www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 23rd, 2008, 21:54   #1
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km
Default How to remove ALH alternator pulley in car

This is a followup to my how to remove an alternator post. If you just need to change the pulley, it can be done with the alternator still in the car, but some special tools are required. You can't buy them (YET), so you will have to make them. Many others have done this, so I cannot take credit for the idea, but I can post pictures to help others who want to do it.

Firstly, you need the spline tool to turn the pulley off the shaft. It is available at Metalnerd.com:

Then you need to buy a seperate 12 point bit to hack up to fit inside the special spline tool. You need a 10mm 12 point or tripple square bit like this:

They are availabe at lots of places. Snap-On will sell you a single bit that you need for around $10. Or, you can buy a set of 4 in different sizes for around $10 at many good tool stores. The one in the pic I believe was from a Lisle set I bought many years ago. The product number for the Lisle set is 60750. Just Google it and you will find many hits of places to buy it.

Once you get one, you need to modify it by grinding away the hex part of the shaft so it fits inside the multi splined tool like this:

I just used a bench grinder. Once you have done that, make sure it fits inside the Other part of the tool. Oh, and don't grind away too much as you will need some of the hex part to hold it with a wrench:

I probably should take some measurements so you can grind the appropriate amount away. I had the luxury of having a spare alternator on my bench to measure. It is important to get the length right as there isn't much clearance in the engine compartment between the pulley and the frame. I had to cut about a 1/2 inch off the end of the bit to get it to fit in:

Now you have made the special tool, you need to get under the car & remove the pulley. Removal of the side splash guard is necessary as well as the serpentine belt, obviously. With a screwdriver, pry off the protective plastic cap off the pulley and you can then insert the tools:

Now, you need 2 wrenches. A 17mm to loosen the pulley and a 1/2" to hold the shaft of the alternator. Since you are holding the shaft & loosening the pulley, you need to turn the 17mm wrench as though you were loosening any bolt or nut.....counter clockwise. I used the frame rail to hold the 1/2" wrench solid while I loosened the pulley with the 17mm wrench by pulling it towards the front of the car:

Instalation is the opposite of removal. In this case, I used the harmonic balancer to hold the 1/2" wrench solid while I tightened the pulley with the 17mm wrench by pulling it towards the back of the car (Clockwise):

Now don't forget to put the dust cap back on the new pulley. Total time to do the swap was about 20 minutes, but it took me 10 minutes to make the tool. SO lets say at least a half hour. More if you need to remove the side skirt as mine was allready off.

I hope this helps many of you who have and or will suffer the very common alternator pulley failure. In may case, there was nothing wrong with my pulley. But I was changing the tensioner as it was bad, so I thought I would change the pulley at the same time as a preventative measure as I have seen MANY of these things fail and I would rather do it in a controled situation in my driveay than on the side of a busy highway in the middle of a snow storm .

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 22:07   #2
mtbr297

Great tip! I had the pulley fall off my wife's car recently and had to pull the alternator.
mtbr297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:01   #3
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Wingnut,

you should add this to the How To Thread in TDI101
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:38   #4
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

Yep. Super easy this way. Ill try and get some measurements of my tool when I get home.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:08   #5
philh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/44/37

Great how-to! I wish that Metalnerd would sell the smaller 12-point bit. Fighting that alternator in and out would have saved me about an hour at least.
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:25   #6
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Wingnut, you could add a link to this thread and a note to the alternator R&R thread.

Thanks for your work on this.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:58   #7
Nutsnbolts

Fuel Economy: Average is about 47 now (2010)

That's fantastic!!! I know I'll be doing mine before too long (hopefully once the winter is done), so I'll have to invest in/fabricate some tools...

Great work, Wingnut!

-Rich

2000 Jetta, M1TDT since 20K, RC2, PP520s, W8 panel, front/rear fogs, Pseat w/mem. Other cars:1968 Chrysler 300 2dr HT
Nutsnbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:29   #8
oldpoopie

Wingnut, I tried contacting metalnerd about this a while ago, but didn't get a response. Maybe you could add a poll to this thread to gauge interest. Perhaps the others that have already done this can sing the praises enough that he can be persuaded.

Old December 24th, 2008, 11:46   #9
Wingnut
Veteran Member

This thread has already been linked in both my Alternator re & re how to and Paramedicks pulley removal how to. So those bases are covered.

And as for a picture of the dimentions of the tool, here is a picture that Bear posted a few months back in Paramedicks how to thread:

I will send a PM to Chuck with a link to this thread. Hopefully he can see the huge benefit to making a tool like this to include with his multi splined tool to remove the pulley. It will cut the time of the swap down considerably and I'm sure there will be a larger market for a kit with this tool rather than his kit with the long 12 point bits.

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'
Old December 24th, 2008, 13:13   #10
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

I would rather be able to buy the shorter tool separately..

I already have his alternator kit. just need the shortened 10mm xzn tool

awesome thread.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 23:19   #11
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler

I already have his alternator kit. just need the shortened 10mm xzn tool

awesome thread.
I agree with Aaron. Heck, I haven't even used my alternator tools yet, so just being able to buy the short tool would be awesome. Put me down for one.

I wonder if a Moderator or Administrator could help with establishing a poll in this thread. I know that once a thread is started, you can't add a poll.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:26   #12
Wingnut
Veteran Member

It was THIS THREAD from Oldpoopie that inspired me to take some action shots of the procedure in the car. That is why I did this writeup.

This is a nice clean looking tool. The single Lisle 10mm (60780) bit is available for under $4 and if you turn a bunch on a lathe, you could sell them for $15 as a supplement to the Metalnerd tool, for those who already have it.

Some handy 'How to's'

Last edited by Wingnut; December 25th, 2008 at 10:29.
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:11   #13
oldpoopie

the only trouble is that I tore thru many carbide bits when I made mine. These things are hardened and difficult to cut.

Old December 25th, 2008, 13:11   #14
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoopie
the only trouble is that I tore thru many carbide bits when I made mine. These things are hardened and difficult to cut.
__. I was wondering about that. Sounds like a lathe/grinder is in order.

__. And, Wingy!!! Another great how-to -- this is going to save a bunch of us a lot of time and trouble.

Last edited by mrGutWrench; December 25th, 2008 at 16:30.
mrGutWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 14:06   #15
philh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/44/37

As would I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler