www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 3rd, 2014, 19:40   #61
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

i just spent the whole day doing this... but i tore the dash out and the airbag. i didnt start out that way but i just couldnt get my fat hands in there so i just removed everything in the way. now that i know how it all goes together i think i could do this in 4-6 hours including pulling the dash up... but the dash was impossible for me to put back in with out removing the airbag.

looking for a B3 glovebox to go in airbag hole if anyone has a line on one.

***edit: user steve addy got me a glovebox, fits perfect and came with a key to boot***

unfortunately i needed to button it up and go home and i forgot something... my blower fan control doesnt work. ill have to pull the hvac controls again in the morning and fix it. pretty sure i just left it unplugged.

Last edited by ketchupshirt88; November 17th, 2014 at 08:36.
ketchupshirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 12:18   #62
Redlabel6
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A3 51mpg, B5.5 38mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchupshirt88 View Post

looking for a B3 glovebox to go in airbag hole if anyone has a line on one.
I have one from an A3 if they are the same....

d
Redlabel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 11:15   #63
tripl-e
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48

First of all a big THANKS! to diesel300dmanual and ToddA1 for pioneering this effort. Like others here, I was putting up with the marginal creature comfort rather than deal with a complete dash removal. But this procedure looked easy enough to manage. I took ToddA1's extra step(s) of removing the airbag, mount bracket and dash distribution plenum. One caveat here is that the top bolts on the air bag mount are not easy access and more than a little patience is called for. The real benefit of this method is the clear access to the repair area. With the distribution plenum out of the way, access to the foamless doors is clear and easy. And is sure is nice to have heat this time of year!

'97 b4 300,000, '01 Ram 2500 5.9 200,000, '84 Saab 900 440,000 RIP , '93 BMW M5 Touring (Clone) 188,000
tripl-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 16:16   #64
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Well, I appreciate the props, but I in no way pioneered this method. I may have come up with the extra step to save time and effort, but it's truley a group effort.

Did you lift the dash? If so, the A/B bracket screws should be easy to remove either with a ratcheting box end or 1/4" ratchet and 8mm socket. I think I used the latter.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 18:43   #65
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Thanks to those that developed the procedure.
Old December 28th, 2014, 00:13   #66
Col Sanders
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51 mpg last time I checked it. Audi no numbers yet.

So the ? is. Is the A3 glove box the same as the B3 ?
Col Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 00:19   #67
Col Sanders
Veteran Member

Going to tackle the blend door problem starting tomorrow. Probably use felt and Hvac tape. I didn't realize B4's came from the factory with heaters.
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:01   #68
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Sanders View Post
So the ? is. Is the A3 glove box the same as the B3 ?

No.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 18:51   #69
lsteimel

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default Blend doors

Will this procedure also work for a 2002 Jetta TDI
lsteimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:37   #70
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

Not likely. The plenum is going to be different.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 21:23   #71
TheDguy

Fuel Economy: 53 in Los Angeles traffic

I just tried to do this on my A3 Jetta (97 model year if it matters). The knee bar/crash support has to come out to get the whole box unit out or even the front off to get good access to the doors. Getting the bloody bar off means getting the steering column off.

I was able to do this by getting the dash out alone and working from the top of the HVAC box, I'm "lucky" enough to have small enough hands to get in the hole and was able to use felt tape. The only reason this route worked was cause the tape was tacky enough to stick, but if it no so much that you couldn't peal it a bit if it tried to stick to anything you didn't want.

Also getting the entire door covered on 1 side was nigh impossible. So far I have a hell of a lot better heat than I did before (keeping in mind, I'm in Socal where we are currently "freezing" our asses off at post-50F temps).

Did VW decide to build this cars by starting with a heater core/hvac unit in mind and assemble around it?
TheDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:16   #72
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDguy View Post

Did VW decide to build this cars by starting with a heater core/hvac unit in mind and assemble around it?
Yes...yes they did. And I'd love to slap the engineer that came up with that stupid design, among others.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:07   #73
lisab4
Veteran Member

I think we could start a line for that :/ That and the doorhandles,central locking system,...
Old January 4th, 2015, 17:54   #74
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
Yes...yes they did. And I'd love to slap the engineer that came up with that stupid design, among others.
MB did the same thing with the W140 and that car is a lot more complicated than the Passat or Jetta. Having the evaporator replaced in that chassis is a several thousand dollar event.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 00:39   #75
Col Sanders
Veteran Member

I removed the plenum to get at the doors, clear access to doors, a layer of hvac tape then felt sticky over that. There is a easy way to remove the airbag. take out the bottom Phillips screws on the airbag cover, ( the front that should be a glove box ) then you can raise the cover up and sit in pass seat with a 8mm socket and 8" extension, 3 min job. No need to stand on head and work blind. Airbag will stay out, I used a 3.5 ohm resister in airbag plug, no light ! Thanks to all for the good info, nice to have heat !