www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 21st, 2018, 20:40   #1801
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester67 View Post
Any easier way to test this without VCDS?on a tight budget to to hours cut back at work?
If you spin the blade and it goes there is a problem with the brushes hitting the armature or a bad spot on the armature.

Test continuity with an ohm meter and turn the fan blade and watch for a change.
I've seen this a couple times on a few cars over the years.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 22:08   #1802
kurtisk

I see references to the ambient temp sensor. I have a 2000 beetle and notice my outside temp gauge by the clock does not read accurately (sometimes in it reads -22 and I live in FL). Is this displaying the output from the same ambient temp sensor used by the AC and ECU, the one located by the driver's side fog light behind the grill?
kurtisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 02:17   #1803
lovemybug
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisk View Post
I see references to the ambient temp sensor. I have a 2000 beetle and notice my outside temp gauge by the clock does not read accurately (sometimes in it reads -22 and I live in FL). Is this displaying the output from the same ambient temp sensor used by the AC and ECU, the one located by the driver's side fog light behind the grill?
Yes, it is that sensor that it displays. Before you replace the sensor, check the wiring going to the connector. You may have a damaged wire that needs to be fixed.

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.
lovemybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2018, 12:18   #1804
artc

2005 passat gls tdi replaced passenger fan also ac compressor control relay still passenger fan wont run.Driver side fan belt is not electric pulley driven. HELP!
artc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2018, 13:06   #1805
artc

Default Fan problem

On my 05 passat tdi replaced passenger side fan also new ac compressor control relay fan wont turn at all driver side fan not electric its pulley driven HELP please.

Last edited by artc; April 9th, 2018 at 14:44.
Old April 9th, 2018, 13:30   #1806
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

for 4 years I've had intermittent AC operation. Finally found corroded terminals at the temp switch for the radiator. something worth looking at.
ToxicDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2018, 14:46   #1807
artc

air works until i come to a stop but fan in front of engine does not turn passenger side engine new fan new ac compressor control relay also help
Old April 10th, 2018, 08:06   #1808
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

What about the fan control relays? And what condition is the fan clutch in?

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2018, 13:50   #1809
yvon g
Veteran Member

i just bought a 2014 jetta gas job, 2.0 liter. is the check for fans the same? turned key on, fan on low, a/c on.....fans don't come on....problem or different way to check a/c fan operation?
yvon g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2018, 23:46   #1810
AnotherPerson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999 Beetle

Just a small update. Found out both of my low speed fans (VDO) are shot again. Going to mess with them some tomorrow, been hearing a weird electrical sound so I guess it was one of the fans going.
AnotherPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 11:04   #1811
AnotherPerson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPerson View Post
Just a small update. Found out both of my low speed fans (VDO) are shot again. Going to mess with them some tomorrow, been hearing a weird electrical sound so I guess it was one of the fans going.

Turned out to be the fcm. In vw fashion my car has something strange that nobody else has so Iím stuck with a Chinese replacement. Too bad I canít change the connector for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 10th, 2018, 23:43   #1812
Rinderle_77

Thanks to this thread being a Sticky, I discovered that the fans were both fried, before cooking the AC system, on the bargain beetle I just recently purchased. Saved me a pile of headaches! Replaced the fan assembly this afternoon (with a Chinese Ebay setup for $80). I guess I got what I paid for, as the RH condenser fan made it about 10 min before there was smoke coming out the hub....like the shaft is spinning inside the fan hub and melting the plastic. Yes, they both spun freely after install, and worked as they should in the test. Ebay seller is sending out a new (free replacement) set tomorrow, so hopefully it was just a freak happening.
Rinderle_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 00:04   #1813
AnotherPerson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinderle_77 View Post
Thanks to this thread being a Sticky, I discovered that the fans were both fried, before cooking the AC system, on the bargain beetle I just recently purchased. Saved me a pile of headaches! Replaced the fan assembly this afternoon (with a Chinese Ebay setup for $80). I guess I got what I paid for, as the RH condenser fan made it about 10 min before there was smoke coming out the hub....like the shaft is spinning inside the fan hub and melting the plastic. Yes, they both spun freely after install, and worked as they should in the test. Ebay seller is sending out a new (free replacement) set tomorrow, so hopefully it was just a freak happening.

Itís not the fan that dies. The low speed resistor in the fan is too small. Vw designed it wrong and nobody ever put a larger resistor to handle it.
Old June 11th, 2018, 14:52   #1814
tschager

Default Success

Well, once again the TDI Club and this blog saved the day. I drove the wagon this morning and the AC worked fine. Got in it this afternoon to take a drive and no AC. The blower fan worked fine but not cooling. I looked at the beginning of this very long thread and there was a troubleshooting step where you try to see if the cooling fans come on when the key's turned on while the motor's hot and to see if the other fan comes on if the AC button is pressed.

I did this and nothing, no fan, nothing. So, fuse 16 was the first check. Not bad. Next, the green fuses on top of the battery. The far left of the 3 fuses didn't want to come out of the holder so I got the pliers and it came out. Contact was black and there looked to be a little bit of melting on the fuse holder. Hmmm.

The fuse got cleaned and swapped with one of the others. The key was then turned on and guess what, the fans started working. Good sign. Now I started the engine and engaged the AC. Click and cooling started happening. Looks like my 16 year old electrical system may be starting to show a little corrosion and resistance. Good news is that all of the fuses are now cleaned and the AC system works - along with whatever circuits run from the other 2 fuses.

Thanks again, Guys!!!
tschager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 12:02   #1815
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Unless you want to service the fuse as often as you fuel the car, I would put replacing the fuse panel on your list of things to do.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote