Because I had time to kill...Oil Filters Side by Side

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
I did a quick search and didn't really find much info on the oil filters for the MKIV ALH...and what the differences (if any) there are. I've never done an oil analysis, nor did I want to dig through the threads on that to see if people had done any analysis with all else (relatively) equal comparing the couple different filters offered.

I was just going through what supplies I had in the garage recently and checked out the 3 different filters I have - Mann, OEM, Mahle.

The Mann and OEM (as described elsewhere) are essentially identical.(though the plastic on the inside is cream - Mann, black - OEM.) Those 2 have ~6 pleats per inch...w/ 49(+1 if you count the 2 ends glued) pleats total at 8 1/4" circumferance.(yes, I counted to make sure ;)) The Mahle has an ever so slightly different looking inside...I'm sure functionally no different. BUT it has ~8 pleats per inch. 66(+1 if you count the 2 ends glued) pleats total at 8 1/8" circumferance.

For surface area...here's where it gets a little tricky... I picked a random pleat and slide a sheet of paper in and marked the depth.(then picked other random pleats to check consistancy). The Mahle has a depth of 17/32" and the OEW/Mann has an 18/32" depth. 1/32" does add up over time! (I'm counting the width of the folds separately as getting into x/64"s is splitting hairs...but the Mahle's folds are 1/32" and the OEM/Mann are 3/64"s as best as I can measure :p)

*By just counting the full pleats, here go the calculations*
(Each pleat has 2 faces...why there is a '2' in the calculation ;))
Mahle - 66x2x(17/32")= 70.125" (+2.063" from the folds if you want to get technical) Long.
Mann/OEM - 49x2x(18/32)= 55.125" (+2.297" from the folds, again........) Long.
And factor in the height - Mahle uses 6" while the OEM/Mann use (as best as I can determine due to glue variations top/bottom...check photos) 5 7/8".(Total height on all 3 - 6 1/8")

SO TOTAL SURFACE AREA:
Mahle - 70.125"x6"= 420.75" square (+12.378 - Folds...)
OEM/Mann - 55.125"x5.875"=323.86" square (+13.495 - Folds...)

Well...
~97"(or ~96" factoring in the folds) square difference is pretty significant, yes!?

But I have no clue about the filter media itself...other than what I see. The Mann/OEM appear to use a thicker media than the Mahle (if looking at the folds and their width means anything...) Remember, this is all just observation.

So to the photos. Discuss if you want. I doubt I'm on to something. I couldn't find this discussed through searching here; so excuse me if this is a dead horse. Cheers.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Good information. Thanks for these comparisons.

I wonder if there are any differences in micron filtration between them and what they are.

I only ask that because in checking around for oil filters for my generator, I found a couple different micron ratings between manufacturers.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Quoted from another thread:

"Most of our filters are 50% effective at 22-24 microns and use a cellulose/polyester fiber media. Absolute efficiency - 98-99% - will be larger - probably closer to 40 microns. Oil filter selection won't affect UOA. There are studies that show that UOA alone won't change regardless of which filter is used."

Going to the companies respective sites yielded basically no information as to what you're asking.

TDI
2004 golf
I wonder how the indian made pep boys filter compares, and i think autozone has one under the STP name.. possibly fram too. Oil filter comparos are pretty cool! Thanks.

BTW I still maintain that a regular full flow filter is not the most important thing and the difference between them are negligible. Except for frams, haha.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Revolutionary_mind said:
I wonder how the indian made pep boys filter compares, (snip)
__. Hey, Rev, get yourself a box of Kleenex and a take-away vindaloo...

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
If the micron handling is the same...fine. But look at the capacity of the Mahle over the Mann/OEM. (Mahle filter cost is actually less than the Mann/OEM if I saw correctly on Impex...as reference...matter of pennies really)

There is 96-97" square more filter media in the Mahle. Fairly significant percentage. A big deal is made out of the OEM air filter vs K&N for example(in addition to complaints about the oil...yada yada yada) and how much more filter element there is of the OEM...

With all else equal, what does the extra 96-97" square of media offer?

spWarden

TDI
Golf
paramedick said:
Is it? I traditionally pay $5 or less for the Mahle filters, purchased in lots of 10. I use a lot of them.
yup, I hear yah.
However I don't have to pay shipping or shell out $50+shipping up front for 100,000 miles of oil changes.
This would last me 5 years before I got the value of $50. I may have a different car in 5 years.
If I did 100k in 9 months it may be tempting.
I wonder what kind of deal I could get on 10 filters at the dealer.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Hard numbers from Mann at least.

Here is a cut an paste from a pdf that was sent to me from Mann & Hummel a few months ago for the ALH and BEW filter:

1. A Filter type (Mann+Hummel Part No.) HU 726/2 X
Main data
2. Nominal flow rate 46 l/min
3. Direction of flow out-in
4. Operating pressure - kPa
Dimensions & mechanical stability
5. A Shape of filter- cartridge
B Dimensions of the filter (diameter) 64 mm
C Dimensions of the filter (width) 153 mm
6. Thread -none
7. Hydraulic pulse durability test - pulse
Filter medium
8. Filtering area (minimum) 2323 cm3
9. Pleat number (minimum) 49
10. Pleat depth (minimum) 15.7 mm
11. Pleat width (minimum) 151 mm
12. Medium type 0MFN833
13. A Bubble point first (minimum), MFE-T/21 1.0 kPa
B Bubble point many (minimum), MFE-T/21 1.1 kPa
Filtration data
14. A Pressure difference of new Filter, ISO 4548-1 <0.0 kPa
B Test fluid viscosity 21
C Test fluid nominal flow rate 46.0 l/min
15. Overall particle retention efficiency, ISO 4548-12, dp 50% 16 micron
16. Overall particle retention efficiency, ISO 4548-12, dp 99% 38 microns
17. Filter life, ISO 4548-12 27 g

Here is the data for a BRM engine. Mann also specifies this filter for the new Common Rail engine:

1. A Filter type (Mann+Hummel Part No.) HU 719/7 X
Main data
2. Nominal flow rate 41 l/min
3. Direction of flow out-in
4. Operating pressure kPa
5. A Shape of filter cartridge
B Dimensions of the filter (diameter) 70.5 mm
C Dimensions of the filter (width) 95 mm
6. Thread-none
7. Hydraulic pulse durability test pulse
Filter medium
8. Filtering area (minimum) 2050
9. Pleat number (minimum) 77
10. Pleat depth (minimum) 16 mm
11. Pleat width (minimum) 85 mm
12. Medium type 5018
13. A Bubble point first (minimum), MFE-T/21 0.9 kpa
B Bubble point many (minimum), MFE-T/21 0.136 kPa
Filtration data
14 A Pressure difference of new Filter, ISO 4548-1 <10.0 kPa
C Test fluid nominal flow rate 41.0 l/min
15. Overall particle retention efficiency, ISO 4548-12 , dp50% 15
16. Overall particle retention efficiency, ISO 4548-12 , dp99% 38
17. Filter life, ISO 4548-12 26 g

You can see that getting the same kind of info from Mahle would be necessary to draw any conclusions. The BRM filter is smaller but it has very good performance in relation to the the ALH/BEW filter.

Here is the data for the Mann fleece filter specified for Mercedes gasoline engines with the flexible service system:

1. A Filter type (Mann+Hummel Part No.) HU 718/5x
Main data
2. Nominal flow rate 43 l/min
3. Direction of flow out - in
4. Operating pressure kPa
5. A Shape of filter
B Dimensions of the filter (diameter) 63.5 mm
C Dimensions of the filter (width) 115 mm
6. Thread-none
7. Hydraulic pulse durability test pulse
Filter medium
8. Filtering area (minimum) 1700
9. Pleat number (minimum) 48
10. Pleat depth (minimum) 15.8 mm
11. Pleat width (minimum) 113.5 mm
12. Medium type 6035
13. A Bubble point first (minimum), MFE-T/21 0.9 kpa
B Bubble point many (minimum), MFE-T/21 1.4 kPa
Filtration data
14. A Pressure difference of new Filter, ISO 4548-1 < 5.0 kPa
C Test fluid nominal flow rate 43.0 l/min
15. Overall particle retention efficiency, ISO 4548-12 , dp50% 16
16. Overall particle retention efficiency, ISO 4548-12 , dp99% 39
17. Filter life, ISO 4548-12 25 g

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
Do the same investigation for the $4 Wal-Mart Fram filter or the Advance Auto $4 Purolator filter and see how sick you get. When you read the fine print for these filters, (found only on the net) you learn that they are really not filtering much for very long.

schumacher62

TDI
2003 wagon, 2009 sedan
i just bought a purolator L45308 today, going to give it a try. it was $7 and some change. the box is interesting, it says purolator invented the oil filter in 1923 as if that is a gauge of what they are capable of today. the box also says this particular (no pun intended) filter has a 96% multi-pass efficiency.

ill give it a try, one time. but how is one to know how well a filter works, i mean really?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
schumacher62 said:
i just bought a purolator L45308 today, going to give it a try. it was $7 and some change. the box is interesting, it says purolator invented the oil filter in 1923 as if that is a gauge of what they are capable of today. the box also says this particular (no pun intended) filter has a 96% multi-pass efficiency.

ill give it a try, one time. but how is one to know how well a filter works, i mean really?
Used oil analysis of 2 or 3 intervals with that same type of filter and oil, at least. You'd need a good baseline of 2 or 3 intervals with the same oil to compare the new filter to the OEM filters.

OilGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
fixumrich said:
Don't forget about Bosch and Hengst Good quality .. ! Rich
Bosch bought Mann, which had previously bought Purolater. German filter manufacturers have a different mentality about quality/performance vs American manufacturers. Germans want top performance even when not "needed" and US guys design closer to minimum acceptability per application. 2 cents:)

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Revolutionary_mind said:
I wonder how the indian made pep boys filter compares, and i think autozone has one under the STP name.. possibly fram too. Oil filter comparos are pretty cool! Thanks.

BTW I still maintain that a regular full flow filter is not the most important thing and the difference between them are negligible. Except for frams, haha.
Do not use it!!!!!!!!!!! I used it once in a pinch; I was out of filters, and my oil warning light and buzzer started coming on. I replaced the filter with oem and no more problem. Mine was a Purolator made in India. Garbage. I wrote purolator and received no response.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
schumacher62 said:

Do not use this filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See above. Return it and get your money back.

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
OilGuy said:
Bosch bought Mann, which had previously bought Purolater. German filter manufacturers have a different mentality about quality/performance vs American manufacturers. Germans want top performance even when not "needed" and US guys design closer to minimum acceptability per application. 2 cents:)
I was Wondering about that ? When you hold the filters side-by side no difference. Thanks for the info .. Rich

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
schumacher62 said:

Their slogan used to be "pure oil now,pureoilater" get it!

Alwyas haved used the MAHLE filters best deal is $64.56 for 10 filters

TDI
2004 golf
hevster1 said:
Do not use it!!!!!!!!!!! I used it once in a pinch; I was out of filters, and my oil warning light and buzzer started coming on. I replaced the filter with oem and no more problem. Mine was a Purolator made in India. Garbage. I wrote purolator and received no response.
Well hevster, I used this filter for around 22,000 miles without changing. Came out looking fine. Never an oil warning light... maybe you got a bad one.