www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old December 26th, 2008, 09:29   #1
jjordan11
Veteran Member

Default 1988 audi 80 quattro to pd130

I am converting an old audi 80 quattro to a pd130 that I bought from Scott Dewitt. We took out the 5 cyl. and put in the 130, it fit nicely. The right motor mount bracket looks like it will fit ok, but I need to make a left motor mount bracket. I'll have to make some chassis mount brackets too and I think that I am going to use the stock passat motor mounts (dampeners).

I'll post some pictures when I get the chance.
the donor vehicle:

[IMG][/url][/IMG]

The engine:
[IMG][/url][/IMG]

The union:
[IMG][/url][/IMG]

Last edited by jjordan11; December 26th, 2008 at 11:05.
jjordan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 16:44   #2
tomiisp

good luck with that engine mounts (mainly if you want use original Passat dampers, they are different than Audi used - height & mount type) and dont forget install also front damper, its very important for this engines
My toy A100 '86 with 1.9TDi PD 160Hp (last update 11/June/2010)
tomiisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 19:57   #3
TurbinePower
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

That must have one of the dual bolt pattern transmissions, correct?```
Small stable of VWs (projects)...
'80 Dasher Diesel, full restoration in the slow burner works
'82 Quantum "Coupe" 1.6 CIS gas power, daily driver
'89 Fox wagon (Korva!), the new back porch project. Suspension and interior work in progress!
TurbinePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:24   #4
Spulen81
Veteran Member

Awesome, looking forward to this one. Are you doing anything with the gearing?
-2011 Golf TDI
Spulen81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:40   #5
jjordan11
Veteran Member

yep the mounts are a little tricky, I am in the process of making some brackets on the chassis side to put the passat mounts at the same angle that they are in a b5 chassis. and I will make a front mount for the snub mount. I wouldn't mind seeing your mounts though just to set a better idea.

It was nice for the transmission, I wasn't absolutely sure that it was going to bolt up, but when the 5 cyl. came out I had a mocked up the spacer plate that goes between the engine and flywheel and the bolt holes were there for all the bolts.

I'll try to keep the thread updated with pictures. No new progress, I am limited to saturdays to work on it.

As for the gearing, for now I won't worry about it, but in the future I will probably put a 01E transmission in it from a european tdi.

Last edited by jjordan11; December 30th, 2008 at 11:51.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:06   #6
Scott_DeWitt

That is awesome. I might have B3 4 cylinder cast mounts I'll dig through my pile.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:49   #7
tomiisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan11
yep the mounts are a little tricky, I am in the process of making some brackets on the chassis side to put the passat mounts at the same angle that they are in a b5 chassis. and I will make a front mount for the snub mount. I wouldn't mind seeing your mounts though just to set a better idea.
At this time I have used original AUDI hydro-mounts from previous old TD engine but also for this I must cut off old mounts holders on chassis and made new one holders (another position and angle).
Right side(turbo)/Left side

Now I have here hydro-mounts from B5 prepared to install but they need small adapter (Passat B5 mounts are about 4cm higher than original AUDI) to move it little down but there is another problem with sub-frame, if I move mounts lower I get about 3-4mm distance from stabilizer mount on sub-frame..
I just want say, measure it 2 times, no, better 5 times before you made something

Here is custom front mount (also it hold water cooler-original from Passat B5 and intake pipe)

And for moded engine mounts I not have a photo yet, but I can made it tomorrow, just for preview if you want

Last edited by tomiisp; December 30th, 2008 at 12:59.
Old December 30th, 2008, 19:48   #8
jjordan11
Veteran Member

Scott, if you do have the mounts that would be sweet, I am also open to suggestions and input that anyone would like to contribute.

That engine you got from the A8 would have been a screamer in this car, but it would have needed the 01E for sure.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 13:18   #9
jjordan11
Veteran Member

Well I'm working on it. I am doing chassis stuff, like cv axles (outer boots torn and cv dry). My wife also bought me some lower control arm high density bushings from 034 motorsports. I'll post some progress picts.

control arms:

I put a new timing belt on, it is the same as the bew and brm engines, but the tensioner isn't like any that we have here in the States, I have everything to convert it to a brm style tensioner, but it lacks a threaded stud hole for the larger lower roller, so I'll keep it as is for now until I can get a hole machined and tapped.

Here are some more shots of the motor mounts, this is the left side shot. It actually lines up pretty nicely without too much modifying.

Here is the left side, it will be getting the mount made soon.

There is about an inch between the chassis mount and the oil cooler, it looks closer in the picture.

Last edited by jjordan11; January 3rd, 2009 at 13:51.
Old January 11th, 2009, 23:19   #10
jjordan11
Veteran Member

A friend helped me fab up some metal pieces yesterday, we got the right side finished, now time to move on to the left more difficult one. Here are some pictures.

another shot:
Old January 12th, 2009, 17:37   #11
tomiisp

very nice in this case you have lucky, you have there a plenty of space to made custom hodlers not like me, I fight with mm's and tolerance 1-2mm in position/dimension is edge between success/fail (on other side its funny paradox, A80 have more room around enigne than A100 )
Old January 12th, 2009, 17:44   #12
majesty78
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW Polo ASZ
Fuel Economy: 30mpg

Nice work!

Little suggestion: If you do the TB also change out the water pump!

Greets, Alex
Old January 12th, 2009, 19:27   #13
jjordan11
Veteran Member

It is funny that there is more room in the smaller A80 than the A100. I am debating cutting the body mount on the driver's side and fabricating a bracket for the origional mount due to the oil cooler's proximity to the mount. Not sure which route I will go yet, but I better decide soon. What turbo do you have in the A100?

I'll be sure to change that water pump, I didn't change it when the pictures were taken, but I have since got a new pump to put in.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:06   #14
tomiisp

other way than cutting out driver side mount and refrabricate new one I think not exist (I do that on both sides, when you look on my photos, there is same situation around oil cooler).
How you mean what turbo I have ? There is original (Garret GT1749V) but profi renewed What engine code you have ? I think AVF or AWX, not ?

Last edited by tomiisp; January 13th, 2009 at 06:10.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:48   #15
jjordan11
Veteran Member

from what I can tell from the slightly corroded stamp on the block it is awx. The t-belt cover was broken in shipping, so it wasn't with the engine.

it's good to know about the turbo, I was debating on getting a larger one, but I think that I will go with the gt1749v to start with and see how long I will be satisfied with it.