auto-dim + homelink and adapter. I really wanted the homelink visor deal, but opted out because of all the print on the visor. So having it in the mirror would be sweet. I someone can do a group buy that would be cool, if not, I'll look into it. I've got a business that does wholesale/retail of other goods (non-vw related), but I'm sure I could get a contact somehow.

gpraceman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
One disappointment with our 2010 Jetta TDI sedan is that it did not have homelink as an option. I just ordered a Gentex auto dimming mirror with homelink from this site.

http://www.brandnewauto.com/AUTO-DIMMING-MIRRORS/GENTEX/GENTEX-AUTO-DIMMING-MIRROR-p6053589.htmlhttp://www.brandnewauto.com/AUTO-DIMMING-MIRRORS/GENTEX/GENTEX-AUTO-DIMMING-MIRROR-p8051612.html

They even have an option for the VW/Audi adapter for an extra $18. It was $187 for the mirror, adapter and wire cover, plus $0.56 shipping (yes, that is correct).

From some of the posts that I have read on a couple of VW forums, the installation should not be too difficult. I intend to just tap into the power in the overhead panel.

EDIT: Updated the link, since they changed their catalog.

Last edited:

gpraceman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
That site does have other Gentex mirrors. Auto dimming only ($69), with compass, with temp gauge, with rear camera display. Since the console display for the 2010 Jetta TDI sedan has temp and compass, I just got the auto dimming with homelink version. BTW, I am not affiliated in any way with that company.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
gpraceman said:
One disappointment with our 2010 Jetta TDI sedan is that it did not have homelink as an option. I just ordered a Gentex auto dimming mirror with homelink from this site.

http://www.brandnewauto.com/AUTO-DIMMING-MIRRORS/GENTEX/GENTEX-AUTO-DIMMING-MIRROR-p6053589.html

They even have an option for the VW/Audi adapter for an extra $18. It was $187 for the mirror, adapter and wire cover, plus $0.56 shipping (yes, that is correct).

From some of the posts that I have read on a couple of VW forums, the installation should not be too difficult. I intend to just tap into the power in the overhead panel.

You can buy a visor with home link.

Aedion

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
i just installed my auto dim mirror today. installation took about 2 hours with a bit of trial and error.

UKSFighter

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Very cool... graceman - how did your install go? Where is everyone powering it from? Aedion?

Got any pics? Plug and play on the windshield with the adapter that they sell?

gpraceman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
UKSFighter said:
Very cool... graceman - how did your install go? Where is everyone powering it from? Aedion?

Just got it a couple of days ago and haven't done the install yet. I will hold off, since it will be a Christmas present for my wife.

The adapter is just a machined piece of unpainted aluminum. Looks like a little horseshoe. I'll paint it black before installing. According to the instructions, you slide the bracket down onto the factory windshield button. They also provide a "rivet" that you tape into the hole which is in the middle of the windshield button. Slide the Gentex mirror over the bracket and secure with the screw on the mirror base. If that screw doesn't secure things well enough, the adapter comes with a bit longer of a set screw. I assume that the set screw digs into the head of the "rivet". I like the idea of not having to pull off the factory windshield button, as others have cracked or otherwise damaged their windshields by doing so.

For the install, I was going to refer to this thread on another forum http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=655901, minus pulling the factory windshield button. I'll also use a bit of heat shrink to hide the exposed part of the wiring (white stripe on the wiring that is).

We don't have a sunroof, so I was looking to power off of the reading lights.

Last edited:

Aedion

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
UKSFighter said:

i routed the power down to the fuse box, and then i spliced a 12v line and added the mirrors wire to it. i dont have any pictures of the actual installation taking place, but the removal of the panel was what took the longest.