www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 18:32   #1
glennrusan

Fuel Economy: Highway 10.0 litres per hundred
Default 2005 Passat timing belt

What special tools are required? who sells them? Is the procedure similar to the A3 or A4 even though my engine is not tranverse mounted?
Thanks
glennrusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 22:41   #2
afarfalla
Veteran Member

believe if you do a search the writeups are pretty comprehensive
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:57   #3
Sloppy Snood
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Passsat
Fuel Economy: 31 mpg (city) / 38 mpg (hwy)
Post Timing Belt Information Links

Tools and Parts for Timing Belt Changes

LINK: http://www.metalmanparts.com/

LINK: http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Ca...ming+Belt+Kits

LINK: http://www.toolsinstock.com/index.ph...oductId=420003

LINK: http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/oem-...hw_908758.html

LINK: http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/inde...vpuidg294ae2p0

LINK: http://www.metalnerd.com/

Timing Belt Change Procedures

LINK: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3419/BEW_timing_belt_procedure.pdf

For a 1.8T Gasser Passat (good pictures):

LINK: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...ng+belt+change

Another install link (added 11/30/08):

LINK: http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/timingbelt/

Don't know what a "Snood" is? Click Here and Move Cursor Over the Beak

'05 VW Passat TDI GLS - The Unofficial TDIClub VW B5.5 Passat oil pump balance shaft crybaby!

Last edited by Sloppy Snood; November 30th, 2008 at 06:45.
Sloppy Snood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:01   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You may want to study up on this thread first:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223941
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:00   #5
Kevinski
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg max,

Posted by Oilhammer:

You may want to study up on this thread first:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223941

www.cardocautomotive.com
"Where no paint marks lose their lives during a timing belt change"

Oilhammer, this is a subject that has me thinking of dumping my passat.

I tried to read the thread from start to finish and got discouraged as well as a headache. Tons of info to read through.

So what is the bottom line? Listen for the "blender noise", wait till you hear the noise, wonder if what your hearing is the noise, replace everything at same time as the timing belt service, replace the shaft only, get the new VW kit, or just dump the vehicle?

Not trying to slam anyone (sometimes typed words can be misinterpreted), just really frustrated, confused, and overwhelmed by the potential cost. So much for any savings in owning a diesel!

Just trying to get a basic summary of the situation for myself and others to read/consider their options. Thanks for all the work you have put into this.
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:30   #6
EJS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski
So what is the bottom line? Listen for the "blender noise", wait till you hear the noise, wonder if what your hearing is the noise, replace everything at same time as the timing belt service, replace the shaft only, get the new VW kit, or just dump the vehicle?
It differs for everyone as we each have a different situation. For me it's really not an issue as I have 53K at 4 years = relatively low mileage = even a straight up replacement would be every 8 years or so. If you rack up the mileage it would seem the permanent fix would be the only cost effective measure. Even @ 3K it's still far less than a car payment, any car payment.

I agree it is a bit disconcerting to have such a fatal flaw discovered.

The biggest plus to me is that OH & the folks here have ID'd the problem giving us the information to make an informed decision.
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:37   #7
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Folks, fixing that defect along with the scheduled timing belt, is good insurance for an additional 100+ K miles (or more). No telling what the fuel prices will evolve to over the next few years. Heck, some gasser repairs are just as costly, if not more.

I don't think the diesel/gasoline potential savings is the issue at all here. It's really about vehicle reliability and longivity of the engine.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 17:43   #8
glennrusan

Fuel Economy: Highway 10.0 litres per hundred
Unhappy

Thanks for the info & links. I ordered the tools & purchased the parts from the dealer @ trade Price. I was looking for instructions on putting the front end into service mode. The 1.8 link did the trick. My owners manual calls for the timing belt @ 160,000 kilometers, the dealer said that has been changed to 128,000 kilometers. I have 150k now, I wanted to do the job today Sat 29 Nov. but the tools didn't arrive yet. I have not noticed any extra noises from the engine yet, but I'm watching the posts as more info comes available. Maybe I wont have to worry about it untill the next timing belt change.
glennrusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 19:34   #9
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennrusan
My owners manual calls for the timing belt @ 160,000 kilometers, the dealer said that has been changed to 128,000 kilometers.
Glenn, what engine are you talking about? The dealer said *who* changed the TB replacement interval?

Thanks

Tony
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 21:01   #10
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

The 160k calculates out to 99,419.39 US miles. That would be fully in line with the US manuals that call TB at 100k.

There seems to be a dealer rumor floating around that its now lower, but there has been no documentation or notification sent (and I got the notification for the brake light switch and have not moved since we bought the car).

The consensus is that you can use the 160k figure, though you are getting close at 150k you have.

The 128K figure would be in line with 80,000 US miles which was used with the older style timing belts, these are new and improved.
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:09   #11
dhuddleson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokerr
There seems to be a dealer rumor floating around that its now lower, but there has been no documentation or notification sent (and I got the notification for the brake light switch and have not moved since we bought the car).

The consensus is that you can use the 160k figure, though you are getting close at 150k you have.

The 128K figure would be in line with 80,000 US miles which was used with the older style timing belts, these are new and improved.
There is no dealer rumor, the updated number/mileage for timing belt replacement is in revised Maintenance Schedules. If the dealers are in fact pulling BHW schedules from VW's online databases, they will see that as of May 2008, the previous 100k miles belt change is now listed as 80K. I don't think this required any direct mailing to customers, as this is not a recall. My dealer told me it was 80k miles the last time I was at the service counter, and I asked them why the book said 100k. The answer was that it had been revised....

Now, it would be nice if they at least posted it on a notice board at the service counter, or handed us a dated printout on each visit.
2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T wagon (sold)
dhuddleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:44   #12
Sloppy Snood
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Passsat
Fuel Economy: 31 mpg (city) / 38 mpg (hwy)
Wink Another Timing Belt / Water Pump Install Link

Another decent timing belt install link (1.8t gasser) but the same procedure (relatively) applies. Good pictures.

LINK: http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/timingbelt/

Don't know what a "Snood" is? Click Here and Move Cursor Over the Beak

'05 VW Passat TDI GLS - The Unofficial TDIClub VW B5.5 Passat oil pump balance shaft crybaby!
Sloppy Snood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 14:11   #13
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the logic that this is merely a service change interval and not a major notification issue.

A service change interval that if you falin to adhere to that will destroy your engine is not a big deal?

Can anyone get a definitive answer on this? I will ask my local dealer on my next weekend if no one else finds out.
Old November 30th, 2008, 16:09   #14
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuddleson
There is no dealer rumor, the updated number/mileage for timing belt replacement is in revised Maintenance Schedules. If the dealers are in fact pulling BHW schedules from VW's online databases, they will see that as of May 2008, the previous 100k miles belt change is now listed as 80K. I don't think this required any direct mailing to customers, as this is not a recall. My dealer told me it was 80k miles the last time I was at the service counter, and I asked them why the book said 100k. The answer was that it had been revised....

Now, it would be nice if they at least posted it on a notice board at the service counter, or handed us a dated printout on each visit.
It is interesting that if you go online to vw.com and look up the maintenance schedule they still list replace at 100K and check at 80k.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:52   #15
EJS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuddleson
Recall or not failure to notify owners would put VW on the hook - period. One would think VoA would have learned this lesson with the 1.8T debacle.

How do you think this would fly?

- customer follows the schedule as they know it at the local indy shop
- belt fails @ 90,000 miles, engine obliterated

Come to find out VW has an internal memo/TSB stating it should be replaced @ 80,000???

Thanks for the complementary new engine VW, much appreciated.