www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old November 17th, 2008, 20:49   #1
kwgilpin
Veteran Member

Default Webasto Install Kit

For those of your who have installed Webasto coolant heaters, did you find it was necessary to work from the official car specific installation kits sold by Webasto? I ask because I have a (50% biodiesel capable!) heater unit on the way from Germany eBay, but it does not include any of the coolant hoses, wiring harness, dosing pump, 7-day timer, mounting bracket, etc. I have found other sources for most all of these parts, but nothing as formal or complete as the car specific kits sold by Webasto.

My biggest concern is not having the car-specific molded coolant hoses. Can I get away with genertic coolant hose from my neighborhood auto parts store?

Are there any other unique parts included in the car-specific kit that are absolutely necessary?

Has anyone else succeeded in a Webasto install by individually assembling all of the parts from eBay?

Finally, can someone scan and post their Webasto Thermotop C install manual for an A4. It'd be helpful so that I can double check that I have everything I need.
kwgilpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 16:32   #2
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

The hoses in my kit were just plain heater hose. Nothing needs to be formed. You would do better having the wiring kit with the relays because it makes a cleaner install but if you know what you are doing it should be OK.
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 16:45   #3
kwgilpin
Veteran Member

Are the relay sockets attached to the wiring harness, or are they separate?

Any chance that you still have your install instructions, Birdman?
Old November 18th, 2008, 18:35   #4
mtltdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63.21/46.88/30.25

relay sockets are attached.
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:44   #5
Birdman
Veteran Member

I will look to see if they are still around. also the wiring above looks like an old one. Mine was a lot different. I believe you can buy just the harness from Webasto which would simplify things for you.
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:19   #6
mtltdi
Veteran Member

The kit was mfg in 2005 so I'm not sure if it's that old. I have the antena adapter from the crap North American Remote in there too, that's long gone.
Old November 19th, 2008, 15:31   #7
Birdman
Veteran Member

I did read that they changed the harness. One of the guys here sent an old 1 back and the new one was easier to use IIRC. It should not matter as long as you take your time and keep the install clean. I am using the American remote with no problems. Seems to have plenty of range what was yours doing. I do have most the parts for the OEM remote install I bought off Ebay-DE but never got the Ant. needed so am just going to sell the VW remote.
Old November 19th, 2008, 15:40   #8
kwgilpin
Veteran Member

Birdman,

Do you know when they changed the harness or how to identify one from the other?

Also, which remote setup are you considering selling? Is one of the Telestart models? If so, I might be interested.

-Kyle
Old November 19th, 2008, 17:29   #9
mtltdi
Veteran Member

My remote wouldn't work reliably from inside the house, in view of the car. The T100 is a nice toy.
Old November 21st, 2008, 21:28   #10
mikes tdi

considering the webasto heater for a 2005 passat tdi.
anyone here in the states sell and install them?
mikes tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 21:40   #11
Birdman
Veteran Member

My Ant works well from 50 feet away but I have the Ant. in the car installed up near the head liner. The one I bought off German Ebay was the OEM VW. It has the Euro 2 way Ant. 2 boxes 1 is a splitter, I think for the euro phones and radio and the remote. Lito who was going to help me hook it up said it was all that was needed except the big ant that people use for the Nav. radio and some wires. All of it is new I can send you pictures if you want.
I made the picture of the harness larger that mtltdi showed and it look pretty much like mine as best as I can anyway. All the wires were hooked together making it a clean install though it took a good part of the day running the wires to the tank to run the aux. pump to the heater and the wires to the heater switch to warm the inside of the car up. Lito was the real expert on the install as he had done 4 or 5 before mine but he is no longer around. I can copy the install manual and mail it to you if you PM me your address.

Last edited by Birdman; November 21st, 2008 at 21:44.
Old November 27th, 2008, 17:00   #12
duncgee

Quote:
My biggest concern is not having the car-specific molded coolant hoses. Can I get away with genertic coolant hose from my neighborhood auto parts store?
I am probably too late again, but in case not...and it might help future installers.

As far as I know the kit I fitted to the Jetta was a generic kit, but I have never seen another Webasto. I had to make up brackets from 1/8" x 1" flat bar but everything else was in the kit. The hose had a U bend near each end. It was all one diameter (1" ? to fit the Webasto) but there were adaptors to fit it to the Jetta hose which was larger (1 1/4" ?) I'm sure your local parts store will have hoses that are suitable but you may have to use connectors to join hoses together to get the shape of runs you want. The wiring loom cables all had much more length than needed. There are yards of cable tied up under the dash.

I connected to the fuel supply at the line coming down from the tank. I think if I did another install I would tee in after the filter. It would be much easier and the Webasto would have a filtered fuel supply.

Quote:
Has anyone else succeeded in a Webasto install by individually assembling all of the parts from eBay?
I also thought about buying from German eBay too. The kits on there seem to have all the parts included, Wiring, hoses, etc. Some have the T100 remote. Magic! I bought my kit from the UK

Quote:
Finally, can someone scan and post their Webasto Thermotop C install manual for an A4. It'd be helpful so that I can double check that I have everything I need.
I think everything in my manual is in this pdf
http://techwebasto.com/heater_main/t...hop/63378A.pdf
The wiring diagram on page 701 is very useful. From page 801 is installation although it is headed "Servicing"

Some links to pages that I found useful.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/130...supplement.pdf Webasto install but I didnít always follow the method shown.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=215209 Direction of water flow

http://www.techwebasto.com/marine_ma...2207C_2007.pdf Parts list

Here is the link to my questions during my Webasto install
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=228459
duncgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:10   #13
Birdman
Veteran Member

Those are some good papers to have, Mine only came with the install sheet. The one paper I would really like is how to hook up the telestart remote. I am using the Webasto one right now but I spent over 250 on German Ebay for the VW telestart. 1 Antenna 2 control boxes which I am not sure which one does what and the remote itself. I have been told that The Antenna needed for the US is the Triplex one. Did anyone get the complete manual for hooking up the Euro telestart remote.
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:06   #14
duncgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman
I spent over 250 on German Ebay for the VW telestart.
What one did you buy? I got the T100 so the fitting may be different.

The T100 has a self adhesive antenna which sticks to the top centre of the windscreen. The instructions are very specific about the distance from the top edge of the windscreen, something like 20mm. Cant be sure as the instruction booklet is a few thousand miles away!

The cable from the antenna I just pushed into the gap between the windscreen and the trim using a credit card. It went to the receiver which I fixed under the dash using an existing bolt or screw.

The loom which came with the T100 as I recall has three ends. I think there was a wide plug on this loom that connects to the receiver.

I think the other two plugs were similar but the color of the wires showed which one to connect to the main loom.

The other plug I believe could be fitted to the digital timer which I did not have.
Quote from my own install thread:-
"There is also another brown wire and a violet wire taped back and not connected to the plug."

I had everything laid out on the floor to see what connected to what, then I labelled all the plugs using masking tape.

I hope the above is some help. Sorry for being vague in parts but a few weeks seems to dim the memory even more nowadays.
duncgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 19:58   #15
kwgilpin
Veteran Member

Thanks for the all the replies, folks. My heater arrived in the mail from Germany yesterday, so now I'm trying to pull together all the other parts that I need for the install. Several questions:

1) Concerning routing the Webasto harness into the cabin: In my car, the hole in the firewall above the go pedal is already filled with several wires (EGT thermocouple and FM-100 side load heater). I plan to route through the watertight box in the plenum. In general, how do I deal with the existing wires that run through one of the grommets? More specifically:
a) Do I cut the existing grommet off the existing OEM wires?
b) How do I re-thread the OEM wires through the new grommet? Do they unplug from inside the watertight box?
c) What's the part number for the new grommet?
d) Why, exactly, do I need a new grommet?

2) How does the Webasto thermostat get wired into the vehicle's electric system? The Webasto manual shows it conanecting to an electrical bus labeled "61". What is this bus? tonglsi's document suggests splicing into the blue wire of the alternator harness. What is this wire?

3) What's the part number for the grommet the tongsli suggests using when passing the fuel dosing pump wires through sheel metal near the back seat (pg. 29)?

4) Birdman, I PM'd you my address. Can you still send me a copy of your install documents? If you don't object, I'll convert them to a PDF for all to see. Also, as I do my install, I plan to write a detailed how-to for other to use.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the time gets closer. I'm aiming to do the install over the Christmas holiday.