Son put GASOLINE in my diesel- HELP

slboyd2

TDI
2002 Jetta
I love my TDI, I've owned it for 7 years, my son, for some brain dead reason, filled it with regular GASOLINE. I went to start it, sounded 'strange' and would not start. I called him and he said OMG - Yes. It was almost empty - so there is about 10 gallons of gas in there - He did tell me it started right after and seemed to drive OK -

ANY SUGGESTIONS, any idea what $$ I'm looking at to get it fixed?

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Get the car towed to a trusted mechanic. (Don't start it again)

Diesel fuel is also a lubricant for most everything in the fuel system, so apart from engine damage, you could be looking at replacing a fuel pump, etc.

At the minimum, the tank needs to be dropped and drained, the entire fuel system needs to be purged. At least a couple hundred $$$.

If my son did that, he would be washing my car once a week for a year... once the wounds healed and he could walk again, of course ;)

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Pull the filter. It is toast. Drain the lines and flush the IP with fresh diesel, you need the ignition on but don't start. Use Mity Vac on the return line (remove thermostatic tee). Put the supply line in a container of good diesel. Pull at least 2 quarts of diesel with Power Service white bottle through it. Max dosage.

Drain the tank. No need to drop it, there is a 6" diameter hole, accessible from the inside, right rear. Metal cover secured with 3 screws, then unplug the hoses and sending unit lead. Cover the hoses with a towel to soak up the fuel. Unscrew the ring, then remove the sending unit and drain.

Get ALL fuel out of there, then 5 gallons of good diesel.

Take it out of son's hide with a belt sander, preferably on areas he wants to get tattooed (or already has).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Drain the tank and change the fuel filter. Fill the tank with B20 if available and the filter. Suck fuel from the return fitting until you get just diesel. Start car and hope the pump isn't toast.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
velociT said:
More info: The car was driven for 10+ miles with RUG.
What temperature? The thermostatic tee will prevent diesel return if cold. This means less gasoline will dilute the diesel. 10 miles means one quart of fuel at a minimum so it might have some damage since there is about a quart in the sending unit, lines and filter.

That it won't start means there is enough gasoline in the fuel, about 50%. Doesn't look good. About $1200 for a rebuilt pump and $200 to install it, from a good mechanic.

How many miles on that TB?

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/DSG,2002 Jetta w/ 01m,99 Jetta
I have a beater tdi I lent to a friend once, he put $10 rug in an empty tank, drove it for 10 mins, stopped and car would not resart. I towed it home, drained tank from under back seat, drained filter,filled with diesel and ps white bottle, been running fine since.. that happened in the fall and no issues yet?

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
jonathantingley said:
I have a beater tdi I lent to a friend once, he put $10 rug in an empty tank, drove it for 10 mins, stopped and car would not resart. I towed it home, drained tank from under back seat, drained filter,filled with diesel and ps white bottle, been running fine since.. that happened in the fall and no issues yet?

Yep, all the hyperbole aside it's not that big of a deal..... drain the tank as best as you can (yep tube and suck :) it out); pull the fuel filter; use a suction tool (mityvac) to remove as much gas from the line; fill the new filter with diesel purge and the tank (5 gallons at a time with diesel from the proverbial Gerry cans); cross fingers and you should be okay. The 2002 is more rugged then other contemporary later model tdis.

To the OP, please place the type of car in your question. Please feel free to add as much detail as possible (I know being as vague as possible is in style). Your public profile has you owning a 2002 tdi and my answer is written as such is the effected vehicle.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
In the cold we had last night, 10 miles or so is about what it'd take to use up all the diesel in the fuel filter and just get you to the point of bad juju. As others have said, you need to completely drain the tank, replace the fuel filter, and purge the lines. You'll probably be ok for damage to the pump and injectors.

If you do it yourself, you'll have several hours work, and a load of gasoline that should go into your son's car, and let it remind him as it "knocks" around for the next week or two, of the error of his ways. And he never gets the keys to YOUR car again as long as he lives.

If you have a mechanic do it, it'll run to $200-400 to repair. Junior can pay that bill as well as buy you a full tank of the right go-juice.

Make him up a sign to wear as he refuels your car (under heavy adult supervision): "I'm a Moron, ask me for the juicy details."

slboyd2

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thank you all, I like the sandblaster to his hid, and I'm making him a sign to wear. It has 140,000 miles. Calling a Mechanic, don't want to screw it up more then it is right now.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
slboyd2 said:
I love my TDI, I've owned it for 7 years, my son, for some brain dead reason, filled it with regular GASOLINE. I went to start it, sounded 'strange' and would not start. I called him and he said OMG - Yes. It was almost empty - so there is about 10 gallons of gas in there - He did tell me it started right after and seemed to drive OK -

ANY SUGGESTIONS, any idea what $$ I'm looking at to get it fixed?
What are the odds that your son was either texting or talking on the cell phone at the same time he was filling up your car ?

Had a friend whose kid did just that not to long ago.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Ok as your car is a 2002 I can help. Take out the big side of the backseat bottom. There you will see a formed black metal cover, take it off. What you will then see is the fuel pickup assembly with two fuel lines and an electrical connector; squeeze on the fuel line connector and it will release, electrical connector is similar for removal but I cannot describe it. With these lines removed you can remove the fuel pickup and have access to the tank.

Use a Pela 6000 or similar system to suck most of the fuel out of the tank.

Now under the hood. Of course you are replacing your fuel filter. So now using a compressor, blow back through the lines coming from the tank to clean them out. Fill new filter with Power Service or Standyne fuel treatment, and then using a MityVac pull the fuel treatment through the pump.

Gasoline in the tank is similar to water in the tank. Only with water in the tank you do not need to drain it just add Power Service 911.

A little gasoline left in the tank is not great but IMHO it is ok.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

AA mis-fuelling service expanded

21 February, 2008

BusinessCar award-winning company the AA has recruited six new technicians to assist drivers that have put the wrong fuel in their car.
AA Fuel Assist was launched in November of last year and is available to both members and non-members of the AA.

According to the AA, misfuels have doubled in number over the past 10 years, meaning there are now around 150,000 annually.

Donald MacSporran, AA technical performance manger, said the increased demand for the service “is being driven by the growth in diesel car sales – they’re so quiet and powerful that people sometimes forget they’re driving one”.

The AA claims the roadside service is able to get 99% of cars back on the road after the 45-minute draining process, saving drivers from a potential £5000 repair bill. :eek:

(5,000.00 GBP = 7,387.49 USD)

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Curious Chris said:
Ok as your car is a 2002 I can help. Take out the big side of the backseat bottom. There you will see a formed black metal cover, take it off. What you will then see is the fuel pickup assembly with two fuel lines and an electrical connector; squeeze on the fuel line connector and it will release, electrical connector is similar for removal but I cannot describe it. With these lines removed you can remove the fuel pickup and have access to the tank.

Use a Pela 6000 or similar system to suck most of the fuel out of the tank.

Now under the hood. Of course you are replacing your fuel filter. So now using a compressor, blow back through the lines coming from the tank to clean them out. Fill new filter with Power Service or Standyne fuel treatment, and then using a MityVac pull the fuel treatment through the pump.

Gasoline in the tank is similar to water in the tank. Only with water in the tank you do not need to drain it just add Power Service 911.

A little gasoline left in the tank is not great but IMHO it is ok.
Note, blowing out the lines under the hood will splash fuel in the rear seat area..wrap the connectors in the rear with a towel.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Wrong fuel

This problem is covered under the FAQ section. Also learn how to do a search. Read first ask questions later. Check signature on proper use of search.:cool:

VillageAuto

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I had the same thing as the OP happen to me EXCEPT with DEF. I sent a friend to put diesel in my 2012 Passat TDI. He went to a truck stop where the diesel and DEF pumps are side by side. Long story short...he put about a gallon in before realizing the mistake. Fortunately, the car wouldn't start. However the key was turned over, thus infecting the fuel system. Got it towed home and here's what I've done so far...

•Pulled the fuel pump out, drained and cleaned the tank.
•Cleaned the old pump and put it back in.
•Filled the tank with 7 gallons of fresh diesel and 8 oz. of Lucas Complete Engine Treatment.
After a few tries, she started (YESSS!!). Then after about half a minute, she shut down. I haven't been able to get her started again since. My next step is to replace the plugs and fuel filter. Any suggestions??

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I had the same thing as the OP happen to me EXCEPT with DEF. I sent a friend to put diesel in my 2012 Passat TDI. He went to a truck stop where the diesel and DEF pumps are side by side. Long story short...he put about a gallon in before realizing the mistake. Fortunately, the car wouldn't start. However the key was turned over, thus infecting the fuel system. Got it towed home and here's what I've done so far...
•Pulled the fuel pump out, drained and cleaned the tank.
•Cleaned the old pump and put it back in.
•Filled the tank with 7 gallons of fresh diesel and 8 oz. of Lucas Complete Engine Treatment.
After a few tries, she started (YESSS!!). Then after about half a minute, she shut down. I haven't been able to get her started again since. My next step is to replace the plugs and fuel filter. Any suggestions??
Find some smarter friends. :D But really, I'd use the in tank pump to push out the 7 gallons of contaminated fuel, empty the fuel filter canister and replace filter. I'd route the fuel return into a container to catch the first couple quarts of fuel that gets cycled back to the tank.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The fuel cap on my 06 says "Diesel only" in big yellow letters. Do the 02s have the same message?
Mine says it inside the door on a nifty decal. i even pit a Diesel inside vinyl on the fuel door. Just in case. i almost put diesel in the rental because i got so used to ut. Will be fun this summer with the motorcycle.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yes and my parents made me pay the repair bill. Certainly preferable to physical punishment
lucky you. I got all 3 types. had to work off the payment as well as it taken from my hyde, fix the issue, and i still hear about it years later.