www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 5th, 2009, 20:03   #1
KubotaPowered
Veteran Member

Default Broken EGR pipes

I'm a n00b to this forum but have been building VWs forever it seems, turbo VR6's, 1.8ts, TDI's etc but I have yet to come across a problem like this. For some reason I keep breaking EGR tubes, I am on the 3rd one now and its been installed for less than 2 months and it already looks like this.

2004 TDIPD100, any one have any ideas? This is a very expensive eating habit as its costing about 100 bucks each time. The first time it was replaced by the dealer and each time there after has been by me. The pipe connects the exhaust manifold to the EGR cooler. Never raced or beat on but it does go on spirited drives on occasion.
Pics for clicks

EDIT: I found this thread that may explain it but I still am not at ease...http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=official+egr

Last edited by KubotaPowered; January 5th, 2009 at 20:09.
KubotaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:08   #2
ninedee_golf_tdi

Are you sure the egr cooler is bolted securely to the intake manifold ? Those pipes usually break due to vibration. I've never taken a pd apart yet, but they might be similar to the alh configuration.
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:19   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

This is not uncommon, but it seems like maybe the EGR changeover regulating flap thingy may not be mounted securely and/or aligned properly. There is some 'fudge' factor on the mounting of the EGR cooler, and the regulating flap housing bolts directly to the EGR cooler. So if something was not aligned properly (as in after the EGR cooler recall was done maybe?) it could be causing some stress on that pipe.
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:49   #4
KubotaPowered
Veteran Member

I haven't dug that far into it yet. I am going to try and contact the dealer who did the recall and see if they want to step up and fix it, but I won't hold my breath...
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:31   #5
PDJetta
Veteran Member

My understanding, after reading the EGR cooler replacement TSB for the 2004/2005 model year PDs, is that if the EGR cooler was replaced, due to a leaking original cooler, the new "improved" cooler is slightly different. There is a "kit" the dealer is supposed to use that contins the new cooler and one new EGR pipe (and the gaskets and fasteners). When performing the EGR cooler replacement TSB, the new EGR pipe and one of the old EGR pipes are used. So evidently, the included new EGR pipe, although looks similar, is molded slightly different to fit the new cooler.

Here is the actual M6 Campaign procedure the dealer is to follow:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/m6_campain.pdf

See Page 6 for the list of parts (with part numbers).

Perhaps you are installing a new "original" EGR pipe on the new-style cooler, and you need the "revised" EGR pipe.

The dealer should be able to run the VIN and tell you if the EGR cooler recall was done. If so, replace the broken pipe with the modified EGR pipe.

The other possibility is that some of the cooler fasteners were left off, causing vibration.

Also note that the M6 Campaign instructions spell out a VERY specific order for installing and tightening the fasteners and how to locate the cooler mounting. There are PLENTY of places for the dealer to screw up here. Follow the procedure EXACTLY!

Broken EGR pipes are a COMMON problem after EGR cooler replacement on the BEW engine.

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; January 6th, 2009 at 09:57.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 19:20   #6
KubotaPowered
Veteran Member

I will have to look at which pipe was ordered, I can say that when I replaced it this last time, I followed those directions exactly and whats strange is that it say that the cooler is supposed to move about the bolts.
Old January 6th, 2009, 22:45   #7
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

My 2005 Golf PD, did the same thing. I just blocked it off and called it good!
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:09   #8
KubotaPowered
Veteran Member

Don't you get a CEL? I have the Rocketchip tuning and was under the O2 sensor had to see the exhaust gases
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:02   #9
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubotaPowered
Don't you get a CEL? I have the Rocketchip tuning and was under the O2 sensor had to see the exhaust gases
Yes I get a CEL because I have stock tuning. ECU senses "lack of flow". Rocketchip and pretty much any other chip tuner can remove this CEL for you permanently.
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 14:57   #10
KubotaPowered
Veteran Member

Ill have to get with Jeff and see what he says, I know the duty cycle was turned down but probably not off totally
Old January 12th, 2009, 13:25   #11
dejettatdi

Fuel Economy: 2004 PD - 52 hwy, 45-47 mixed, worst-40 beating the crap out of it, which I do all the time. 2010 JSW DSG - wifes car, who cares

yeah, this crap is still going on. I just replaced my bottom egr pipe yesterday and noticed the bracket that attaches to the intake manimold is missing. You know the technician didn't put it on when the M6 campaign recall service was done. Apparently, the vibration caused the pipe to crack. Yup, another $116 for the pipe and two gaskets/no discount by dealer, and my "free" labor. Spoke with my dealer service manager and he wants to see the car Wednesday and see if the braket is missing. What if anything he will do is a guess. I suspect nothing. They "never have any problems with complaints following the M6 recall. I'm gonna stay positive!
dejettatdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:39   #12
PDJetta
Veteran Member

He ought to repair the car CORRECTLY for free and give you a loaner while the work is being done!

--Nate
Old January 13th, 2009, 22:29   #13
KubotaPowered
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejettatdi
yeah, this crap is still going on. I just replaced my bottom egr pipe yesterday and noticed the bracket that attaches to the intake manimold is missing. You know the technician didn't put it on when the M6 campaign recall service was done. Apparently, the vibration caused the pipe to crack. Yup, another $116 for the pipe and two gaskets/no discount by dealer, and my "free" labor. Spoke with my dealer service manager and he wants to see the car Wednesday and see if the braket is missing. What if anything he will do is a guess. I suspect nothing. They "never have any problems with complaints following the M6 recall. I'm gonna stay positive!
You don't, by chance, have a picture or diagram that shows the mounting points?
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:25   #14
SammyL

TDI(s): none

I am having the same problem, 3 pipes now!
SammyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:46   #15
KubotaPowered
Veteran Member

I don't get it at all, is it that hard to fix??