www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:39   #1
kchiew

TDI(s): Jetta
Default 09 Jetta TDi Low Pressure EGR Valve Part Number

I'm trying to get a part number of the Low Pressure EGR Valve.

Either that or a picture / diagram of the actual part would be helpful...

Thank you!
kchiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:44   #2
Sip'n Diesel
Veteran Newbie

Fuel Economy: 900 miles on 16.9 gallons - Personal Endurance Record
Thumbs up hth

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=240350
2003 Jetta GL - 5 Speed Manual - Alaska Green - Dieselgeek Panzer Plate & Full Metal Jacket - DGRP - ScanGaugeII - WeatherTech Deflectors - Vent Delete - DRL Delete - Muffler Delete - KONI STR.T - Redneck Armrest - 5 Brake Lights - Otherwise all stock, for now
Sip'n Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 20:43   #3
Sip'n Diesel
Veteran Newbie

Fuel Economy: 900 miles on 16.9 gallons - Personal Endurance Record
Exclamation

here is a thread talking about high pressure egr/low pressure egr
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2483057
2003 Jetta GL - 5 Speed Manual - Alaska Green - Dieselgeek Panzer Plate & Full Metal Jacket - DGRP - ScanGaugeII - WeatherTech Deflectors - Vent Delete - DRL Delete - Muffler Delete - KONI STR.T - Redneck Armrest - 5 Brake Lights - Otherwise all stock, for now
Sip'n Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:44   #4
Pelican18TQA4
Veteran Member

Can't help you with a part #, but I did my best with a picture.

The part outlined in yellow is the high-pressure EGR, which functions the same as the EGR systems of older TDIs. The EGR valve is attached to the intake manifold and the valve opens and closes to modulate EGR flow.

The part outlined in red is the EGR assembly, containing a second EGR valve (outlined in blue), the EGR cooler, the high-pressure EGR line and the low-pressure EGR line.

You can't really see much of the low-pressure one, but it's outlined in green. What's missing from the low-pressure EGR line is the EGR filter and its connection to the exhaust (also outlined in green) just downstream of the DPF. The vertical portion of the low-pressure EGR tube goes directly to the turbo, just before the compressor inlet.

I am a bit perplexed as to why the LP EGR seems to be filtered twice and the HP EGR seems to have no filter. I am also a bit perplexed as to the exact function of the second EGR valve. I think it probably selects between the HP and LP systems because they are separate and operating at different times.
"I interviewed the late Steve Yokich, then UAW president, almost ten years ago. When I suggested that Detriot might be putting too many eggs in one basket with its utter devotion to SUVs at the expense of passenger car development and asked if the union might take a position in favor of more economical cars, he started screaming at me." -Jamie Kitman, Automobile
Pelican18TQA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 19:07   #5
kchiew

TDI(s): Jetta

Thank you for the reply, it makes more sense now since I've been looking at the pictures and diagrams for like forever!

I too am perplexed as to why the low pressure EGR seems to be filtered twice. Perhaps it is to guarantee a certain "cleanliness" criteria before injecting back into the compressor wheel?

Or the "filter" is not really a filter but a catalyst of some sort, since the low pressure EGR is required for US T2B5 emissions level? Acting in conjunction with the NOx trap?
kchiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:12   #6
Pelican18TQA4
Veteran Member

All your questions are valid and I too would like to know the answers!
"I interviewed the late Steve Yokich, then UAW president, almost ten years ago. When I suggested that Detriot might be putting too many eggs in one basket with its utter devotion to SUVs at the expense of passenger car development and asked if the union might take a position in favor of more economical cars, he started screaming at me." -Jamie Kitman, Automobile
Pelican18TQA4 is offline   Reply With Quote