www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 16:20   #31
greenskeeper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53mpg

Quote:
^^^ It depends mainly upon how much your budget is and how much more power your after........if the budgets big enough you can quite easily reach 200hp+
My budget right now could be for this KO3/04 hybrid turbo to the cost of $850 or so. My question is what level of perfomance (hp/tq) could I expect with this turbo in place of the stock one along with my PP764s and proper Aligator tune?

Is it worth the money for the gain? I have no idea where I am at now with my current setup which would be a good place to start lol.
99 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF-6 (4" turbo back, Hydra chip)
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 16:56   #32
AThreeTdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 jetta Tdi
Fuel Economy: 43/39

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper
My budget right now could be for this KO3/04 hybrid turbo to the cost of $850 or so. My question is what level of perfomance (hp/tq) could I expect with this turbo in place of the stock one along with my PP764s and proper Aligator tune?

Is it worth the money for the gain? I have no idea where I am at now with my current setup which would be a good place to start lol.
I dyno'ed 149.16hp/306 ftlbs with that same set-up earlier this year and the car ran a 14.71 @ 93.36 in the 1/4.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 17:39   #33
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

The 2056 seems very nice.I have not tried one yet so I am not certain. I do have one now....so I will soon know. Anyway, as far as easy, cheap and proven, the vnt 15\17\hybrid 1752 are a great deal. On the shelf anytime, compatible with everything you have save the rear mount and bracket and of course a modified turbo outlet pipe. The tuning is as easy as a firmware change away and the n75 can use a regular ALH unit. Tdiparts even has the custom downpipe for Mk3 vnt in stock...so that part is also off the shelf. And as we know, the 1752 supports 200whp. The 17 supports 180whp and the 15 supports 160whp.

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 18:41   #34
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

I'd like to see someone come up with a compound turbo setup for the Mk3. I have some evil plans for my '91 Jetta "Freakodiesel."...

Either that or at the very least a VNT 1752 hybrid... I've got a couple 1Z blocks and heads that need TLC and I'd love to put together one to stick into my Mk2. Make it my plaything.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 19:03   #35
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

I have the 1752 in my Mk3 now...no problemo. And as you are doing a Mk2.... it will be no problem as you are making a whole custom setup.

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 22:44   #36
onlyn8v
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojogoes
300 miles to half a tank....i don't know about the US/A3 version but my Euro version was only reported to do 600mile to a full tank max possibly more if you drive backwards sloooooowly...lol.
8v its seems that your map is some way off from being optimised........i remember doing/having quite a few maps/chips done in the same way your receiving your software / new programing as to be fair on Jeff unless you have the car in your hands its alway going to be a guesstimate......having said that he / you will get there it only takes that little bit longer thats all.
P.S......8v what type of boost control/controller are you using and boost pressure or is it all controlled via chip plus what is the max boost pressure that you know your turbo can produce steady-state!

Im still trying to iron things out so right now Its in all in testing. Im using the chip for all the engine controls. It maxes out my 20 PSI gauge when I sit on it but I dont do it for long- I never put in a EGT(Dumb I know)

I would love to do some logs in VagCom but I dont really know what tables to log
98 Jetta TDI 5 speed 249k+ (Red) RC3+, Ventectomy, tint, leather interior, Porsche wheels, DRL-less, ported / polished head with matched intake manifold,3" catless exhaust, 2.5" downpipe, PP520, hybrid turbo, FMIC, smoked e-codes, badgeless grille, H&R cup kit
04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 33K Blue 4" Fabtech lift, MT wheels, 33",Borla, sliders, snorkle, 15mpg
...Other crap Im parting
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 23:01   #37
Bora-chiara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49-51

Greenskeeper, did you install a mk4 intake manifold with the changeover valve to eliminate shutter? This is something i'm looking into doing very seriously and with no too many crazy mods under the hood i've found a Euro PD150 intake is a higher flowing manifold and faces the same direction as the A3. Was that the way you went?

onlyn8v, nice IC, how does the piping look under the hood, do you have any pictures? Although reading about what I have with the hybrid turbo...it seems i'm leaning to mr.chill's thoughts on the VNT in the A3...is there quite the tuning that needs to happen to operate the VNT?
-1998 "GLX" MK3 TDI 225k Miles-SOLD

Last edited by Bora-chiara; December 3rd, 2008 at 23:09.
Bora-chiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:09   #38
greenskeeper
Veteran Member

Quote:
Greenskeeper, did you install a mk4 intake manifold with the changeover valve to eliminate shutter? This is something i'm looking into doing very seriously and with no too many crazy mods under the hood i've found a Euro PD150 intake is a higher flowing manifold and faces the same direction as the A3. Was that the way you went?
No but would consider a better intake manifold. What shudder would this clear up? I had the usual 1600rpm shudder but a new TPS fixed that.
Old December 4th, 2008, 14:05   #39
onlyn8v
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora-chiara

onlyn8v, nice IC, how does the piping look under the hood, do you have any pictures? Although reading about what I have with the hybrid turbo...it seems i'm leaning to mr.chill's thoughts on the VNT in the A3...is there quite the tuning that needs to happen to operate the VNT?

I took the car out for some "beating" today. I have decided that while the turbo is spooling there is too much fuel. So at least I have a place to start. Im not unhappy with the tune- it just needs some expert tweaks, and I dont think Im going to bother Jeff until I get the exhaust done. My guess is the exhaust is not moving the gases fast enough. From what I saw Stealth do just changing out the cat to a highflow is worth some extra ponies.
98 Jetta TDI 5 speed 249k+ (Red) RC3+, Ventectomy, tint, leather interior, Porsche wheels, DRL-less, ported / polished head with matched intake manifold,3" catless exhaust, 2.5" downpipe, PP520, hybrid turbo, FMIC, smoked e-codes, badgeless grille, H&R cup kit
04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 33K Blue 4" Fabtech lift, MT wheels, 33",Borla, sliders, snorkle, 15mpg
...Other crap Im parting
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 15:43   #40
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Although removing the CAT will help, a better flowing DP really makes a difference. I was able to drop my IQ from 4.2 to 2.8 in my A3 and still have less smoke than before the DP switch.

Although I had considered putting a VNT-15 in my A3, and still might, but every time I drive the car I'm amazed at the smoothness and responsiveness of the current setup. I think the VNT-15 would provide both more power and better fuel economy, but right now I'm tempted to leave it as is.

Greenskeeper, if you're not sure what to do then spend your efforts now on improving breathing. A better intake and exhaust helps a lot. Improved intercooling will be worth the effort, too. And you can think about how to improve fueling (lift pump, better injection pump) as a new turbo will benefit from that. Then when you're ready the turbo can drop right in.
Old December 5th, 2008, 14:18   #41
Bora-chiara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49-51

Greenskeep: A3's don't have a changeover valve so upon engine shutdown they shake pretty hard. It's annoying and it loosens things.

only, That is a real nice setup. Just one question, was it hard to pipe the new location for post turbo - pre IC, going down the other side now? If you can squeeze a picture of that, that'd help me a lot in my brainstorming.

IBW thanks for the quick clutch shipment by the way, im going up to idaho to get the done car tomorrow and then im sending that other clutch kit back to ya. I appreciate your help when I was in a bind. With the lower IQ post bigger DP does that also help with fuel economy? Still gathering ideas on what I want to do.
-1998 "GLX" MK3 TDI 225k Miles-SOLD
Bora-chiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 14:28   #42
BleachedBora

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchill
...Anyway, as far as easy, cheap and proven, the vnt 15\17\hybrid 1752 are a great deal. On the shelf anytime, compatible with everything you have save the rear mount and bracket and of course a modified turbo outlet pipe. The tuning is as easy as a firmware change away and the n75 can use a regular ALH unit. Tdiparts even has the custom downpipe for Mk3 vnt in stock...so that part is also off the shelf. And as we know, the 1752 supports 200whp. The 17 supports 180whp and the 15 supports 160whp.
I'd consider the K03 hybrid as easy (bolt in, no different downpipes, hardware, sensors, or tunes), cheap (about $200 more than a stock turbo and almost HALF the cost of a 17/22, not counting all the other mods you'd have to do to make it work in a MK3), and proven--they are running at 16,000 ft in the Andee's, on the Autobahn, and on the race track. Over 50 of them out and the reliability has been amazing. Millions of miles collectively with no issues, try that with a VNT15!

And we all know the limiting factor in the 1Z/AHU is the pump and the electronics, so don't go blaming the turbo for all those problems!
-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 15:03   #43
KROUT
persona non grata

I would put a gt20 on it and be done. They are cheap and you would have alot more room for more power.
KROUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 15:20   #44
greenskeeper
Veteran Member

Quote:
Greenskeep: A3's don't have a changeover valve so upon engine shutdown they shake pretty hard. It's annoying and it loosens things.
Actually for whatever reason my A3 shuts down right away with minimal shake...not the case in our F-250!

Quote:
I dyno'ed 149.16hp/306 ftlbs with that same set-up earlier this year and the car ran a 14.71 @ 93.36 in the 1/4.
So I might be around 125/250 with the stock turbo in there? I just don't see the benefit of the K03/04 hybrid if my stock turbo is already tuned to 18psi with the aligator tuning...could a few more psi make a big difference?

Quote:
Greenskeeper, if you're not sure what to do then spend your efforts now on improving breathing. A better intake and exhaust helps a lot. Improved intercooling will be worth the effort, too. And you can think about how to improve fueling (lift pump, better injection pump) as a new turbo will benefit from that. Then when you're ready the turbo can drop right in.
Exhaust is already straight piped. Thought about and upgrade intake wise but haven't found anything at the moment.

Quote:
And we all know the limiting factor in the 1Z/AHU is the pump and the electronics, so don't go blaming the turbo for all those problems!
If I go for all out numbers I'll have to upgrade to an A4 then! Although the VNT turbo scares me with jamming vanes and such. I love being able to drive for economy when wanted and not have to worry about the turbo getting fouled up.
Old December 5th, 2008, 17:00   #45
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora
they are running at 16,000 ft in the Andee's...
That may or may not be the turbo in my TDI Vanagon

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote