www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:15   #1
karlthev
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009
Default ULSD station locations

Well, lemme fess up and state that I fibbed (just a tad! ) when I signed up here. I don't CURRENTLY own a TDI but..but I am right on the edge of plunking down $15,000 deposit on one (I DO own two gas Jettas though if that counts for anything! ) but I have some residual concerns about fuel availability. Two days ago I drove a gas 5 speed and a TDI manual and that pretty much cinched the deal until I drove home and stopped into four local fuel ("gas") stations and none of them carried ULSD fuel!

I travel Pennsylvania (99%) and Eastern NJ and NY (Southern Pa border) and really don't want to find myself with a great little car but no fuel to be had. I've done some preliminary searching the Web for a nice, tidy data list (IDing locations where said ULSD fuel can be had) which I can keep in my new car-to-be but I sure didn't find one yet and, I'd like a bit of assist.

Am I a lousy Web surfer, does such a list not exist or, am I overly anal (Oh Lordy, let it not be this last possibility!)?

Tips, assurances and condolences all accepted with appreciative comments! Thanks.

Karl
karlthev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:30   #2
Nutsnbolts

Fuel Economy: Average is about 47 now (2010)

Well, if you asked specifically for ULSD, then the gas station attendant may have given you a strange look. For what it's worth, all diesel fuel now available at any service station will be ULSD (except maybe the off-road fuel). That law became effective in September of 2007.

Did you have stations with diesel pumps, or were you looking specifically for signs saying ULSD?

-Rich

2000 Jetta, M1TDT since 20K, RC2, PP520s, W8 panel, front/rear fogs, Pseat w/mem. Other cars:1968 Chrysler 300 2dr HT
Nutsnbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:38   #3
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Almost every station that sells diesel will be selling ULSD unless you're in the middle of bumble-eff-nowhere and buying off-road farm diesel.

ULSD is the new diesel.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:00   #4
NateinAA

TDI(s): None (yet)

Just remember LOW Sulfur and ULTRA LOW Sulfur aren't the same thing.

Before I "read up" on diesel I noticed the pumps at my usual gas station said LOW Sulfur and had a warning against using the fuel on >2007 MY cars. Couldn't figure that out till I relized the distinction and that the new cars use ULTRA LOW. It is a station out in a rural area, so I'm sure they have old diesel to keep their farm customers happy (LOTS of oil burner F-Series pickups).

Good luck with the TDI search Karl, I'm in the same boat!

-Nate
NateinAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:03   #5
paramedick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsnbolts
Well, if you asked specifically for ULSD, then the gas station attendant may have given you a strange look. For what it's worth, all diesel fuel now available at any service station will be ULSD (except maybe the off-road fuel). That law became effective in September of 2007.-Rich
Nope. The local station that I have been purchasing ULSD from had a new LSD sticker up last time I was there. The sticker was posted about 8 foot up on a support column for the canopy, not the pump. They must have gotten a good deal on the LSD.

Bummer, as I'd just filled the 09. Not good.

Last edited by paramedick; January 22nd, 2009 at 11:06.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:15   #6
karlthev
Veteran Member

To tell you the truth, not being a dyed-in-the-wool diesel afficianado, I wasn't looking for any specific signs indicating ULSD fuel so, it was pretty much a random, whatever station came up first stop in for me. Understand that not having to look for anything in terms of "specialized fuel" (to me that's everything but gas after driving gas cars for the past 41+ years!) I wasn't doing any kind of in-depth search save for a "I'll try this one next" approach.

Nah, I'm not located in the middle of a cornfield either, 100 miles from asphalt but again, not ever before having to look for a "gas" station which carries diesel (ULSD) this was new to me. I realize as well that with Federal mandates for distribiution of ULSD there is a wider distribution network than what I originally realized. I just gave the diesel consideration the other day and it was the first time I drove a diesel since I had the (mis)fortune of crusin' a Rabbit diesel 20 (?) or 25 years ago. The new Jetta was somewhat of an improvement I noticed.

I guess I'll find the stations I need but again, as I originally stated, having a lst of specific locations would ease my mind in my business travels--I don't have the luxury of looking for stations at 5 AM nor 6 PM when i am typically on the road.

By the by---thanks for the responses, appreciated!

Karl
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:23   #7
eats1963
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg. 51 mpg

try going to www.gaspricewatch.com You can choose which state you are in and what type of fuel you are looking for.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:30   #8
Sip'n Diesel
Veteran Newbie

Fuel Economy: 900 miles on 16.9 gallons - Personal Endurance Record

look for these on the pump:

if local availability really is a problem, buy a used TDI (not an '09.) many pros and cons to doing that, however. I suspect availability isn't an issue in your area. it seems proper labeling isn't something gas stations take seriously, even though it's the law
2003 Jetta GL - 5 Speed Manual - Alaska Green - Dieselgeek Panzer Plate & Full Metal Jacket - DGRP - ScanGaugeII - WeatherTech Deflectors - Vent Delete - DRL Delete - Muffler Delete - KONI STR.T - Redneck Armrest - 5 Brake Lights - Otherwise all stock, for now
Sip'n Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:08   #9
karlthev
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Continued thanks, most appreciated!! This place is a regular library of info on just what I need!

Karl
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:18   #10
TopherDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~47mpg

Not sure where you are at but I live in NEPA too. There are some stations, the one next to Schocks on Route 33 carries it and the price is pretty good, only thing is that it is Sunoco fuel which is rated a little low for cetane. Other than that I roll route 80 everyday through NJ, and there are plenty of stations. I use the shell station off of exit 25 (close to the Shoprite with an awesome liquor store and great beers) to get the lower price.

Also when I got my first TDI about a month ago i had the same apprehension, have realized when rolling on the highway the station sign indicate if the station has diesel, and more importantly with a 600 mile plus range you wont need to know where too many of these are!
TopherDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 14:37   #11
Keith_J
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38 MPG @ 80 MPH with 2 bikes on top. 52 MPG @ 60 MPH slick

The ULSD mandate in 2006 did not require 100% to be ULSD. But since most fuel is transported via pipeline to the local terminals and most terminals did NOT construct additional tankage for ULSD, there are terminals which did not convert. These are generally in areas where there are high demands for #2 fuel oil or like above, expempted equipment demands (marine, off-road, power generation).
Keith_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 20:48   #12
PalosParked
Veteran Member

I live in the Chicago area. There's plenty of ULSD diesel stations here. Most of the pumps are labeled with the ULSD label somewhere near or on the pump.

The bigger issue here is that many here sell only B20 which is a no-no for our '09 TDI's. I think Illinois has a road/sales tax break for anything over B10(?)

If ithe pump is not labeled and you have to ask, the station attendants don't know anything more than just "it's diesel".

I thought that my (individual) problem was solved when I found a local BP station with a diesel pump clearly labeled ULSD "diesel #2". Today I asked if the diesel was winterized in some way. The manager responded that she didn't know anything about that...It's the same diesel as it's been since August. ...And she really meant it quite literally. That's the last time she ordered a delivery of it. Only turns a tank 3 to 4 times a year. What's the shelf life on diesel? Is it time to buy some powerservice white bottle?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 21:00   #13
velociT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30ish MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalosParked
Is it time to buy some powerservice white bottle?
Uhh. Yes.

That's nuts. The fuel station I fill up at gets two tankers a week.
TDT for PD and now the Deuce Mafia Member #002

Then: 06 TDI 5M *sold*
Now: Ram 1500 ECSB, Subaru Impreza Estate | Both: CAI/Cat-back/Rotella T6
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:28   #14
TopherDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~47mpg

Appears that PA will now be requiring that Biodiesel be sold within a year, i guess mostly B2, which is great news AFAIC because that will solve the lubricity issue. Now if the cetane would get regulated.
TopherDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:31   #15
karlthev
Veteran Member

"The bigger issue here is that many here sell only B20 which is a no-no for our '09 TDI's. I think Illinois has a road/sales tax break for anything over B10(?)"

I told you I was new to this---no B20? Lubricity issues/problems? The begining of what I don't know I see.....

Karl