www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 14:50   #1
jhogan

Location: near youngstown, oh-- halfway between cleveland and pittsburgh
Unhappy code P0811 -- clutch slippage excessive (03 jetta automatic) -- what are my options?

What else can go wrong with my wonderful 03 jetta tdi wagon (198,000 miles)? ((just replaced water pump, TB, brakes, tires, thermostat, cooling fan regulator))

It appears my automatic transmission is on it's way out.

I've been noticing what feels like "slippage" especially going up hills at lower speeds and on on-ramps.

Now my CEL is on and the code is P0811 (clutch slippage excessive).

I found 3 other posts on this topic, but no definite resolutions to the problem.

1) if i drive it till it literally dies on the side of the road, can i hurt anything besides the dying transmission?

2) anything i can do to slow transmission death or is it too late? any idea how much longer till it'll completely die on me?

3) what should i replace transmission with? I've seen some posts about converting to manual. Not ideal for me, but I'd do it if there was a huge cost difference.
jhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 15:01   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

200K? You did good! Better than average!

All I can say is check the ATF level (it is probably fine) and then get your money out.

Oh, and you can read here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=189029

And of course, Freddie says hi:

Old January 3rd, 2009, 15:02   #3
2004STARWARSTDI
Veteran Member

Default Auto

Try changing transmission fluid & filter.
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
Engine CEL Code Lookup. Turbo Hose To Egr Fix - TDIClub Forums
2004STARWARSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 16:24   #4
jhogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004STARWARSTDI
Try changing transmission fluid & filter.
do you think it's too late for that? i don't want to waste more time/money if i'm going to have to convert to a manual or something real soon.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 16:29   #5
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

Red face won't do a thing...

i'm sorry, but changing the fluid won't do squat
88 scirocco
AHU 2056vl build... delayed...05 jetta tdi & 06 golf tdi
burpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 17:34   #6
jhogan

found this, so i might try to change the fluid and see what happens

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?...how&id=3398082
Old January 3rd, 2009, 17:39   #7
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhogan
do you think it's too late for that? i don't want to waste more time/money if i'm going to have to convert to a manual or something real soon.
Total cost $150

New tranny from dealer $5200

you choice
Old January 4th, 2009, 15:38   #8
jhogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP
Total cost $150

New tranny from dealer $5200

you choice
yeah, good point. i'll try the fluid change and see what happens. i think i'd convert to manual transmission if/when i need a new tranny, or i might junk the thing. car's definitely not worth putting $5,000 into it. i'd rather start from scratch.
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:08   #9
oilhammer

Geez, what on earth did you do to a baby like a 2003 Jetta that you feel it is not worth putting a transmission in????
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:39   #10
02DslPwr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg 38-40mpg

My auto is going out too. Reverse is totally gone. I had fluid and filter and since a 5 speed conversion wouldnt ever use this filter and fluid, I figured I'd try it. Well, it didnt really do anything that I noticed. It goes forward a bit smoother, but it still doesnt go backwards.

I've been speaking with Ben, aka Alphasenior, who luckily for me is in Dallas, and my bill is going to be about $5K. But that gets me Stage IV clutch, Peloquin LSD, VR6 axels, and a DG shifter (tranny etc too of course). Or, I can spend the same and get another crappy 01M.

The conversion can be done for about $3500, but the clutch and LSD put me over 5K.

Ben said the conversion takes a very full day, ~16 hours.

Just letting you know that it can be done for less than 5K.

Oh, and I got 147,000 miles out of my 01M.
His: 2002 Jetta Wagon GLS, 194k, PP357, VNT17VB, KERMA tune, IDParts OMI/Up'r/Low'r pipes, 01M-ectomy by Dr Alphaseinor, APTuning Race Gear Set, .658 5th, Peloquin, KONI FSD, Shine Springs & Bar, BFI Stage I all'round, TT CA/Subframe Bushings
Hers: 2007 New Beetle, 94k, Package 2, Shadow Blue w/grey leather

Last edited by 02DslPwr; January 5th, 2009 at 07:41.
02DslPwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:07   #11
Tee Dee Eye
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 750 miles/tank

+1 a slipping 01m auto is a terminal condition, My experience was fluid, filter and line pressure mod got my a couple 1000k until symptoms returned and transmission required a transplant from a doner 5 speed. Fluid, filter and a tweak on the line pressure might buy you a little time toget parts together for a swap or another paycheck in the bank to help offset the cost to replace the auto..

All parts in with used manual transmission, new clutch and flywheel and the swap is less than half the price of a remanufactured auto tranny. Cost me about $1950 taxes and fluid changes, rear main engine seal included. About a 3 day weekend job first time round including ods and ends like cleaning the intake, fixing exhaust leak, Think I could do it in a weekend if had all the parts together and did not mess with other issues, I'd bet some of the gurues here could get it done in a long day.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=kill+the+auto

Last edited by Tee Dee Eye; January 5th, 2009 at 09:14.
Tee Dee Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 14:27   #12
jhogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer
Geez, what on earth did you do to a baby like a 2003 Jetta that you feel it is not worth putting a transmission in????
doesn't make sense to me to put another $5,000 into a car that's paid off w/200,000 miles on it. that's 1/4 the price of a realtively new one.

I talked to bob scofield in warren, oh, today, who i was referred to by someone on this forum. He basically said I'm playing Russian roulette if i mess around with my transmission fluid now that the car has so many miles and the fluid's never been changed. He said he can change the fluid and we can see what happens, but it could dislodge "gunk" and mess up the tranny even more. It'll be close to $300 to service it if i want to try. He said he's never flushed a tranny for the first time with so many miles or when the tranny is already producing symptoms of failure, so he said it's up to me if i want to try my luck with the flush. any suggestions?

I also chatted briefly with him about swapping out the automatic for a manual, and he more or less ruled that out. i'm surprised he doesn't do that if he's been working on VWs for so long, but it looks like i'll have to look to a guru on here if i want to swap to a manual tranny.

at least i know that following VW's suggested maintenance is useless. they want you to have to replace the tranny ever hundred thousand miles.
Old January 5th, 2009, 15:12   #13
oilhammer

Hmmm....I put new 01Ms in those all the time. $4700 is sure cheaper than a new car (last I checked). If the car is otherwise in good shape, and you said it is paid for (the best kind of car, IMHO), then I do not see why not...but 200k miles is hardly used up in my book. Heck, mine is over TWICE that
Old January 5th, 2009, 15:43   #14
jhogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer
Hmmm....I put new 01Ms in those all the time. $4700 is sure cheaper than a new car (last I checked). If the car is otherwise in good shape, and you said it is paid for (the best kind of car, IMHO), then I do not see why not...but 200k miles is hardly used up in my book. Heck, mine is over TWICE that
i just did the TB/water pump again and new brakes, so i haven't ruled out replacing the tranny. just seems kinda crazy how expensive it is.

do the new 01Ms fail like the tranny I have now? (if i replace it now, will i likely be replacing it again once i hit 300,000 or 350,000 miles)? i guess at least now i know of a reputable VW mechanic and I know to change the ATF.

Do you have an opinion about changing the ATF now? think it'll mess the tranny up even more?

what will happen when the tranny dies? will it just get stuck in a gear and leave me stranded in a parking lot or on the side of the road. ideally i'd like to get another 6 months out of this tranny, but i'm betting that won't happen.
Old January 5th, 2009, 15:53   #15
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Don't waste your time and money changing the fluid and filter. It isn't going to make the situation any better, and it certainly isn't going to make the transmission last long enough to justify the cost of the fluid and filter change.

I'd look around for a 5-speed conversion for it if the rest of the car is in good shape. 200,000 miles is not that much, especially considering that you just did the timing belt, water pump, and brakes.

Rough times... do what makes economic sense (stay with the car that's paid for).
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote