www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 10th, 2009, 07:16   #1
TimBob

Default TDI Injector Pump Repair or Replace

My 2001 Jetta has an injector pump problem. I had to prime it to get the car started 2 days ago. The mechanic says it needs work. Online gasket kits are pretty cheap but what's the chance that is where its losing its prime. Rebuilds are $$$expensive ($1200.00 with core charge). What would you guys do? I'm thinking of searching junk yards for a replacement. I found a used engine (80,000 miles) for $3200.00. I need advise, thanks
TimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:24   #2
paramedick

Put the three easily accessible seals in the IP. Easy to do with the dieselgeek kits and his instructions. Slow and careful is the ticket when doing this.

When you buy a junkyard IP, you may be getting something worse than you already have.

You also have the option of seeing Growler (Reynoldsburg area) or Jon Hamilton (Marysville area) to let them do the work.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:25   #3
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

What paramedick said. Except there's also the fuel cutoff solenoid o-ring making 4.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:09   #4
TimBob

Default Cheapest first step

Thanks, I ordered a seal kit from Dieselgeek and saved his online instructions. According to the instructions the pump stays on the vehicle for the seal replacement. Should be pretty straightforward. Hopefully a seal replacement will fix the pump losing its prime. I'm not in my prime, but that's another situation. Thanks again.
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:11   #5
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedick
Put the three easily accessible seals in the IP. Easy to do with the dieselgeek kits and his instructions. (snip)
__. Yeah, the short answer is that some things you can fix. Leaking air is often one of these (as PM indicates above). But - on the other hand - there are some things that you can't repair (internal wear, broken parts, etc.) and these require a full rebuild. And, yes, that's expensive. But the symptoms you describe usually can be fixed by a simple seal replacement.

__. But loss of prime is more often from problems outside the fuel pump. Are you *sure* that it's a pump problem? If there's an air leak in the fuel lines, a perfectly good pump will draw in air and loose prime. I think that making sure of this is the first thing you need to do.
Old March 10th, 2009, 13:01   #6
n1das
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrGutWrench

__. But loss of prime is more often from problems outside the fuel pump. Are you *sure* that it's a pump problem? If there's an air leak in the fuel lines, a perfectly good pump will draw in air and loose prime. I think that making sure of this is the first thing you need to do.
Is the pump wet with fuel on the outside, giving telltale evidence of a leak? If the pump if peeing fuel out of the seams between pump sections, then new seals are needed. OTOH, if the pump is totally DRY on the outside and there's no visible evidence of leaks, the seals may be OK. Check the fuel filter, the "T" fitting on the filter and the O-rings, and fuel lines. Check the easy stuff first.

Good luck.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 13:30   #7
TimBob

Default Checking fuel lines

Besides looking for leaks along the fuel line, is there another way to check a fuel line (are these in a chase way or visible under the vehicle)? Thinking back I have smelled diesel fuel around the vehicle, but this is my first diesel and I thought that might be normal. One of the braided hoses that goes from cylinder to cylinder has a crack in it, but I don't think those are under pressure since they are just fabric braided hoses. Thanks for all your help, I'm feeling less lost.