www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Closed Thread

Old December 16th, 2008, 19:06   #1
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Post BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement

This thread is only for this topic. If you want to post about your car makng noises, see the links to other threads below and post in one of them.

As we learned from bad experiences, the BHW engine was equipped with at the factory with a chain driven balance shaft module. Chains and tensioners break, teeth strip off the sprockets, and nasty things happen to the engine.

VW obviously learned of this prone-to-failure design. Every engine they have with this design outside of North America got gear-driven balance shaft module replacements (not recalled, just replacement in the parts catalog and system). Finally they made one for the North American market BHW engine.

They issued a technical document to notify dealership shops of the replacement. However, they have not (as of this writing) actually made the information available via eBahn (the site they point to for everyone else to get repair info). The technical document merely states to refer to the repair manual for installation instructions. As of this writing, I am not aware that the information is actually there for North American VW repair technicians (I'm not one so I can't personally verify).

Oilhammer, who works at www.cardocautomotive.com, was alerted to the replacement parts, and less-than-helpful bulletin. I was able to track down the repair procedure published elsewhere in the world. That procedure was lacking in some steps.

We obtained the necessary parts, and together we installed them on my 2004 Passat Variant. The document link below provides a PDF with the repair procedure.

It is a supplement to other repair procedures that need to be followed as a part of the balance shaft module replacement. The other procedures are documented in the repair manual for the Passats. These include removing the front bumper cover, putting the lock carrier in service position or removing entirely, suspending the engine, timing belt replacement, and manipulating the subframe. This document does describe the necessary steps to take for loosening the subframe enough to remove the oil pan.

Read through the procedure. If you do not understand it, or do not have the other repair information, we do NOT recommend that you undertake the procedure. Failure to reassemble the car correctly can lead to poor handling which might lead to an accident. Failure to correctly reassemble the engine could also lead to a catastrophic failure.

You have been warned. You take on all responsibility for following this procedure, and all consequences of working on your car.

Having written that, I have to say I am very pleased with the outcome. My engine was making a lot of noise. It had very noticeable chain noise, though nothing terribly wrong was found on disassembly. The engine has virtually no lower engine noise after the surgery. I don't have to worry about imminent chain failure.

Refer to the following threads for further information about balance shaft issues:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223941
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=202297

I may revise the document at any time. Please get a fresh copy before undertaking the repair on any vehicle.

This procedure can be followed as a guideline for the other engines of the world that got this replacement design. However the parts vary depending on the engine. Vehicle disassembly/reassembly may also vary.

BHW Balance Shaft Module Replacement Procedure PDF

This document is a fairly large size (1377.8kb).

Edit to add:
World IMPEX has put together a kit price of the parts for those of you who are unable to get to oilhammer for help.
Geared Balance shaft module kit

www.advancedautomotion.com can supply parts too.

Bora Parts offers kits.

I have no association with these companies.

Last edited by MOGolf; June 30th, 2009 at 13:40.
Old December 16th, 2008, 19:18   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Nice write up!
Old December 16th, 2008, 19:34   #3
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

ooo now I gotta go for another ride in your wagon to hear the difference

nice writeup Glen/Brian!
Old December 16th, 2008, 20:05   #4
auntulna
Veteran Member

Those of us with mortal mechanical skills are humbled by your collective tour de force in figuring this problem out, finding the corrective parts, and replacing them. Needless to say, I won't be doin' the fixin' around here Bobalouie! I will be in touch for eventual scheduling for the grand overhaul.
Old December 16th, 2008, 21:51   #5
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Glen & Brian: Thanks for your efforts and the fine write up.

Tony
2014 Passat SE TDI DSG, Opera Red Metallic, Cornsilk interior
Old December 16th, 2008, 22:18   #6
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

I read through the procedure and all I can say is wow....you guys have out guru'd yourselves here.
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:39   #7
senez
Veteran Member

The baking part is what gets me.

What? Like cookies?
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:51   #8
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

Great procedure and write up MOGolf and oilhammer! Big THANK YOU!

I dig the specialized tools:
SST MOTOOL-GHOOO1
SST OHTOOL-BJOOO1
SST MOTOOL-GHOOO2
SST OHTOOL-BJOOO2

Question: I am not clear on the procedure of installing the new gear on the crank. Does the heated gear expand enough to freely slide on with your hands? Or do you need to tap it in place with the suggested seal installer?
Also, was there a particular orientation the gear is installed? Or you just choose any position and lock it in?

Last edited by DeliveryValve; December 17th, 2008 at 05:57.
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:38   #9
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Yes you bake the gear like cookies. On the middle rack to ensure even heating. VW's procedure says to use a "commerically available hotplate". I prefer the oven. A hotplate will heat one side more than the other.

The gear slid right on with my gloved hands. The seal installer is just there to hold it with even pressure all around while it cools. You don't want it cooling at an angle.

No orientation for the gear. It is round and not keyed. The procedure for pressing the intermediate gear into place ensures that all the teeth mesh correctly.
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:48   #10
maktas
Veteran Member

MoGolf,

You didn't make mention of the hex shaft. Did you do anything to it?
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:08   #11
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maktas
MoGolf,

You didn't make mention of the hex shaft. Did you do anything to it?
I suspect that because of the geared setup there will be less lash pulsing due to the better integrity of the geared vs the chain setup.
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:33   #12
MOGolf
Veteran Member

We removed the hex shaft, found it labeled with the 'D' part number. I put it back in. Now we can find out how well this holds up over time. There is no written track record of geared balance shaft modules and the hex shaft oil pump drive that I can find.

The old BS module had an unlabeled hex shaft. No A and no D. No VW nor Audi symbols either.
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:37   #13
maktas
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGolf
We removed the hex shaft, found it labeled with the 'D' part number. I put it back in. Now we can find out how well this holds up over time. There is no written track record of geared balance shaft modules and the hex shaft oil pump drive that I can find.

The old BS module had an unlabeled hex shaft. No A and no D. No VW nor Audi symbols either.
So that I understand, the new BS asm comes with a new hex shaft? Or did you use the old one? It is interesting you mentioned the noise was eliminated, does this mean the hex shaft has minimal impact on the noise issue?
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:45   #14
MOGolf
Veteran Member

We used the new hex shaft that came with the new module. The module includes a new oil pump, hex shaft, balance shafts, bearings for shafts, intermediate gear, thrust washers for the gear, and gear bolt.

To my ears, the noises from my car were coming from the chain drive.
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:53   #15
maktas
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGolf
We used the new hex shaft that came with the new module. The module includes a new oil pump, hex shaft, balance shafts, bearings for shafts, intermediate gear, thrust washers for the gear, and gear bolt.

To my ears, the noises from my car were coming from the chain drive.
Ok.. I see, thanks!

I hope VW issues an officiall TSB soon... I want to use my extended warranty before it runs out. I also wonder if extended warranty work can be done by non-VW dealer shops?