www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old February 13th, 2009, 18:23   #1
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Default Inexpensive Code Reader for GM Products?

I replaced the spark plugs, ignition wires, and the fuel and air filters in my wife's Buick this weekend and after two hours of driving the CEL illuminated. Car runs great though. I double checked and everything I unplugged and it appears to be reconnected. I even checked the fuel cap for tightness. I have a few questions:

I take it my VAG-COM will not work on an American car, correct?

Do these CELs reset themselves if the problem corrects itself, or does the ECU have to be reset with a code reader?

What is a decent, but inexpensive, code reader (if one exists) I can buy at the auto parts jobber to troubleshoot this?

This is a bummer because the registration is due to be renewed next month and the car has to pass an OBD II test before the DMV will renew the registration.

Thanks.

--Nate
Old February 13th, 2009, 18:26   #2
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Nate: I bought one at Harbor freight a couple of years ago for $40.00. Son-in-law proceeded to lose it, but it worked well.

Autozone has free code reading, but some locations will not reset the ECU and clear the code.

go here: http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...rd=code+reader
2014 Passat SE TDI DSG, Opera Red Metallic, Cornsilk interior

Last edited by aja8888; February 13th, 2009 at 19:17.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:55   #3
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: best: 49.91 hwy w/ ULSD worst: 28.xx city with Jet-A/D1 mix

Try this: http://obddiagnostics.com/

It works on your laptop, has a very similar cable to Vag-Com and does a lot of the same functions. (I don't think it accesses airbags and etc. though) It's like $70.

Hey aja, nice signture; I'm going to have o find some other peoples comments and put them in my signature like that...wait a minute...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP
...you [are] a loyal VW owner, wether you like it or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_TDi
I'm just not buying the whole, 01M sucks...end of story bit.

2001 Jetta Sedan GLS. 01M trans. Koni Reds. Evo Skidplate. Otherwise stock.

I <3 my automatic transmission. =)

They say that if you play a Windows CD backwards, it plays satanic music; that's nothing, if you play it forward, it installs Windows!
FL2AK-tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:27   #4
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, this gives me something to go on. I found I have plenty of time, the registration expires at the end of April, so I can mail order a scanner.

--Nate
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:53   #5
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

Many auto parts stores will read and rest the codes for you.
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:16   #6
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2AK-tdi
Try this: http://obddiagnostics.com/

Hey aja, nice signture; I'm going to have o find some other peoples comments and put them in my signature like that...wait a minute...
FL2AK-tdi: I don't know what this place would be like without your commentary....
2014 Passat SE TDI DSG, Opera Red Metallic, Cornsilk interior
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 19:48   #7
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Meehan
Many auto parts stores will read and rest the codes for you.
That's what I did. I borrowed a reader from Advance Auto Parts. Front O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction. I verified no resistance on it (burned out), so I replaced the O2 sensor, and first got the wrong one (the catalog was wrong), so if you have a 2001 Buick, be forwarned. 1997 - 2000 AND 2002 models take a Bosch 13474 (the one Pep Boys sold me for my 2001) and 2001 - 2005 models take a Bosch 13193. This means 2002 takes either or, depending on the connector. A parts person at NAPA figured all of this out and his catalog was wrong as well, but the computer had the correct information. The connector on the 2001 did not mate up on the first O2 sensor I bought, but did if I rotated it 180 degrees, but would not lock and the terminals were connected wrong with it rotated and the CEL came right back on. I now have the correct O2 sensor installed, but the CEL is still on, I have to go get the code cleared again. I hope the wrong first sensor did not screw up the ECU.

Its odd, but the spark plugs for 2001 are for that year only, but the engine is the same 3.1 liter for all the years mentioned above, I believe. Very odd.

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; February 14th, 2009 at 19:52.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote