www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:54   #1
robhegedus
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Default HID Projector Retrofit

Well I've got some bi-xenon projectors, shrouds, etc on order and I'm going to be retrofitting them into my stock housings. I've done a lot of reading up on retrofitting, but was just wondering if anyone on here has retrofitted a MKIV golf headlight. I know the Jetta has been done forsure.
What projectors did you use? How did it turn out? Any hints/tips/tricks/photos you'd like to share?
I will make sure to post pics when it's all said and done. Maybe even some how-to pics depending on how it goes.
2002 Golf 5spd: Malone Tuning Stage 3 tune, PP764's, G60/VR6 clutch, CCV mod, Cat/Muffler/Ventectomy, Mcnally Boost/EGT combo gauge, E55 Bi-Xenon Retrofit, Koni STR.T struts, Koni Red shocks, Audi TT LCA bushings
Courtesy of robnitro: "He can make 400 ft lbs easy but at 2 rpm, using the starter"
robhegedus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 13:44   #2
Hoodie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI

If I had a Golf I would just buy an OE or aftermarket solution. There are so many options that look nice and aren't rediculous looking like most of the aftermarket Jetta headlights.
Why bother hacking a set all to pieces when you could probably buy a used set of OE projector headlights and get a better/cleaner final result.

Sorry for the non-constructive post....Just my 2 cents.

And I kind of fell off the retrofit bandwagon so I am probably missing something....but why bi-xenons for a Golf? They have seperate high/lo bulbs unlike the Jetta? What are you going to do with the hi-beam part of the housing?

Last edited by Hoodie; November 13th, 2008 at 13:53.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 15:20   #3
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhegedus
Well I've got some bi-xenon projectors, shrouds, etc on order and I'm going to be retrofitting them into my stock housings. I've done a lot of reading up on retrofitting, but was just wondering if anyone on here has retrofitted a MKIV golf headlight. I know the Jetta has been done forsure.
What projectors did you use? How did it turn out? Any hints/tips/tricks/photos you'd like to share?
I will make sure to post pics when it's all said and done. Maybe even some how-to pics depending on how it goes.
scroll vortex MKIV FAQ. A guy there did both a Jetta and a Golf retrofit.

Found it: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3115601
Tired of winter yet? Have you had enough ice and snow? Is there really a difference between what you have been told to believe, by those who get grants, and what is really going on? Welcome to critical Thinking 101.
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1

Last edited by thebigarniedog; November 13th, 2008 at 17:01.
thebigarniedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 15:41   #4
robhegedus
Veteran Member

Thanks alot for the link. That should help me out.

As for the bi-xenon's...why not? I do a lot of highway commuting and during the winter most of that is in the dark. So I'm going to have 4 high beams which should be pretty awesome.

As for not going with an aftermarket solution there were two reasons I guess:
1 - Anything with a decent projectors are very expensive and hard to find.
2 - Anything affordable has a terrible cutoff and beam pattern.
So I decided to get some quality components and try doing it myself. I know it's going to be a challenge but it should be pretty rewarding when it's done.
2002 Golf 5spd: Malone Tuning Stage 3 tune, PP764's, G60/VR6 clutch, CCV mod, Cat/Muffler/Ventectomy, Mcnally Boost/EGT combo gauge, E55 Bi-Xenon Retrofit, Koni STR.T struts, Koni Red shocks, Audi TT LCA bushings
Courtesy of robnitro: "He can make 400 ft lbs easy but at 2 rpm, using the starter"
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:13   #5
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

my old Golf, I used a S2000 projector. They are one of the best projectors out there in low beam performance (second to the LS430).

Other good low beam projectors: TSX (great for the budget), RX330/350/400h AFS.
- 10 Specialized Secteur Elite
- some snowboards
20IndigoBlue02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 14:04   #6
aRd
Veteran Member

good on you, keep a build up thread on the forum updated.
aRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:04   #7
DucMike
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

Check out this thread on the Vortex as well. The important part starts about 2/3 of the way down the page, look for "brought one project home today". *Bi-xenon conversion*. If you have some time, check out the rest of the build. This guy has some serious talent.
2003 GTI 20th AE #3806
(Yea, I know. It's not a TDI but...)
DucMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 04:15   #8
robhegedus
Veteran Member

Hey guys...got the parts in the mail. Did a clear lens swap, then did a color mod...then fixed the hinge I broke on the cutoff shield doing the color mod...
Anywho...due to work schedule (work far up north in the boonies/far far away from my headlights) I haven't started the retrofit yet. Still keeping my eyes peeled in the plumbing sections of any hardware store I go into for the right pieces, but once I get started I'll keep you updated.
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:03   #9
mctdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta

FYI - The headlight lens will come off without baking it. Remove the metal clips, then with a medium steady pull, the rubber sealant will stretch, and tare. Do like a starfish.
The rubber sealant will reseal, too. But to be sure, I seal the seam with clear RTV silicone.
R.I.P. 2004 Golf 362,993 miles,
mctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:14   #10
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

It's a good thing the Mk4s have clear lenses... looking at those pics mounting the projectors behind the lenses with the pattern on them makes way too much glare.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 16:21   #11
robhegedus
Veteran Member

mctdi - Thanks for the tip...I'll give that a try and I'll only bake them if needed. I'm a little iffy about putting my headlights in the oven.
Old November 27th, 2008, 16:57   #12
mctdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhegedus
mctdi - Thanks for the tip...I'll give that a try and I'll only bake them if needed. I'm a little iffy about putting my headlights in the oven.
FYI - It is a bit slow going at first.
R.I.P. 2004 Golf 362,993 miles,
mctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 22:01   #13
mrwizard
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

cant wait to see some pictures!
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:03   #14
robhegedus
Veteran Member

Me too! haha...Probably won't happen until xmas break though due to work, wife, etc., so we're still a little ways off yet. But like I said, I'd really like to document it so I'll make sure to take some pics.
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:02   #15
unL33T
Veteran Member

I'd probably bake them if I were to take mine apart again. I did before but I don't think I did it long enough. I marked up the edges of the plastic pretty good prying it with stuff.