www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 16th, 2008, 14:56   #1
Racktacular

TDI(s): '09 Jetta
Default 2009 Jetta TDI and remote start

Anyone know what remote start is compatible with the '09 Jetta TDI? Is a remote start something that is okay to install in one of these as I heard that a remote start won't warm up a diesel engine. Is that true?

TIA

- Rack
Racktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 15:11   #2
dbdubb
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta

This will really depends on where you live. I think in general, Remote starting a TDI is not a great idea, however if you live in a warmer climate like Florida, you may be able to get away with it.

In cooler areas, when the tempature is cold, the glow plugs will need a few seconds to warm up before trying to start the car, thus if you tried it via remote start, it will be unsuccessful.

2006 Jetta TDI pkg2 - RC1+ - Black on Black - 184k before being sandwiched
dbdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 15:15   #3
kromicacid
Veteran Member

Diesel cars do not warm up during idling... Plus, idling when cold for diesels does not do anything good for the engine.
~ 2004 Jetta TDI GLS~ Platinum Grey ~ 110k miles
kromicacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 15:23   #4
velociT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30ish MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromicacid
Diesel cars do not warm up during idling... Plus, idling when cold for diesels does not do anything good for the engine.
As long as it's not cold outside, they will warm up by idling... just veeeeeeerrrrrrry slowly.

I might go idle mine up from cold just to see how long it would take in 60'F weather.

Boredom solved.
TDT for PD and now the Deuce Mafia Member #002

Then: 06 TDI 5M *sold*
Now: Ram 1500 ECSB, Subaru Impreza Estate | Both: CAI/Cat-back/Rotella T6
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 15:31   #5
Racktacular

Well, I live in Chicago. If it is 5 degrees outside and I leave it outside overnight, when I get in the car what is the proper procedure? If it doesn't warm up while idling then do I just start the engine and drive away without letting it idle for a few minutes? If so, I should keep the RPM's down until the engine is warmed up?
Old November 16th, 2008, 15:47   #6
kromicacid
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racktacular
Well, I live in Chicago. If it is 5 degrees outside and I leave it outside overnight, when I get in the car what is the proper procedure? If it doesn't warm up while idling then do I just start the engine and drive away without letting it idle for a few minutes? If so, I should keep the RPM's down until the engine is warmed up?
Yes, just get in and drive, no sitting around... I would have to say (im not a guru, just read alot) that you should not go WOT when cold though...

Best option will be a frostheater when it is available for the '09 and just leave it plugged in on a timer to come on 2-3 hours before you are ready to get moving in the morning.
Old November 16th, 2008, 15:57   #7
Racktacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromicacid
Yes, just get in and drive, no sitting around... I would have to say (im not a guru, just read alot) that you should not go WOT when cold though...

Best option will be a frostheater when it is available for the '09 and just leave it plugged in on a timer to come on 2-3 hours before you are ready to get moving in the morning.
Cool thanks. Got a website for that frostheater thing? I've never heard of one of those.
Old November 16th, 2008, 16:02   #8
kromicacid
Veteran Member

do a little search...

PM sent.
Old November 16th, 2008, 16:11   #9
velociT
Veteran Member

It took about 15 minutes of idling to get up to 190* in 60'F weather.

A frostheater would definitely be a better way to go.

Old November 16th, 2008, 18:22   #10
ARGH
Veteran Member

what do you guys mean that a diesel car will not warm up when it idles? i do not understand how it cannot since it is burning fuel idleing. i am new to diesels.
ARGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 18:24   #11
velociT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGH
what do you guys mean that a diesel car will not warm up when it idles? i do not understand how it cannot since it is burning fuel idleing. i am new to diesels.
Read the post. It does, it just takes about 15 minutes.

Old November 16th, 2008, 18:29   #12
ARGH
Veteran Member

what about in cold winter wheather, say -15 degrees? if it took you 15 minutes to reach warm temp in 60'F it appears that it will take 30 minutes of idle to reach a warm enough engine where the heater actually blows out hot air.
ARGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 18:48   #13
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
what about in cold winter wheather, say -15 degrees? if it took you 15 minutes to reach warm temp in 60'F it appears that it will take 30 minutes of idle to reach a warm enough engine where the heater actually blows out hot air.

THAT is the point.

When it is really cold outside the cars will NOT warm up no matter how long you let them idle.

There is just not enough waste heat produced.

Search is your friend and so are the stickies spread all over the forums.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:13   #14
CountryBoy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2002: 51MPG, 2009: 41 MPG

Quote:
Diesels are much more thermally efficient than gasoline engines. They don't produce enough waste heat (wasted energy!) in idling to effectively warm the car up. Diesel engines warm up under load, IE driving. Seat heaters are a wonderful thing for just that reason. Additionally, several folks have mentioned that the 2009's blow hot air well before the engine is warm, which means it has supplemental heat of some kind to warm the cabin air. So, no need to let the car idle for 15 minutes and risk engine damage.
Retired to Inlaws: 2002 Jetta TDI GLS | 5-Speed | 267k Miles and counting
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:50   #15
pawel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy
Diesels are much more thermally efficient than gasoline engines. They don't produce enough waste heat (wasted energy!) in idling to effectively warm the car up. Diesel engines warm up under load, IE driving. Seat heaters are a wonderful thing for just that reason. Additionally, several folks have mentioned that the 2009's blow hot air well before the engine is warm, which means it has supplemental heat of some kind to warm the cabin air. So, no need to let the car idle for 15 minutes and risk engine damage.
09 TDI have an electric heater, everytime I turn the fan on when it's cold I can hear electric relay clicking sound and warm air starts to blow from vents.
and when comes to cold starts, just start the engine, give it few seconds for the oil to get where it should be and START DRIVING. Keep your rpm's around 2000 and shift around 2500. when engine warms up (engine temp needle above second white mark), drive normaly.

Hella HID projector headlights, projector fog lights, highline ECM, Euro light switch, Euro LED tail lights with amber turn signals, rear fog light, Euro side mirrors, LED side markers, LED interior lights.
pawel is offline   Reply With Quote