Trunk Latch not latching fixed... for free at home

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
I know this has been a problem before and just searched and couldn't find any posts about a fix for the existing latch, just a post on how to replace the old latch. Well, I have successfully fixed my old latch so it works great now and found what is causing the problem in these latches when it gets cold.

To start, you will need to strip the trunk down like you were replacing the latch (you can find a how-to using seach, but I will give a brief outline).

1) Undo the 4 screws that are holding the trunk liner on
2) use a flat head screw driver and pop off the latch cover
3) now you need to work all the trunk liner clips out. I found a long flat head screw driver was the best, so you could put the pressure right on the clips when prying against them, and not the liner.

Ok, now you have the trunk liner hanging by the emergency release cable. To remove the cables, you first need to remove a plastic cover that is on the latch. It just clips on there and serves no purpose that I can see. (I actually forgot to put mine on, and it works just fine, but I figured the next time I feel a strong urge to pull the trunk liner I could put it back on).

These cables just slide into place, so you just have to take off the cables from the latch asselmbly and the trunk liner will be free. Be careful none of the little metal liner clips slide out of the black slotted things while you are working.

Remove the electrical plug.

Now using a 10mm deep well socket, remove the latch assembly from the trunk lid (just 2 nuts holding it on).

Now that you have the latch out, you will see 4 or 5 little snaps around the electic motor housing. You just need to push in on each of these with a screw driver and they will push the housing pieces apart on their own (you will see what I mean when you have the latch in your hand). Once the housing started apart, it will take some slow prying to get everything loose, but just keep working around the housing. The plastic is pretty soft, so be careful.

Once you get the housing apart, you will see a white gear on a screw plunger thing. Pull those out and clean the threads on the screw plunger. The problem is the old grease that is on there is way too thick and it doesn't allow the assembly to return once the latch has opened. Once it is clean, spray on some lithium grease on those threads, the gear, and anywhere that little plunger makes contact with plastic. Also, I put some on the end of the plunger and on the little lever that unlatches the latch. Just be careful of the sensor. I don't think it will hurt it, but I wouldn't coat it in grease either.

Now just go in reverse and put it back together. You can test it first by operating the latch with your fingers and just plugging it in.

I don't have any pictures as I didn't have the camera with me and this was a spur of the moment thing (my trunk would not completely latch at all, even after opening it with the key and fiddling with it for 10 minutes. If someone does this and wants to take pictures, feel free to put them on here.

Hurst

smcnair

TDI
2006 A5 sedan
Thanks for the write up, this solved my trunk latch problem. Here are some pictures to go with the writeup. The last picture shows the plunger/shaft to cleanup. Mine had white plastic smeared on it that had to be (carefully) removed. It didn't have any grease on it.

Edit (a year later): Cleaning only lasted for a short time and I had to redo this. The spring mod listed below has lasted since.

Last edited:

motoshrink

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI (sold)
HOORAY! Me too.

AWESOME to hop onto TDIClub planning to post a question to get ideas about this problem and see this post on the first page. Thanks so much for putting this up, I am going to do mine too. How cool and amazing is it that we can end up with all these insights and people in one spot?!

Viva la TDIClub!
Sincerely,
-Dave

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Thanks a million, I just fixed my dad's problematic trunk latch tonight!! I have to say... cold could not be the problem in his case... he and the car live in Florida and rarely leave the state!

Oh, and cleaning/lubrication didn't help... tried that first. So, I pinched one end of the spring to make it effectively stronger.. a trick I read on vortex...

I know that getting a longer spring would be the better solution, but until I actually find one this seems is working just fine.

Last edited:

motoshrink

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI (sold)
Can you please elaborate on spring?

Can you please elaborate re spring pinch to make stronger? Thanks!!

manual_tranny

TDI
Sure thing!

Have a look a the pictures in post #3... the black plastic stick-thingy with a gear on it needs to have a stronger or longer spring. The problem is that the threads on the stick-thingy tend to get stuck because the spring gets tired... also the threads are at an angle that just barely works! They should be cut with a steeper angle. (less like a screw, more like a helix...)

So, looking at the second picture for reference...

Take the white gear off the plastic screw/stick-thingy; remove the spring. Take a pliers and squish the spring on one end before putting it back on. You do this so that the end of the spring rests on the tapered part of the plastic screw. This 'fixes' the problem.

Now, if you've got an engineering-type mind, you might already have noticed that attaching a spring to a taper is not ideal. It will probably open up the spring over time.

Maybe, maybe not... all I know is that it was a free and immediate fix. I didn't have time to go looking for a similar (but slightly longer) spring... that would have been ideal.

Donald Holder

TDI
Driver door (same problem)

my drivers door latch on my 2005.5 jetta has the same issue. sometimes in the cold it wont latch unitl I slam it again and again. Also when cold, and I unlock the car with the FOB, it doest know when the door is opened.
Any ideas??

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 96, wagon 295K + (sold), Jetta, 05.5 (Sold)
I cleaned / lubed the trunk latch as described and so far .... it works great!!

Thanks for the post :)

Kurt

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I had to do the same fix as manual_tranny, by crimping the spring. The stock spring just didn't have enough oomph. A spring a little longer than stock (about 3mm) and with the same spring rate seems like it would be perfect. The crimped spring that doesn't slide up on the tapered piece is a little strong and makes a loud click as the plunger moves back to it's home position.

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I tried this "fix" tonight including the spring mod. Fingers crossed.

manual_tranny

TDI
It just occurred to me that after compressing the end of the spring you could weld or epoxy it into the smaller diameter so that the modification was permanent. I wish I had thought about that earlier when I had it apart!

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
I hate to burst a bubble this big.
I have been fighting this dragon since the Fall of '05.

A fresh can of WD-40 used in September/October will keep things working just fine. (Spray the snot out of the Latching Mechanism)

I have been there and done this... it works just fine.
;)

manual_tranny

TDI
My 'bubble' is pretty well intact. WD-40 is NOT a sufficient solution for everybody. The spring modification has proven to be extremely reliable so far- and it only makes sense to use a lubricant that stays put longer than WD-40. Lithium grease or something similar won't need to be replaced every year.

A fresh can of WD-40 used in September/October will keep things working just fine. (Spray the snot out of the Latching Mechanism)

;)

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta

;)
WD did not work for me. So far so good with the above mentioned process.

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
for what it's worth, when the trunk latch gets stuck closed in the winter on ours, opening it with the key manually always works.

manual_tranny

TDI
for what it's worth, when the trunk latch gets stuck closed in the winter on ours, opening it with the key manually always works.
Seems like a lot of people are misunderstanding the problems being discussed here...

Nothing is more inconvenient than being stuck with a trunk that won't shut. Your car is an obvious target for theft and instantly becomes un-water proof, unlocked. The spring mod fixes mkv trunks that won't latch. This can be a frustrating intermittent problem. Next time I get a mkv open I'll post spring dimensions and order about 200 custom length ' fixed' springs.

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
Seems like a lot of people are misunderstanding the problems being discussed here...
Not really - I was talking about how mine gets stuck closed. Perhaps someone with it stuck open could extrapolate from that and give it a try. I have no idea if it would work.

manual_tranny

TDI
I give up.
When a fellow 2005.5 owner blames the Spring, instead of going with a can of WD-40, I just don't know what to say...

:rolleyes:
I tried lubricant alone first, it simply didn't work at all for me. There's no reason we all can't be having different problems with different solutions.

I can't imagine opening the thing up only to lube it a little and say 'oh good, I won't have to take my trunk apart for a whole year'. That's not much time.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
ok. I'm confused here. I was looking up trunk release to inquire about my current trunk problem.

My trunk release keeps triggering over and over again. I can hear it making the noises it makes when it releases the trunk lid. So I drive around sometimes with it doing the releasing repetitively and my "open door" light is lit all the time on the dash.

Bad switch? Bad connection? Is there a short somewhere? For the time being I'm thinking of just pulling the fuse but I don't know if anything else is on the circuit.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I had a difficult to close trunk too. WD-40 two months ago and not a problem since.

Deansel

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta w/DSG, pkg1, Blue Graphite
Our trunk latch sometimes won't hold the trunk closed when it's cold out after it has been opened. We have had it open randomly several times while driving in town. It also latches sometimes but the "Trunk Open" light stays illuminated and - of course - the electric release does not work when that happens. I sprayed some WD-40 into the mechanism to see if that works, if not, I will try the other suggestions but, thanks for sharing your findings all.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI

manual_tranny

TDI

;)

What's up with the post copy? You just posted this 2/2/11 in this thread?

BLITDI

TDI
2005.5 Jetta V Manual
05.5 have had trouble latching when cold for several winters. Good soak with WD40 at first trouble this winter, and perfect ever since.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I tried lubricant alone first, it simply didn't work at all for me. There's no reason we all can't be having different problems with different solutions.

I can't imagine opening the thing up only to lube it a little and say 'oh good, I won't have to take my trunk apart for a whole year'. That's not much time.
Exactly. 99% of the time lube does not work. You have to disassemble and clean the mechanism.