Antenna base Fix

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Hi i got really fed up of having such crapy fm and no am in my car in the past 2 week. So today I figured I'd look at the antenna base turns out it was definitively the problem! knowing my way around circuit boards I figured I could fix it but when I saw this I knew it was gone.

Look even de component weren't even on the circuit board any more.

I really don't have the money right know to spend on a new base but my favorite scrap yard doesn't have any and since I have nothing else to do I figured I'll just fix the dam thing.
This is such an easy fix all you need is extra wire and some solder.
Cut off the wire on the base and gently strip the wire in two steps like you would any coax cable. Peel back the outer copper wire and solder it to a new regular wire. Next pass both wire through the base I made a hole with my drill.

Solder the tiny wire to the metal plate in the top of the antenna base.

Then close it all up and put it back on the car plug it in and the extra wire that was installed goes to ground.

Now I get all the am and fm channels super clear and it cost me 0$
Note do this at your own risk I didn't find any curent coming from the HU so I did it like this but if you do have curent and you do this mod you might short circuit some small electronics.
Thanks for looking

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Great write up!

Your HU is a Monsoon?

lol... HU = head unit.

Last edited:

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I wondered about doing this on my car since I have an aftermarket radio. It's good to know that it does work. I have my old antenna base sitting around here somewhere. I may try this and see if it changes the reception at all.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Today I asked my Electricity teacher that has like 20+ years of Rf experience about my little antenna mod and he says the worst thing that can happen is you wont cache your favorite radio station there is no way you will blow up you radio.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
That's really clever. An plain unamplified antenna will work much better than one with a broken amplifier. :D

I have a couple extra bases from when impex was selling them for $20 piece (+ mast) a while back, but I'll keep this in mind if I ever run out. :D

Dankcorey22

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 ALH & 83 1.6 TD CY
Variant TDI said:
That's really clever. An plain unamplified antenna will work much better than one with a broken amplifier. :D

I have a couple extra bases from when impex was selling them for $20 piece (+ mast) a while back, but I'll keep this in mind if I ever run out. :D
you got anymore you want to sell?

mikey141414

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A 2015 Nissan Rogue, 2017 Sonata Plug in Hybrid
My radio says that my antannae is: Useless

I have the double DIN monsoon. We bought the car used and the CD player didn't work. A few months later, and the radio stopped as well. Now we use a tape adaptor and an iPod. I would love to get a double DIN nav, DVD unit, but money situation says I try the antannae fix first. Hope this is my problem.

mikey

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
No need to take off the headliner you can reach under it with out distorting it fairly easily here is a good How To on a Jetta it a little harder for a golf but i had no problem.

dieseljet22

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White
Louis:

Thanks for the links. I searched for more info but nothing popped up (or maybe I didnt do the search correctly). It looks fairly simple. I will try it as soon as a get a new base. My reception stinks now. I cant wait....

Thanks to all!

Ken

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Yeah really easy to change. The snow here final melted enough to get a ''new'' base at the scrap yard 10$ and it's like new :p my Antenna fix is great but you do get better reception from the amplified basses. I change the base yesterday took me 10 minutes.

Journier

TDI
2004 GLS 68,000 miles Automatic
trying to solder my wire to the base, and it sure isnt sticking worth a damn wondering whats going on, using flux etc. not my first time soldering, assume i cant solder to this metal now after messing with it for a bit.

dieseljet22

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White
I finally changed mine out with a new one I bought online for about 40 bucks including a new antennea. It was fairly simple (45 min, but could do it again in about 15) and I now get AM stations! Thanks!

Tip: I used a paint can opener tool that kelly moore gives out free when you buy paint....has a curled edge on it that helped get the headliner out without messing it up.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Journier said:
trying to solder my wire to the base, and it sure isnt sticking worth a damn wondering whats going on, using flux etc. not my first time soldering, assume i cant solder to this metal now after messing with it for a bit.
To help it stick I drilled a little hole 1/16th I think that help the solder tock no prob. It's not that you can't solder the metal maybe it's like mine to dirty/shiny with vary little surface area to take hold of.

Good luck

AStevens

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon - 5spd
Drilling a hole and adding extra wires isn't necessary.

If you'd like a different idea, take a roughly one inch piece of wire, strip, and tin both ends. Take a pick and scratch the tiny lines on the pc board all the way through around the upper antenna tab (square piece on the top that attaches to the bottom of the mast). I did this just so there wouldn't be any odd connection from the board left. Now, solder this piece of wire to the top tab where it connects to the pc board. Why? Because there's already solder there. Attach the other end to the existing solder connection where the wire comes up out of the antenna base and attaches to the pc board. Mine had a little clear coat of insulation around it. Solder onto it where it connects to the board...there's already solder there. At least six years fixing F14 avionics taught me to be a hacker. :p

Last edited:

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Good Idea!

Good idea but if your board would of looked like mine there would of been no way you could of shouldered on it the board. My board was so dry everything was just pealing off.

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
Would it be just as effective to ground the coax sheath at the radio, where there's more room and a handy ground wire?

Is there any circuit problem with grounding the coax sheath (like a short or something) anyway?

My new HU just has bad AM reception with this antenna. Plugged in a big ol AM antenna at the store, and it's better than the factory radio that was there. Hmm. What to do? If only 680 News was simulcast on FM.

Be great to hide a loop antenna somewhere - or on my home stereo, an 8-ft long wire. Does that attach to ground, or to the signal wire (or none)?

Last edited:

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
je said:
Would it be just as effective to ground the coax sheath at the radio, where there's more room and a handy ground wire?
No you want to ground on both end since you want to divert all interference to ground.

je said:
Is there any circuit problem with grounding the coax sheath (like a short or something) anyway?
There shouldn't be any problum with a short since the radio is reciving (signal in) and not emitting (signal going out allot trickier). But you want to make sure that the shield dose not touch the center wire of the coax or if it dose all the signal will be diverted to ground and if vw used multiplexing to power the amplifier in the base you might short circuit some thing (but I'm not sure about that).

je said:
My new HU just has bad AM reception with this antenna. Plugged in a big ol AM antenna at the store, and it's better than the factory radio that was there. Hmm. What to do? If only 680 News was simulcast on FM.

Be great to hide a loop antenna somewhere - or on my home stereo, an 8-ft long wire. Does that attach to ground, or to the signal wire (or none)?
Yes I don't see the problem with this you could always do like the audis and get the antennas that stick in the back windows too.

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
Confused

So, are those of you that are doing this fix having problems with AM or FM reception? I get fine AM reception but FM, I can get stations to tune in, but the volume level is so low that with the HU volume at max, I can barely hear music, but once in a while, it'll crank up to max volume for a second or two, which is annoying...

I checked the antenna connection at the HU and it's good.

Thoughts?

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
tivoKlr said:
So, are those of you that are doing this fix having problems with AM or FM reception? I get fine AM reception but FM, I can get stations to tune in, but the volume level is so low that with the HU volume at max, I can barely hear music, but once in a while, it'll crank up to max volume for a second or two, which is annoying...
I checked the antenna connection at the HU and it's good.
Thoughts?
I would have a look at the antenna base but I would suspect the internals of the HU

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
Darn

Well, I'll look at the antenna base tomorrow, but my AM reception works, so I'm leaning (again) towards the HU.

Bummer.

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Are the Hong Kong antenna bases any good? Should I just do the gut and solder trick? I can pick up a Hong Kong base for $10. I don't know if there is anything wrong with mine except the base gasket.

rgi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Is it possible to retrofit one of the nittle nub antennas on instead of the standard mkiv long whip ones? I'm thinking like the ones that are on the new jettas or audis...

Last edited:

JStand911

TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan
I took mine apart and it wasn't too bad. I used a 7/8" wrench bc I didnt have a 24mm handy. The pant can opener worked good to be able to get that lip pulled loose from the back glass, but not worth crap to get it back on. I made a custom tool out of a coat hanger to slide it down the edge and zip it back over on re-installing. Since I didn't see any corrosion, I sealed it back up better than it was when I took it apart, and used di-electric on the connections. Lots better on reception, and since I tend to spend time stuck in traffic, probably one of the best things I have ever done to the car.

Bennett

TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 Blue, Jetta GLS 2002 Silver
For "OEM" amplified antenna bases try: antennamastsrus.com. Price was under $24 each.