Modified ALTERNATOR PULLEY TOOL

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Finally a way to remove and replace the alternator pulley without removing the alternator!

A while ago, I was talking with Fixumrich about how you should be able to remove the alt pulley in the vehicle if you had the right tool. We decided that it should be possible if you shorten the m10 tripple square and fasten a wrench to the end. Rich wound up doing it a while back, but just used a grinder to make a rough prototype and it worked great. Today I made a more finalized (clean) version on my lathe and used it as well. Basically I got a replacement m10 tripple from the Snap-On truck. It starts out made from a 11mm hex shaft that rounds out and ends with the m10 tripple. I measured just how much of the hex shaft I'd have to turn, and cut it so that there is just a bit of hex left when the tool is installed in the alt pulley.

With this setup, you slide the two tools at once up and into the alternator pulley. Then using 17mm and 11mm box wrenches, break the pulley loose. Remove the tools after breaking loose othewise the frame rail will interfere with removal. Spin the pully off by hand and spin on the new pulley, tightening the same way.

Here are some pics of my setup. I've emailed Chuck at Metalnerd... Who knows, maybe he'll decide to make some. :)

I hate to toot my own horn, but this is such a huge timesaver. :)

Here is a shot of the standard metalnerd tool

My modified tool started life as this:

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
except the new (within the last month or so) metalnerd tool that I just purchased is made from all round stock for the long shafts...

if it was made from hex like that photo it would be easier to just cut it off at the needed length and be done with it.

how long did you cut your tool off?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Growler said:
except the new (within the last month or so) metalnerd tool that I just purchased is made from all round stock for the long shafts...

if it was made from hex like that photo it would be easier to just cut it off at the needed length and be done with it.

The metalnerd tool cannot be cut since it is already round (needs to be to fit inside the larger part). If it were a hex shape, it would not fit inside the center of the larger splined piece of the tool combo.

I'm guessing he started with something like this:

and just machined the hex part of the shaft to make it fit inside the larger splined part of the tool. If you don't have a lathe to machine it down, a bench grinder works too.

BTW, nice work Oldpoopie.

FYI, Snap on, Lisle & many other tool companies make these tools. Easy to buy and not expensive, so no worries about modding one.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Justin: have you never run across an alternator pulley that was stuck on the shaft to the degree that impact tools were required to loosen it???

When I was at Wingnut's place a short while ago, we couldn't persuade the pulley to come loose without resorting to the impact gun...

Yuri.

(PS: Nigel: thanks for that alternator... however, it wound up not being useable due to a bad bearing...)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Wingnut said:
The metalnerd tool cannot be cut since it is already round (needs to be to fit inside the larger part). If it were a hex shape, it would not fit inside the center of the larger splined piece of the tool combo.

I'm guessing he started with something like this:

and just machined the hex part of the shaft to make it fit inside the larger splined part of the tool. If you don't have a lathe to machine it down, a bench grinder works too.

BTW, nice work Oldpoopie.

FYI, Snap on, Lisle & many other tool companies make these tools. Easy to buy and not expensive, so no worries about modding one.
Exactly. The new Metalnerd tripplesquare cannot be used. Get your local Snap-On driver to give you the part shown in the the photo above. They keep them on the truck for repairs. They press the socket adapter off the old damaged shank and onto the new one. Costs about $10.

ymz said:
Justin: have you never run across an alternator pulley that was stuck on the shaft to the degree that impact tools were required to loosen it???

When I was at Wingnut's place a short while ago, we couldn't persuade the pulley to come loose without resorting to the impact gun...

Yuri.

(PS: Nigel: thanks for that alternator... however, it wound up not being useable due to a bad bearing...)
Yes, I've had some that are more difficult to remove. In that case you can always put a pipe on the wrench. :)
I find it actually easier as the alternator isnt flopping around on the ground while trying to loosen

growler said:
Total length from tip to end of round section is 1-15/16" Hex section is 3/8".

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
For a buck more + shipping, you can get a set of 4 from Lisle. Pep boys, Autozone, Napa, Harbour freight & many other retailers should also carry Lisle tools in stock.

That is the set I have that I used to make the same tool. The bonus is you have different sizes needed for the steering wheel, axles, doors, locks, & other various triple square bolts on these cars.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
Justin - I'm going to attempt to steal your thunder...I figured that out back in April.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
LOL. Rich and I talked it out about a year ago. He made his with a grinder right away and has been using it ever since.... So I guess he stole the thunder first. I'm just putting it out there since nobody seems to have let people know that its possible to swap these things out without removing the alternator.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I was able to do mine with all of the supplied standard tools. I was in the middle of my TB so I had the motor mouts out. I was able to possition the motor just right to be able to get the tools on the alt pulley and then with a 6" extension and my large 1/2" ratchet I was able to pop it loose. The ratchet was very close to the intercooler though so it may not work for everyone. I had to put the extension through a bracket if I remember correctly.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
oldpoopie said:
LOL. Rich and I talked it out about a year ago. He made his with a grinder right away and has been using it ever since.... So I guess he stole the thunder first. I'm just putting it out there since nobody seems to have let people know that its possible to swap these things out without removing the alternator.
Ah...going for the altruistic angle there eh? Either way, it's good to not have to pull 'em anymore. The G/J aren't too bad; but the beetles are really a pain. Metalnerd already pooped on my idea. Something about sometimes needing to beat the tipple square into the alternator shaft to get a solid purchase.

They come capped though, so I've never had this issue.

And yeah; sometimes they're pretty tight; but I'll gladly flop around under the car with a couple pipes and wrenches if it means I don't have to shoehorn an alternator past the AC lines on a bug.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
aNUT said:
Ah...going for the altruistic angle there eh? Either way, it's good to not have to pull 'em anymore. The G/J aren't too bad; but the beetles are really a pain. Metalnerd already pooped on my idea. Something about sometimes needing to beat the tipple square into the alternator shaft to get a solid purchase.

And yeah; sometimes they're pretty tight; but I'll gladly flop around under the car with a couple pipes and wrenches if it means I don't have to shoehorn an alternator past the AC lines on a bug.
Exactly. I've never had to beat the tripple into the alternator either??? Never spoke to someone that has... Oh well.

2TDIguy

Veteran Member
FYI, NAPA sell the 10mm 12 point driver bit too for $7.10. It needs ground down also. I had to make mine today to use. NAPA part # is 2305.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
aNUT said:

On my own NB I had to tap it in. I was replacing the alternator anyway so it had to come out. I pulled the nose. Far less time consuming than trying to get it past a/c lines etc. in my opinion.
I was using a MAC triple square. I had used it before on a pulley replacement and it went in fine so I know the tool wasn't the issue. I guess it could happen but perhaps a prybar against the frame rail and the modified triple square would work.

BongoBrains

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Golf GLS Silver/Blk
I'm currently dealing with the Missing Pully Syndrome on my car, and I've got some interesting 'fun facts' for those who stumble across this issue in the future...as luck would have it, my pully flew off during the coldest week we've had in Northern Michigan for some time...that always makes 'wrenching' fun...

I purchased the Metalnerd alternator tools and new pully from TDI Parts, plus made my 10mm 12 point stubbie on the grinder so I wouldn't (theoretically) need to pull the alternator from my car.

First...the remaining portion of the pully (bearing race) left on the alternator shaft was evidently deformed from wear and didn't allow enough clearance to insert the Metalnerd spline tool.

Second...my alternator shaft, (Valeo 120 amp) had a 6 point vs. 12 point hole, so my stubbie tool was useless. ***I would strongly recommend that you check the shaft-end with a mirror and flashlight before diving into the job, although it seems everyone else has 'made' 12 point tools for this task, I don't recall reading about anyone fabricating a 6-point stubbie tool.

Since I now HAD to pull the alternator...I fought with all those clearance issues and got the thing out. I used the 6-point metalnerd bit and a pipe wrench to attempt to loosen the old pully part from the shaft. Mine wasn't coming apart. Ultimately I ended up with a (slightly deformed) 6-point metalnerd tool and a stripped 6-point alternator shaft.

I ordered a new alternator (and a new tensioner for good measure) and am expecting them to be delivered today... Hopefully the rest of the project will go smoother than the past weeks worth of issues...

Moral of the story...??? Who knows...

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I just did another one on the side of a street for someone. Sure saved me some time!

fastcars49

TDI
2003 Golf
Wow... need info...

I know this is an old thread, but I just have to have one of the home made alternator tools. I read through the thread, but did not find where to buy the big splined shaft tool and what size it is, and where to buy the 10mm triple other than snap-on. Thanks much, you guys are the greatest.

HQ

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Exactly. Just buy it. Its faster, cheaper, and better than the home made ones.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Is it the Part MN3400 - Serrated Alternator Pulley Bit SET that you guys are referring to?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Is it the Part MN3400 - Serrated Alternator Pulley Bit SET that you guys are referring to?
Yup... You can get it directly from Metalnerd or from one of his re-sellers like idparts (should be the same price, but in case you're ordering parts, it will save on shipping)...

Yuri

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup... You can get it directly from Metalnerd or from one of his re-sellers like idparts (should be the same price, but in case you're ordering parts, it will save on shipping)...

Yuri
Yeah having trouble navigating the idparts.com site. Do they sell the pulley too on this site? If they sold it in a pair that would be awesome.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
to navigate websites like idparts, just put a keyword into the search box... I input "alternator" and before I finished typing, there was the link...
Thanks just noticed that. I was trying to search metalnerd's products.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I also have the long AND the short tools for rent if needed if one doesn't want to out right buy them. I had to buy the long ones for mine before the short ones were made. Then I couldn't pass on a deal to get the short ones.

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
doh, wish i would have seen this post before replacing my alternator/pulley.

I opted to replace the original alternator when the pulley decided to fall apart after 240k.