www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 14:07   #1
volkswagendude
Veteran Member

Default Who Here Has Written To VW About The BS Issue?

Just as the title sais.

I sent an email to VW regarding this upcoming issue two days ago, even though they are closed for the holidays, and by upcoming I meant as more and more of these cars will be heading into the 6 digit figures. I have no problem with my car yet BTW, but seemingly that I probably will at some point, I asked VW to hear some feedback on this up and coming $$$$ non scheduled maintenance repair, that will eventually affect ALL the 2004-2005 Passat TDI's. Something that they quietly new about, as seeing that the new BS parts have been revised with the gear instead of the chain, and also the redesign of the 2009 TDI's.

I believe that it's in every single forum members best interests, to take 10 minutes of their time, and send VW an email about this. As a "collective"(something that is truly lacking in North American society these days), to let them know, that as a customer we are here, perceptive and awake. Regardless of the fact if they don't do anything about it, this is NOT for one to decide. At least one will have done his/her part, and be done with it. To dwell, talk, and even try to convince someone that taking 10 minutes to send an email to VW about this issue is a waste of time, is obviously very very fruitless.

Perhaps many of you have already done this, but I get the impression that only a one digit %, of all the B5.5 members here have done so.
volkswagendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 17:07   #2
vw4life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 7.4 L/100km 75% city (~32 MPG US)

Please post the e-mail address and I will do my part. If a forum member out there has a particular skill at letter writing, I'd prefer to send a well worded and thought out letter and insert my particulars.

Not trying to get others to do my work, but trying to make a bigger impact acknowledging my poor skills in this regard. If you have a well worded letter ready to go, please post it along with the e-mail addresses and we can start the flood...
\\\ David /// 2005 B5.5V TDI Stonehenge Grey - Manual Headlamp Leveling - Aspherical Mirrors - Ventectomy trouble? - Fuel Economy - Euro trailer hitch: towing, install, safety chains, towing, wiring, euro bike rack! +Factory de-tooef's, Airlift
vw4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 19:41   #3
JungleDeath
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Pretty Damn Good

Yes, I would like some help with an effective letter and I would like to include the loss of power that comes from the failure:

causing the dramatic loss in power.....thus the complaint filed with the NHTSA...here is the case #...

and the 09 oem cars don't use a chain... gear parts and balance shaft module...retro fit...

what else.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 19:44   #4
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

I pulled the company adress off thier web site and wrote the CEO
Old January 2nd, 2009, 20:14   #5
Smokerr
Veteran Member

The thing did not edit.

Attn: Mr Jacoby 2200 Ferdinand Porsche Dr.
Herndon, VA 20171
Old January 2nd, 2009, 20:56   #6
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Use words such as:

Failure of engine components can lead to catastrophic engine failure with loss of oil pressure, broken oil pan, broken front engine seal flange, and damaged crankshaft. This can result in damage to the extent that the engine must be replaced. If this occurs while the vehicle is in traffic, it can lead to a collision with injuries or deaths.
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 21:22   #7
navyboy65
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Seems to be 46-47 AVG

Can someone tell me what the BS Issue is???
navyboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 21:37   #8
abctdi
Veteran Member

I believe if you don't have a Passat 2.0 TDI, like your profile indicates, navyboy, you need not worry. Feel free to search this subforum for details.
For those who do, I suggested a petition a while back. Is this more effective than individual emails?
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:23   #9
Skidor

I'm writing up a letter right now. I think the emails, ongoing tabulation of failures by members of this forum and a petition will keep this issue more at the forefront of VW's attention.
Skidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:48   #10
navyboy65
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Seems to be 46-47 AVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by abctdi
I believe if you don't have a Passat 2.0 TDI, like your profile indicates, navyboy, you need not worry. Feel free to search this subforum for details.
For those who do, I suggested a petition a while back. Is this more effective than individual emails?
True I don't own a Passat, just like to know whats going on. I did look it up and another club member sent me a nice pm explaning it all to me. I wish you all good luck with your balance shaft issue. There is a similar problem in 97-07 Kawasaki KLR650's, bad balance shaft tensioner and I tried contacting Kawasaki and I think the NTSB, nothing came about it but I think it's because not enough owners made a big stink about it. And our fix was about $100-120 including parts and tools if you did it yourself, not the thousands your fix sound like it would cost.

Sorry for rambeling on, but hound VW and everyone file a complaint/safety issue with the right government office and tell vw your going to or did!!! Maybe that'll make them take it more seriously?
navyboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 13:03   #11
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Again, include your representavives in this. I use only one, but multiple fine as well, as long as you include all of them in on it so they know what the other is doing.

In our case we have a single effective Seantors (one convicted one not yet sworn in) so I wrote just here.

Representative wise, I have no faith in the single one Alaska is allotted (we need more people to get more) so the whole State is his district. Most places have more than one and you would write the one in your district.

In our case, ours mad the statement is that he only represents the people that voted for him. That makes him a pure jerk in my opinion and I will not bother.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 13:16   #12
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokerr
In our case, ours mad the statement is that he only represents the people that voted for him. That makes him a pure jerk in my opinion and I will not bother.
So, how does he know who voted for him?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 13:24   #13
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I have called VW customer care on various occasions, on behalf of myself as well as some customers.

I have also written VOA.

I think we need someone who can start a formal petition and get everyone to sign it. I do not know how to go about that, however. I just know how to fix the cars...the people stuff is out of my league .
Old January 3rd, 2009, 18:56   #14
abctdi
Veteran Member

I too am guilty of 'people stuff' issues, but am trying to fix that before I expire. I often come off the wrong way even though I don't mean it that way (navyboy).
I wonder where we can find examples of successful petitions and drives and use that as our basis?
I just got the new issue of DasAuto, which showcases Stefan Jacoby, the prez and CEO of VOA, the target of our petition.
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 19:57   #15
sschnath
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Passat

This site appears to make it very easy to start and get signatures on a petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/

Does anyone know what the affected number of cars in the U.S. is? What about the number of affected owners on this forum?

Before we go through the effort of starting a petition, if there are only a few thousand cars and we only collect a couple of hundred signatures, I don't think that's going to have much of an impact. If it's an order of magnitude above that, well that's a different story.

Should we start a petition, I'd want to make sure a link to the petition is not only posted here but on other relevant forums. Also, sending it out to the automotive press wouldn't hurt either.

We should also let VW know exactly who in the automotive press we're sending the link to. That might put some pressure on them immediately without waiting for all the signatures to be collected.

I think we should also remind them that as much as we all seem to like our TDI's, loyalty isn't a one way street and pretty soon, VW is not going to be the only diesel game in town.
sschnath is offline   Reply With Quote