www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:33   #61
dmorrell

Fuel Economy: 42 MPG

Would a obdcom scanner give me the same results as a VCDS?

Daryl
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:45   #62
DanG144
Veteran Member

I do not think so, but I do not know all of the capabilities of an "obdcom" scanner.

Perhaps you can find someone in your area.

This is a partial list of VCDS owners in Florida.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...67&postcount=4
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 21:13   #63
FL/COtdi
Veteran Member

Last week I checked for a negative on coolant migration and now I positively know both fans operate as they should.
thanks so much
Patrick
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:34   #64
weebl
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI-free

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagin'wagen
I wish that I had the opportunity to use my AC. It was -5 and snowing all day here. But when it does finally warm up, I'll definitely check it. I think that I might have this problem, because last summer it sometimes took quite a while for it to blow cool air. Then again, I rarely use my AC and I'm perfectly happy rolling down the highway or in town with the windows down. I'll still look into it though, I like it when things work and my dad loves the AC.
You might want to use it a little more often, winter included. The refrigerant contains lubricant, and not having that circulate on a regular basis can lead to premature failure of an A/C. A/C is very useful in quick defogging (you can have the heater on at the same time), and I find while I scrape the car off in the winter, I can have it on for extra electrical load to help the engine generate some heat. Seems to warm up a little quicker when I start driving.
weebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:54   #65
DanG144
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebl
You might want to use it a little more often, winter included. The refrigerant contains lubricant, and not having that circulate on a regular basis can lead to premature failure of an A/C. A/C is very useful in quick defogging (you can have the heater on at the same time), and I find while I scrape the car off in the winter, I can have it on for extra electrical load to help the engine generate some heat. Seems to warm up a little quicker when I start driving.
But there is an interlock on low refrigerant pressure and another on low ambient temperature. These will prevent compressor operation below about 32F, 0C.

Here in the South, I use my AC as a defroster whenever I can, but mine will not run below about 35 F. I know of one car on which the AC will not run below about 37F.
Old May 21st, 2009, 19:32   #66
everyman

Dan,

Thanks for all this great info. I'm having what I think may be the onset of AC problems in my recently acquired '00 Beetle TDI. I'm not sure what to expect from it, but it seems pretty anemic until I get it up to freeway speed, and even then not all that great. From reading your papers I thought the fans might be a likely culprit.

I checked them a few minutes ago, and right away something seems weird. You state emphatically, and it seems to be confirmed by other's experience, that the low speed fans should come on any time the key is set to on, and the AC is turned on and the interior fan running. They aren't in my car. Just out of curiosity I tried starting on the engine, and low and behold then the fans then ran.

It appears that there are two distinct triggers for the fans. Would this indicate that one is not functioning as designed?

Thanks
everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 19:57   #67
DanG144
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman
Dan,

Thanks for all this great info. I'm having what I think may be the onset of AC problems in my recently acquired '00 Beetle TDI. I'm not sure what to expect from it, but it seems pretty anemic until I get it up to freeway speed, and even then not all that great. From reading your papers I thought the fans might be a likely culprit.

I checked them a few minutes ago, and right away something seems weird. You state emphatically, and it seems to be confirmed by other's experience, that the low speed fans should come on any time the key is set to on, and the AC is turned on and the interior fan running. They aren't in my car. Just out of curiosity I tried starting on the engine, and low and behold then the fans then ran.

It appears that there are two distinct triggers for the fans. Would this indicate that one is not functioning as designed?

Thanks
What was the build date for your car? You can find it on the driver's door frame. Was it after May of '99?

And do you have the standard, manual AC? (as opposed to the really fancy Climatronic?)

If you do then the fans should come on when the key is on, AC on and a cabin fan is selected. I do not think that it is a different interlock or control circuit. I suspect that one of your relays is not working until the voltage goes up from 12 or so to 14 or so after the car starts. But that is just a guess. It could also be that the fan's brushes are not making good contact and the higher voltage is needed to provide enough torque to start them rolling. Or the vibration of the running engine is letting something marginal work.

You might try giving the fans a spin by hand and see if they take off.

You might try putting a battery charger on your battery and raising the voltage to see if that makes a difference.

You might try tapping on your Fan control module (hanging under the battery), to see if that allows the relay to pick up.

If your AC is anemic until you get up to speed, then I would continue to suspect the fans are not always running when they should.

If you find out any different, please let me know. Heck, whatever you find out, let us know. I am always willing to learn.
Old May 21st, 2009, 21:09   #68
everyman

Hey Dan,

It's a 10-99 build date. Plain Jane manual AC controls. I'll check out the rest of these suggestions tomorrow in the daylight. Hopefully I can reach this stuff in the Beetle. It all seems a bit cramped up there. Are there any caveats with throwing a charger on the battery, like something that must be disconnected first lest I fry something? I haven't got a Bentley book yet.

Regards,
Eric
everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:33   #69
DSL HED
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a gas engine

Is there a different testing procedure for cars with automatic transmissions? I tried doing the test listed for a manual car on my wife's 2000 Jetta, and neither fan came on with the A/C on and the fan switch set to 1. I even started it up and nothing changed. The engine was cold though, maybe that made a difference? I just want to verify both her fans are working since her car is now 9 years old. Looks like the fans are relatively cheap to buy if they are dead.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:38   #70
DanG144
Veteran Member

The New Beetle is pretty cramped, and any ALH with an auto transmission is pretty tight. You might have to take the belly pan, and even the left side cover, off on a car with an automatic transmission.

The AC and fan controls work the same on cars with manual transmissions and cars with auto transmissions. The "manual" designator in this case is used to differentiate between "manual AC" and "climatronic AC". These are the designators used in the Bentley manual.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:41   #71
DanG144
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL HED
Is there a different testing procedure for cars with automatic transmissions? I tried doing the test listed for a manual car on my wife's 2000 Jetta, and neither fan came on with the A/C on and the fan switch set to 1. I even started it up and nothing changed. The engine was cold though, maybe that made a difference? I just want to verify both her fans are working since her car is now 9 years old. Looks like the fans are relatively cheap to buy if they are dead.
The fans should come on. There is no difference in fan and AC operation between the auto and manual transmissions.

You will need to do more troubleshooting (see the links in post #1) to determine why the fans do not come on. On a car that age you are very likely to find at least two problems. I would not be surprised to find you have a bad fan or two AND a bad Fan Control Module. If you do the troubleshooting you can avoid spending $100 or so on each attempt at "Easter Egging" - replacing parts on hunches or perceived likelihood of failure.

Last edited by DanG144; May 22nd, 2009 at 07:44.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:50   #72
DSL HED
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a gas engine

Okay, thanks for the reply Dan. I thought "manual" was in reference to transmission type. I'll check out the links in the first post and see if I can figure out what's broken. I tried the test in my 2003 Jetta this morning and both fans came on without a problem. However, the PS fan is squeaking a little bit. But at least mine both came on!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:02   #73
DanG144
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman
Hey Dan,

It's a 10-99 build date. Plain Jane manual AC controls. I'll check out the rest of these suggestions tomorrow in the daylight. Hopefully I can reach this stuff in the Beetle. It all seems a bit cramped up there. Are there any caveats with throwing a charger on the battery, like something that must be disconnected first lest I fry something? I haven't got a Bentley book yet.

Regards,
Eric
I take no special precautions with a battery charger, except to never connect one to the car's electrical system unless a battery is present to smooth out any voltage spikes. I have even used them in the "boost start" configuration.

It is very good to clean the 3 grounds under the battery, the main ground on the transmission bellhousing, and the battery connections every 4 years or so. Bad connections can cause extra voltage drops which play havoc with many systems on our cars.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:06   #74
DanG144
Veteran Member

One "heads up" for anyone using the troubleshooting guide for the Manual AC system.

Be sure to check the voltage from the Fan Control Module to the clutch WITH ALL ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS MADE UP. On at least one user's car the FCM was putting out the required 9.5 volts until the normal 4 ohm electrical load from the clutch was put on the circuit. The voltage fell to zero.

I will be updating the guide sometime within a week to incorporate this lesson learned.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:23   #75
mannytranny
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

Thanks for the heads up.....I checked mine and found that the small fan works, but the larger one does not work. I spun the large one and it twitched a bit, which leads me to believe the issue is with the motor. Ill be disassembling it later.
mannytranny is offline   Reply With Quote