Any interesting shifter knobs out there?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I had one of those! I flew A/V-8B Harriers with it :D

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
if you could make the thumb joystick controll Ipod selection or something... LOL

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
initially i thought it was a genuinely silly idea, but the idea of a multi function switch on an automatics shift knob would not be such a bad idea. RF ipod controler and the like.

The buttons would certanly get in the way of the heel-toe / double clutch shifting.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
otm646 said:
initially i thought it was a genuinely silly idea, but the idea of a multi function switch on an automatics shift knob would not be such a bad idea. RF ipod controler and the like.
Indeed... come over to the dark side. I probably won't have time to move forward with hooking up the buttons (maybe never). Its actually really fun to just pretend you have secret weapons.

otm646 said:
The buttons would certanly get in the way of the heel-toe / double clutch shifting.
Surprisingly, even on my one quick test drive, I quickly found that I was shifting without touching any buttons... (I did the video below after the test drive, hence the "its fantastic" commment in the video) Will post a live action daylight video when the wife/kids will allow.

Last edited:

Jeece

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5 TDI
velociT said:
Too funny. Now you just need sidewinder missiles behind the headlights for left-lane campers.
Or for those pesky snipers hidden behind overpasses/signs with their laser/doppler "guns", those are tough... They never miss you no matter how fast you go. In fact they tend not to notice slower targets. :D

Very clever mod, Narf. Just resist the temptation/reflex of using combos while driving: Down-Down-Left-Up-Down-Right. I'd seriously consider to hook one of those button to a set of rear fog lights to deter tailgaters.

How's the reverse shift by the way? Not too hard to achieve?

Now you just need the thrust joystick to control with your left hand. :p Everybody prepare for ludicrous speed!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Jeece said:
Very clever mod, Narf. Just resist the temptation/reflex of using combos while driving: Down-Down-Left-Up-Down-Right.
LOL! Yeah what is the cheat code that removes all other cars from the road again?

I'd seriously consider to hook one of those button to a set of rear fog lights to deter tailgaters.
Yeah, I found a spare horn in basement and I was thinking of hooking it up under the rear bumper with the "extra brake lights" from the 5 brake light mod to provide a rear horn with brake lights! I figure this would effective and also less likely to be ticketed for.
How's the reverse shift by the way? Not too hard to achieve?
No problem at all. It is scary how well it fits.

Brian.Burress

Veteran Member
Copperas Cove, TX most of the Time, Lebanon, IN us
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, TipTronic GONE...
If I were able to get a cyclic grip out of an Apache that somehow didn't have to return to the supply system, I would do something very similar. (Once I get my manual transmission, that is):D

Mine would have much more buttons, though. I'll try to post a picture of one from work, if I am able to cut out the rest of the crewstation from the pic. Sorry guys, it's classified. Not allowed to show pics of the interior.

-Brian

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Yup, Winter is definitely setting in.
All kidding, aside job well done. When you get this mod to operate sidewinder missile and maybe a couple of .50 cal chainguns let me know. I'll defintely want it for my 06

TDI
2004 golf
Nitrous button? This may be one of the nerdiest things I have seen in awhile.. But also one of the coolest! Now that is creative thinking. I bet it has a good feel while shifting?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Take the oem hatswitch off!! MY EYES! MY EYES!

I love the whisper "it's fantastic". Can't stop laughing like an idiot, at my office, by myself, looking at my screen.

NarfBLAST said:
Added OEM hat switch...

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
LOL... I put the "OEM hatch switch" back on the original shifter and put it back, I couldn't stand the rattling buttons, the long throws and the weird shape any longer. Actually it was only in the car a couple of weeks, and I only pulled it out to fix the rattling buttons and perhaps add a small remote to power a 12V relay... but alas... it never went back in...

...but I will always have the memories of that first night in the car together, and the video.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
ScanguageII Inteface Project Start

Update: dusted off the thrustmaster and applied a liberal ammount of dielectric grease to each button: no more rattle, but the buttons still click. Moving forward I need to:

1) Build a wiring harness for the shifter side.

2) Build command module, where all the wires will terminate initially at bread board, probably with some LEDs, so I can test the switches.

3) Open my spare ScangaugeII (wife's car, my idea :D) and run wires for all the buttons to the outside of the case to the command module. Edit: After sleeping on it, I think it might be easier to use some relays with exposed mechanical arms to "press" the buttons remotely and save having to crack the case on the Scangauge.

Last edited:

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
If your going to go trough all that trouble might ass well crack the Scangauge. Come on you can do it.
Post up a video when your done :p

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
One year later...

Wired the buttons:

Hot glued everything away from shift stalk:

Tested with 12V relay and LEDs on bread board:

Next:

wire top hat with second 8 wire flat ribbon cable with RJ45 connector

Last edited:

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Pretty sweet idea NarfBLAST. Being a military pilot I have used that (near same) flight stick while flying. For some reason I can't help but think the angle of using it as a shifter would not feel right. Almost like it should sit higer, or me sit lower. How does it feel going through the gears?

Anyways, since your original post was "Any interesting shifters out there?", I thought I would post my shifter (from my Camaro).

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Pretty sweet idea NarfBLAST. Being a military pilot I have used that (near same) flight stick while flying. For some reason I can't help but think the angle of using it as a shifter would not feel right. Almost like it should sit higer, or me sit lower. How does it feel going through the gears?
That is funny, it does actually sit a couple of inches taller than the original so it shifts pretty nice you just have to grab it in the middle instead from the top like a normal shifter.

Anyways, since your original post was "Any interesting shifters out there?", I thought I would post my shifter (from my Camaro).
Definitely an interesting shifter! Thanks for the pic!