FrostHeater for 2009 Jetta - Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
The wait is over!

A Custom FrostHeater kit is now available for your 2009 Jetta Common Rail Clean Diesel.

Please visit our website www.FrostHeater.com to order at the special introductory price.

Automatic transmission kits will ship at the end of the week (1/31) at the latest.

Note if you have the manual transmission, there will be a delay of approx 2 weeks before it ships.

Thanks,
Terry

bigman111387

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Platinum Gray Sedan Manual
have you heard of having to reflash the engine in order for the edc17 to functionally recgonize the heater?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
bigman111387 said:
have you heard of having to reflash the engine in order for the edc17 to functionally recgonize the heater?
Non-issue. Does not connect to anything other than the coolant hoses.

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
How many watts, how long to install for a newb to vw's?
Thanks.

Edit: Found it myself.

1000 watts and an instruction booklet, though doesnt say if itll take me 15 hours or 15 minutes, just that no fabrication required.

Last edited:

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
Any chance of getting the instruction booklet before buying the heater? I want to make sure I have the tools/abilities for the install before I drop the money to buy it.

Also I am a n00b...so I am just guessing you plug this into a house outlet to run before starting the car? How long do you plug it in for before starting (on lets say a 10degree F day)? Overnight?

Thanks!

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Put a timer on an outlet. Run cord to car and plug it in. Set timer for 4 hours before you need the car.

Or do like I do. Plut it in at work and just leave it. Boss said he doesn't care, so........

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
Got ya.

Will this get your engine at near "optimal" temp more quickly (and if so by how much). I know it says it "reduces times," but what does that really mean?

Also does anyone have the manual online that they can link me to (2009 JSW TDI).

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
Also, does anyone know what kind of MPG improvements you will get using this in the winter?

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Call Terry frost up and he will help you. He can do the heater in an hour or two. You need to have extra coolant to do the job and it helps to have a car hoist but on ramps works as well. It gets it operating temps depending on how long it is pluged in, how cold it is out side and if there is a strong wind blowing right at the engine. I have one on my 81 rabbit truck, 81 rabbit car, 04 golf. My father put one on his 06 jetta and now his 09 jetta (which you can thank him for the 09 kit as that was Terries first experiment to get it fit in the engine). Overall. I would get this if anyone is doubting it. Also there won't be any MPG increase other then the first couple miles. It just helps you have a warmer car to get in to and prevents some of the cold start up wear and tear.

Last edited:

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
How easy was the install on the 09? I hate paying people to do things, so if I cannot do it myself it doesn't get done. Hopefully I will be getting the directions to install on a DSG in my email soon, so I can decide to purchase or not.

I honestly have the standard set of tools (sockets, screwdrivers, etc) and a set of ramps. How easy was it!?

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
coalminer16 said:
Also there won't be any MPG increase other then the first couple miles. It just helps you have a warmer car to get in to and prevents some of the cold start up wear and tear.
Although as coalminer state, that there is no mileage savings on a warm engine, there is a signficant fuel savings though. I use my 2009 every day commuting to work so my fuel consumption is very constant and predictable. From my records and calculations, it seems that my fuel consumption per trip has been reduced by about a quarter of a litre for every startup since my coolant heater was installed.

In addition to fuel savings, there a other advantages that I have realized. The car starts obediantly, and enters a slow smooth idle right away. No need for a second battery in the trunk as some have advocated. Also, the engine is halfway to full operating temperature in a mile instead of six.

If there is a disadvantage, I cannot post any heroic stories and accounts of how I cycled my glow plugs, cabled in a second battery, and did this and that to make my car start. It just -- starts!

TDI
2004 golf
y0bailey said:
Got ya.

Will this get your engine at near "optimal" temp more quickly (and if so by how much). I know it says it "reduces times," but what does that really mean?

Also does anyone have the manual online that they can link me to (2009 JSW TDI).
My car is in a garage every night, so it doesnt get much under 30, but the car is at FULL operating temperature when I start it, and it stays there.

Outside, it gets pretty close to operating temp unless its like 10 or below, but it is still above the 3 hash marks.

The frost heater IMO is absolutely necessary in cold climates. The benefits include, much less wear on the engine, starter, battery, less fuel consumption during warm up, and that can only be good for the engine.. i dont like mine running super rich during the cold, could dilute the oil.

It also warms my oil a bit, and the transmission is warmed , as I can feel the shifting is smoother.

philmcneal

TDI
None
so what's the difference betwen this and the VW OEM block heater? I live in really cold areas with a lot of short trips so I feel this is a worthy addition to the TDI accessories, just the fact if this aftermarket is stronger then 1000 w is nothing to sneeze at :p

agdtec

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 2000 blk
y0bailey said:
Got ya.

I dont have a garage so when the temps went below zero its was always a crap shoot if my car was going to start or not. Intalled it this year and never had a problem with it starting, but when it was really cold ) degrees or colder heater was still not blowing hot air. and had to drive to get the heat up, but not as much as if the tdiheater was not on.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
The difference between this and a block heater is that our TDI's don't have a plug to stick a block heater in it. The only other option was an oil pan heater which actual could start on fire (hear of a few that did). So all your options lie in aftermarket things that have to plumb into a coolant line somewhere. The nice thing about the frost heaters are that they come with the needed pictures and instructions of install. He does that for a reason so you don't have to have lot of tools or knowledge short of basic. You do need some extra coolant before you start as you will loose some but not all the coolant on istall plus the piping of the heater needs to be filled as well. I haven't had any problem plugging this in and having a car at operating temps. As my wife drives the car more and it takes so long for us to relize the fuel gain I couldn't say it helps or hurts fuel but it can't hurt the mpg. I havn't actually seen my fathers 2009 install but Terry does a good job at making it simple for others to install. It does help to have a garage or do it on a warm dry day though. Also, you can buy all the parts yourself. You have to get the heater, place it as low as you can to circulate the heated coolant (heat rises, cold lowers) and find places to plumb in. But depending on what your time is per hour this is well worth it as the first one's always take the most time and following is much shorter times.

SAABMaven

TDI
2009 SportWagen
more than two years on... feedback?

Folks,

Any product feedback now that it's over two years that this has been on the market? Cracks in the plastic and coolant leaks after a year? Or trouble-free operation?

Last week I saw a new VW beetle on the E-470 in Colorado pull to the side of the road, then suddenly burst into flames. Reminder that new cars're running at high temperatures with more and more plastic bits from China & Mexico... but I'm just a n00b, what do I know, I drive a 2009 Jetta with door panels held on by double-sided TAPE, They get loose occasionally, needing more tape ;)

Cheers,
Robert

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
http://www.amazon.com/Zerostart-330..._2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1404425284&sr=1-2

bumping this. i need one of these soon.

will this bolt in directly like the frostheat ones without the checkvalve? or should i just dump the bigger $$$ spend and get the kit from frostheat?

09 sportwagen with cbea cr

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ZRO0/3300039/N0649.oap?ck=Search_N0649_ZRO_-1_-1&mn=Zerostart%28R%29&mc=ZRO&pt=N0649&ppt=C0076

if our car ports @ work won't trip, ill find away to get one of these dudes in there!!!

Last edited:

red golf tdi

TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
http://www.amazon.com/Zerostart-330..._2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1404425284&sr=1-2

bumping this. i need one of these soon.

will this bolt in directly like the frostheat ones without the checkvalve? or should i just dump the bigger $$$ spend and get the kit from frostheat?

09 sportwagen with cbea cr

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ZRO0/3300039/N0649.oap?ck=Search_N0649_ZRO_-1_-1&mn=Zerostart%28R%29&mc=ZRO&pt=N0649&ppt=C0076

if our car ports @ work won't trip, ill find away to get one of these dudes in there!!!
Nope, won't work.....only our kits work in the common rails.

red golf tdi

TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Folks,
Any product feedback now that it's over two years that this has been on the market? Cracks in the plastic and coolant leaks after a year? Or trouble-free operation?
Last week I saw a new VW beetle on the E-470 in Colorado pull to the side of the road, then suddenly burst into flames. Reminder that new cars're running at high temperatures with more and more plastic bits from China & Mexico... but I'm just a n00b, what do I know, I drive a 2009 Jetta with door panels held on by double-sided TAPE, They get loose occasionally, needing more tape ;)
Cheers,
Robert
2009 models we've had installed over 6 years, and been installing kits for over 15 years into TDIs! They don't seem to fail unless installed incorrectly, or started or ran with the heater still plugged in. They've been very reliable and durable heater units.

Status
Not open for further replies.